JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i would rather have too much to carry and start dropping the extra stuff i dont need along the way or trade off the extra stuff than have your flint lighter,22 and knife.
what is the reason for the shtf scenerio?if it was not nuclear or virus related then i can drop about 20lbs out of my b.o.b right now.
my ar10 is going to drop you before your 22 is even in range.
if i get wet in my escape in 20degree weather i will be glad i brought extra cloths or i might take your 22 and knife from your dead body after you died of hypothermia.
it sounds very rambo but the indians were raised from children in this environment and we are used to heated houses and showers.
besides the indians fell to the more armed"pail faces"who had rifles as you would with just a .22
i have my set up ready to drop off un~needed items as i decide they are just dead weight or i can desperse the extra weight to other members of the party but ammo is the #1 thing needed to survive no matter how much it weighs you will find a way to carry it or you might be someones dinner along the way.

i would not count the U.S. slipping to thrid world status as a SHTF thing... we are almost there, thats just life a this point, depressing as it is , thank your local politicain!

I have spent a lot of time in third world countries and our poorest people have it way better than they do. 100 million people starve to death in this world every year, and millions have no health care at all. Our poorest people have welfare, food stamps, medicaid and a TV set. We have sanitary sewers and treated water.

I don't argue that our system can't last as it's run, but we have a long way to go before we reach 3rd world status.

thrgggg2.jpg

thrgggg3.jpg

thrgggg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i would rather have too much to carry and start dropping the extra stuff i dont need along the way or trade off the extra stuff than have your flint lighter,22 and knife.
what is the reason for the shtf scenerio?if it was not nuclear or virus related then i can drop about 20lbs out of my b.o.b right now.
my ar10 is going to drop you before your 22 is even in range.
if i get wet in my escape in 20degree weather i will be glad i brought extra cloths or i might take your 22 and knife from your dead body after you died of hypothermia.
it sounds very rambo but the indians were raised from children in this environment and we are used to heated houses and showers.
besides the indians fell to the more armed"pail faces"who had rifles as you would with just a .22
i have my set up ready to drop off un~needed items as i decide they are just dead weight or i can desperse the extra weight to other members of the party but ammo is the #1 thing needed to survive no matter how much it weighs you will find a way to carry it or you might be someones dinner along the way.

There isn't a single one of us who really knows how to survive long term by just walking out into the wilderness with what we can carry.

No offense, but the Indians killed an awful lot of pale faces with those arrows. In the end they didn't win, but they got their share in the meantime.

Keep your AR-10. The ammo is too heavy. If you walk by a guy with a .22lr and he sees you first, you're dead. He's carrying 2,000 rounds and you're carrying 200. Now he has a .22 and an AR-10 at his little lean-to, LOL.

Folks can learn to adapt to harsh conditions pretty quick. 1200 Jewish civilians including women and children survived in dugouts for several years in the forests of Poland during WWII (see 'Bielski brothers'). Can it be done alone? Sure. Old time trappers and prospectors did it, but by far your best bet is to form or join a social unit.

Keith

There isn't a single one of us who really knows how to survive long term by just walking out into the wilderness with what we can carry.

No offense, but the Indians killed an awful lot of pale faces with those arrows. In the end they didn't win, but they got their share in the meantime.

Keep your AR-10. The ammo is too heavy. If you walk by a guy with a .22lr and he sees you first, you're dead. He's carrying 2,000 rounds and you're carrying 200. Now he has a .22 and an AR-10 at his little lean-to, LOL.

that may happen to you but im a little more prepared than that,i will have my ar10 and use his .22lr for a tent stake.lol.
track your deer 5 miles into the woods after a 22 shot and mine will drop on the spot..22 is a cool toy though dont get me wrong,i like to shoot cans too!

that may happen to you but im a little more prepared than that,i will have my ar10 and use his .22lr for a tent stake.lol.
track your deer 5 miles into the woods after a 22 shot and mine will drop on the spot..22 is a cool toy though dont get me wrong,i like to shoot cans too!

The .22lr is the most underrated round on the planet. Counting poachers, I'll bet there have been more deer killed with a .22 than any other caliber.

The .22lr is the most underrated round on the planet. Counting poachers, I'll bet there have been more deer killed with a .22 than any other caliber.

i know they are,im just having fun with ya.my first deer was a spike with a 22lr opensights when i was 17 and he dropped right where i hit him.its shot placement but if it were a person packing a backpack or tactical vest i really would rather have a larger caliber than a
.22,i dont think i would want to pack my ar10 because as you mentioned about 200 rounds is all you can carry before it weighs you down.i think a .223 is about right,it would go through a backpack and 1 box off 100 rounds is about the same size and weight as i a box of 20 rounds for my ar10.and that ar15 can have all the accessories on it and still weigh less than the ar10.

i know they are,im just having fun with ya.my first deer was a spike with a 22lr opensights when i was 17 and he dropped right where i hit him.its shot placement but if it were a person packing a backpack or tactical vest i really would rather have a larger caliber than a
.22,i dont think i would want to pack my ar10 because as you mentioned about 200 rounds is all you can carry before it weighs you down.i think a .223 is about right,it would go through a backpack and 1 box off 100 rounds is about the same size and weight as i a box of 20 rounds for my ar10.and that ar15 can have all the accessories on it and still weigh less than the ar10.

The AR-15 is a dandy and I agree about round weight. However, I have some cases of 1,000 rounds and I couldn't carry one long distance along with other needed items.

I'm serious. If I had to bug out into the wilderness "forever" I'd take my Remington Nylon 66, my Ruger Standard 6", and 1500 - 2000 rounds of .22lr.

Truth be known, I'll never bug out like that. Some things are worth dying for and I'm not a runner. I have everything I need here, and I'll die for it. I'll take some with me, too. :s0155:

Folks can learn to adapt to harsh conditions pretty quick. 1200 Jewish civilians including women and children survived in dugouts for several years in the forests of Poland during WWII (see 'Bielski brothers'). Can it be done alone? Sure. Old time trappers and prospectors did it, but by far your best bet is to form or join a social unit.

Keith

Good point there actually a couple dvd's on it anyone interested in watching

Netflix - Unlimited TV Shows & Movies Online

<broken link removed>

It reminds of parts of Detroit and some other large cities, if our infrastructure keeps collapsing like it is, this will be every major city in the U.S. in another 30 years or less. our infrastructure is failing fast and the cities, states and fed's have pissed away the funds to pay for it along with private corporations have payed out money in revenues rather re-invest into the power lines, sub stations and under ground pipelines. Anyone eremeber the 2003 blackout of parts of Ohio, Michigan, pennsylvania, western new york and ontario. i do i lived through part of it and it was 10 times worse than ever reported. And the infrastructure is in worse condition now than it was then with every large city, state. fed and pwoer companies in wrose condition than then. one big hickup and vavoom you have the above in no time

A lot of people romanticize our "Indians" here in the US. My great great grandmother was Comanche and kin of Quanah Parker (the last great Indian leader) and my other side of the family is full of Cherokee and many were married to white folk and well here I am blond and blue with a granny who never wore a coat but wore a blanket and no underwear.

I learned some of those Indian "gatherer" skills and I am blessed to have learned from people who truly had hardship, economic and environmental, but what they all had in common was being prepared as well as they could be. It was a hard life for the most part from what I can see from my kinfolk and security was not always assured. They did not expect to get anything without a lot of old fashion work and they all accepted death as part of life.

SOOOOOO as my sons get into their 30's...I see the typical younger generation that had very little hardship, so of course they will be at a disadvantage when money fails because sometimes money can't buy you what you really need.

And per my family experiences sometimes you can have more animals than you can feed thru a winter and the government pays you a $1.00 for each pig you kill and bury so the market won't fall even farther and you give away or trade all you can but you can't transport meat to the people who are hungry so even giving them away won't work. Sometimes you eat the dog. Sometimes you salt the tumbleweed to feed to your starving stock when there is piles of wheat 10 miles away rotting beside the railways because there is no market to pay for the transportation of the wheat.

The biggest problem with surviving will be mental shock to the generations of people who really haven't seen widespread hunger in this country. I grew up eating beans at least 3-4 times a week and not much meat except for seasoning, but all the food we could get out of the garden and collect from the wild like weeds in their season.

That's when us older folks that had relatives that were raised to forage, gather, hunt, and make do will be needed. *grin* We remember when greens had to really be "looked" or cleaned multiple times to get all that sand and bugs out of them...so we would have more patience. At the very least we could "chew" the food for the babies when there is no "baby food" on the shelves. :)

BTW...my sons will have a little bit of an advantage over other 30 yr olds...they were fed a good diet of homemade bread, beans, taters, as well as plenty of meat cause we were blessed to have it...so IF they had to...they could survive on beans and taters and greens and cornbread, but my daughter in laws would perish relatively fast so I'll have less folks to grind wheat or corn for. LOL!

90% of all Jews in Poland died in the Holocaust. In fact, 3 million, or about 1/2 of all Holocaust deaths were in Poland. 1 million were children.

Talking about Indians and trappers and traders is irrelevant. There was a very low population and they could kill game. Even then many Indians starved in winters.

These people had real hardships, and they didn't start out in the lap of luxury as we are. They didn't have much for life expectancy, either.

Anyone who thinks he's going to bug out into the wilderness if it's total SHTF and live just fine until he's 90 is nuts IMHO.

My hope is in God. After that if TSHTF, my plan is to stay with my home and preps and garden and defend it. If I fail, I die.

Anyone who thinks he's going to bug out into the wilderness if it's total SHTF and live just fine until he's 90 is nuts IMHO.

My hope is in God. After that if TSHTF, my plan is to stay with my home and preps and garden and defend it. If I fail, I die.

+1

Too old and slow to do much foraging, nor at this stage of life would I want to.

Muzzle loader rate of fire, 4 rounds per minute, single shot cartige rifle, 7 rounds per minute. Indian long bow, 15 arrows per minute with extreme accurcy. Custer never had a chance.
As to Indians starving. This was not a problem until whiteman invaded the Americas and persued a vinue of geneocide. Or, our way or dead.
If you are depending on your high school education on the Native Americans you will find yourself lied to from the time you started the class.

Muzzle loader rate of fire, 4 rounds per minute, single shot cartige rifle, 7 rounds per minute. Indian long bow, 15 arrows per minute with extreme accurcy. Custer never had a chance.
As to Indians starving. This was not a problem until whiteman invaded the Americas and persued a vinue of geneocide. Or, our way or dead.
If you are depending on your high school education on the Native Americans you will find yourself lied to from the time you started the class.

My background has 5 years of Native American study's. College. Real eye opener.

I spent 3 days hiking and studying the site of "Custer's last stand." The army didn't use muzzle loaders and neither did many of the Indians use arrows. The Army had Springfield "Trapdoors" and many Indians had rifles. Custer was shot in the chest and head by rifles.

Custer and the rest of the army lost that battle not due to weapons, but due to being surprised by overwhelmingly large numbers of very angry and determined joint forces of Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho Indians. It is likely that there were Sioux there too, as it is known as a battle of the Great Sioux War.

Custer was simply surprised and ambushed by very angry, well armed and determined Indians who were waiting for him and who attacked rather than running as he expected.

Some say the battle on the "last stand hill" lasted less than a minute.

I spent 3 days hiking and studying the site of "Custer's last stand." The army didn't use muzzle loaders and neither did many of the Indians use arrows. The Army had Springfield "Trapdoors" and many Indians had rifles. Custer was shot in the chest and head by rifles.

Custer and the rest of the army lost that battle not due to weapons, but due to being surprised by overwhelmingly large numbers of very angry and determined joint forces of Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho Indians. It is likely that there were Sioux there too, as it is known as a battle of the Great Sioux War.

Custer was simply surprised and ambushed by very angry, well armed and determined Indians who were waiting for him and who attacked rather than running as he expected.

Some say the battle on the "last stand hill" lasted less than a minute.

Custer had it coming. So many points in which he could have turned around or called things off. But he was so worried that the women and children in the village might escape that he pushed onward. And as you pointed out, he didn't come up against a rear guard action that time around. Rather a whole lot of natives who were fed up with their way of life being threatened and their land taken from them.

If I was in their situation would I do any less? Nope.

-d

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews