JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why you shooting so many squirrels? Not judging just curious.
Haven't shot any yet. Just gearing up, as the WCS tube trap has gotten too finicky. Usually take out two or three a year. But their numbers and boldness have exploded lately. They damage the bird feeder, chase the birds away, and have become far too exploratory. Now they come up onto the deck like they own it. I had to chase two out of the garage yesterday. In my view, it's simply prudent damage control.

They eat my bamboo shoots if I don't get rid of them this time of year. As in 100% of the shoots. All of the squirrels here are invasive. I would not shoot a native squirrel personally unless I really had to but they have been pretty much totally displaced by the introduced invasive squirrels so the chance of seeing a native one in my area is pretty much zero.
Back in Illinois I moved into a new rental property that had a pecan tree on it. I was excited to get some fresh pecans. The squirrels were apparently more excited to get them pecans.

Not a single pecan made it to full ripeness nor fell from that tree. Damn squirrels ate every last one. Back east it was big red squirrels we called fox squirrels. Not sure if that's the correct name for them but those bubblegumers got huge.

Edit: yep they're called fox squirrels and apparently the largest squirrel species in North America. Which doesn't surprise me due to how fat those buggers got.

Back in Illinois I moved into a new rental property that had a pecan tree on it. I was excited to get some fresh pecans. The squirrels were apparently more excited to get them pecans.

Not a single pecan made it to full ripeness nor fell from that tree. Damn squirrels ate every last one. Back east it was big red squirrels we called fox squirrels. Not sure if that's the correct name for them but those bubblegumers got huge.

Edit: yep they're called fox squirrels and apparently the largest squirrel species in North America. Which doesn't surprise me due to how fat those buggers got.
Yep eastern fox squirrels are the ones I've been shooting. Introduced in Oregon by odfw I forget the year 1920's or 30's maybe? Eatern grey squirrels were also introduced here and are everywhere.

Yep eastern fox squirrels are the ones I've been shooting. Introduced in Oregon by odfw I forget the year 1920's or 30's maybe? Eatern grey squirrels were also introduced here and are everywhere.
"Introduced in Oregon by odfw " Classic. There's a big one that shows up here from time to time. Looks like a giant compared to the grays. Very bold. Doesn't scare off. Just stands his ground, making tail threats. He's my #1 target...just to even things out.

My house is over 75 years old, hence absolutely rodent-proofing it may be nigh on impossible, though I do what I can.

I thought it was pretty neat to have squirrels in the trees around the house.

Until they moved in. Eradication procedures were engaged, and now I will not allow any NEAR the house.

My house is over 75 years old, hence absolutely rodent-proofing it may be nigh on impossible, though I do what I can.

I thought it was pretty neat to have squirrels in the trees around the house.

Until they moved in. Eradication procedures were engaged, and now I will not allow any NEAR the house.
In coddled urban America, a popular notion is that Mother Nature is gentle and kind. As part of work, I've spent long period living in the bush in the Far North. Mother Nature isn't the least bit kind. She couldn't care less if I die out there. She owns the world. She and her creatures want it back. Because of a popular TV show, Japanese kids fell in love with "cute" little racoons. They got their parents to import young racoons as pets. Once these "little darlings" got big, they stopped being cute and were turned loose. They've multiplied, taken residence in thousand year-old wooden temples and chewed the crap out of them. Now there's a small army of professional racoon hunters killing racoons. I don't have anything personal against wildlife. I've love Nature, love being outdoors hunting and fishing. But I have no illusions about "cute" little squirrels.

In coddled urban America, a popular notion is that Mother Nature is gentle and kind. As part of work, I've spent long period living in the bush in the Far North. Mother Nature isn't the least bit kind. She couldn't care less if I die out there. She owns the world. She and her creatures want it back. Because of a popular TV show, Japanese kids fell in love with "cute" little racoons. They got their parents to import young racoons as pets. Once these "little darlings" got big, they stopped being cute and were turned loose. They've multiplied, taken residence in thousand year-old wooden temples and chewed the crap out of them. Now there's a small army of professional racoon hunters killing racoons. I don't have anything personal against wildlife. I've love Nature, love being outdoors hunting and fishing. But I have no illusions about "cute" little squirrels.
YEP. LOT's of "nature" is great fun to watch. It has to come with an ounce (or more) of common sense. Humans have been for a long time importing animals from one place to another with poor results. Starlings are another great example. In the farming area's here they are a PITA and have to be controlled. The way its done is not pretty but has to be done.
The cute little gray squirrel's we have up in my area are a lot like rats. They can be a real problem when they run out of places to live due to an easy life and little predication.
I have long fed them where I lived but, had plenty of room for them and plenty of other critters that see those fat little suckers as a nice meal. Had a couple women I dated long ago that could not handle seeing it. Watching the furry and winged feeding in the back was great fun until they watched a larger winged predator take one for a meal. Had a couple who were shocked that I was not horrified watching this happen. I would tell them you are seeing "nature" for what it really is. Its not cute and cuddley. It is a food chain of which we are apex. The predators have to eat too and serve a purpose.
Now that I live on a VERY large area its even more fun. As long as the predator's do not eat my pets and stock they are welcome. Couple smaller hawks hunt here and are harmless to our dogs. They do take the furry critters I feed. Now and then both bald and brown eagles will come to hunt too. Now those if given a chance would take one of the dogs. Here the crow population comes in handy. They set off the alarm telling me the eagle is hunting and they attack them VERY relentlessly during the time they have young. Fun to watch the battle. Even the wild dogs that hunt here I feed. Keep the rabbit population up. We love watching them. The wild dogs like to eat them. As long as the dogs stay clear of my stock and pets we get along fine. I may have to kill one of the dogs one day and will be sad if I have too but, I and my pets are apex here. :D

YEP. LOT's of "nature" is great fun to watch. It has to come with an ounce (or more) of common sense. Humans have been for a long time importing animals from one place to another with poor results. Starlings are another great example. In the farming area's here they are a PITA and have to be controlled. The way its done is not pretty but has to be done.
The cute little gray squirrel's we have up in my area are a lot like rats. They can be a real problem when they run out of places to live due to an easy life and little predication.
I have long fed them where I lived but, had plenty of room for them and plenty of other critters that see those fat little suckers as a nice meal. Had a couple women I dated long ago that could not handle seeing it. Watching the furry and winged feeding in the back was great fun until they watched a larger winged predator take one for a meal. Had a couple who were shocked that I was not horrified watching this happen. I would tell them you are seeing "nature" for what it really is. Its not cute and cuddley. It is a food chain of which we are apex. The predators have to eat too and serve a purpose.
Now that I live on a VERY large area its even more fun. As long as the predator's do not eat my pets and stock they are welcome. Couple smaller hawks hunt here and are harmless to our dogs. They do take the furry critters I feed. Now and then both bald and brown eagles will come to hunt too. Now those if given a chance would take one of the dogs. Here the crow population comes in handy. They set off the alarm telling me the eagle is hunting and they attack them VERY relentlessly during the time they have young. Fun to watch the battle. Even the wild dogs that hunt here I feed. Keep the rabbit population up. We love watching them. The wild dogs like to eat them. As long as the dogs stay clear of my stock and pets we get along fine. I may have to kill one of the dogs one day and will be sad if I have too but, I and my pets are apex here. :D
Very fun narrative. Thanks for sharing. One one minor correction: "It is a food chain of which we are apex." When I'm sleeping outside in tent in an area where there are large numbers of huge Brown bears, it's very clear who the real Apex predator is. And it ain't me.

Very fun narrative. Thanks for sharing. One one minor correction: "It is a food chain of which we are apex." When I'm sleeping outside in tent in an area where there are large numbers of huge Brown bears, it's very clear who the real Apex predator is. And it ain't me.
I hear you but, humans long ago invented ways to make us apex among even the large meat eaters. One important thing is humans have to choose to be prepared. A LOT of the one party has watched too much Disney and thinks those animals "cute". When one of them gets eaten? They find out how "cute" those animals are. Even among other humans we all get to choose to be apex or food. I have made a LOT of people angry when they proudly tell me they would never have a gun in their home. I have never bothered to try to wake people like that up. I just shrug and say "bad people have to eat too." When they realize what I mean by this they of course get REAL angry. I could care less. I choose not to be food. :s0092:

Well bring a gun next time. :D

:s0111:
I was always well-armed, out in the middle of nowhere. When a big bear - a Brownie or a Polar bear - gets pissed, he's going to come at you like a Mac truck. The skull is damn near impenetrable, and the rest is 800 to 1100 pounds of fat and muscle. Out in the bush one time, I was talking to two Canadian researchers. A polar bear had just charged them. The head-on shots they took just bounced off the sloping skull. No matter how well-armed you are, when a big bear starts making serious threats - growling, drooling streams of saliva, foot stamping - your nervous system takes over.

I was always well-armed, out in the middle of nowhere. When a big bear - a Brownie or a Polar bear - gets pissed, he's going to come at you like a Mac truck. The skull is damn near impenetrable, and the rest is 800 to 1100 pounds of fat and muscle. Out in the bush one time, I was talking to two Canadian researchers. A polar bear had just charged them. The head-on shots they took just bounced off the sloping skull. No matter how well-armed you are, when a big bear starts making serious threats - growling, drooling streams of saliva, foot stamping - your nervous system takes over.
Yep, we're supposed to be afraid of them. It's a survival trait.

Notice though that if not for laws protecting animals like this they would be gone. Only place people would see them is in a zoo. Man has been apex for a long enough time that we had to make laws to keep humans from wiping out the animals who were at one time top of the food chain.
Kinda like wolves. Humans went so full on eradicating them that we threw the natural balance out of whack in many ecosystems.

I watched a good documentary about the reintroduction of wolves into Yellowstone. Without wolves deers and other herbivores got out of control which lead to a number of problems.

It's too much for me to type out here but it's interesting on how much the ecosystem improved by wolves adding balance back.

Kinda like wolves. Humans went so full on eradicating them that we threw the natural balance out of whack in many ecosystems.

I watched a good documentary about the reintroduction of wolves into Yellowstone. Without wolves deers and other herbivores got out of control which lead to a number of problems.

It's too much for me to type out here but it's interesting on how much the ecosystem improved by wolves adding balance back.
Humans have LONG been screwing things up like that. Then after they find they made a mess have to go back and try to undo what they did.

Anyone who has spent very much time in the wild, and especially anyone who has actually lived in the wild knows that there exists absolutely no "balance". Scientists who have lived in the wild are the first to tell you this.

This is a myth perpetrated primarily by those who have never been challenged by a life in the wild where EXTREMES are the norm, and wild fluctuations are the regular order of the day: In animal populations, in climate, and in natural disasters (fire, etc.). The myth centers around an idea that if humans just left well enough alone, all in the wild would stabilize.

Not so.

Nature does not "strive for", nor "seek", nor "gravitate toward" ANY sort of balance, and it never has existed. Anywhere.

Wolf introduction to Yellowstone Park may well have been a good idea, and riparian zones there do show some improvement from the ungulate population no longer habitually gathering there. (The Wolves figured out where they were pretty quick.)

And the Wolves in Yellowstone have multiplied far beyond the population biologists originally stipulated as the introduction's goal for the park. They illustrate Nature's propensity for extremes. Not balance.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews