JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Thank you Blitz for bringing this up.

Joe, I guess I'm a little confused at your goal here as well.

Why have a Preparedness and Survival forum if we are STRICTLY (and vaguely) prohibited from speaking on topics Non-Firearm related?

Why do we have a "What did you do today to Prep" thread STICKIED if it doesn't adhere to the forums guidelines?

Why do your Mods close a thread without ANY word to the original poster or anybody about WHY it was closed? How do we learn what today's rules are if there's no communication? (I had a thread closed last week for no apparent reason with no word, not even a private message describing the transgression, so to me it was simply censorship for the sake of censorship.)

I don't have a lot of time to bounce around various forums on the internet.

I guess what I'm looking for is one where I can talk about Family, Firearms, Classifieds, Politics and Current Events.

If this forum is not that forum I'd like to know now, before I sign up on some newly designed forum you are creating.

Some have expressed an aversion to the "tin foil hat" threads/comments. In the Preparedness and Survival forum what you are preparing for and how to survive it would definitely be considered tinfoil hat stuff to some. Again those that are non-believers in the apocalyptic or why we are heading there, need not open the thread. I dabble in it a bit and find it interesting myself.

I didn't read the whole thread... skimmed most, though.

Here's my take (as someone I'm sure would be on one of these ban lists):

We have some hyer-reactional members that FREAK OUT when they see things posted that don't keyhole their narrow perspective. That's what turns most threads hostile. Guys like Taku who have actually, literally, suggested violence against members of this board as an ideal retribution for posting opinions outside of his scope. But the extremists of any group get protected by the group... so when it comes to the extremists of this board battling it out with moderates deemed left-of-center, the extremists will win popular support. Cuz you know... yea, they're extreme... but they're just keeping it real, right?

The problem is the people who can't handle differing viewpoints.

Simple. The right to those tools to protect myself, my family and property and my community. Ten separate SCOTUS rulings have maintained the police are under no obligation to protect individuals or their property; it is my duty and obligation to protect myself. This doesn't mean I have to be a jackwad and walk around the streets with a rifle slung across my back just for the shock value. Should a riot occur, such as the ones in LA following the O.J. Simpson trial, you can bet I will have my rifle ready to protect my interest in the same way those Korean business owners were doing in LA. For personal, everyday protection a concealed hand gun is adequate. I harbor no illusions about myself being some macho warrior living out fantasies; I don't bluster. I'm too old to be even in the unorganized militia under the strictures of U.S. Code chapter 10 but I still retain the right to keep arms and bear them as the situation warrants.

So, you see, we are not so different on this issue. Other social issues I may look at from a different perspective which doesn't jibe with the Right wing but on guns we stand together.

Jim

How do you balance the conflict between supporting social liberals for public office and the desire to retain your 2A freedoms, or do you. You see I have no conflict there. I believe in self reliance, being self supporting and that freedom of choice is what makes this country great and prosperous.

I guess with the exception that I do not believe that giving a man a fish is the way to make him independent and self reliant, we aren't that different. Thanks for the reply.

Scott

And yes... I will admit to slightly trolling some conspiracy-theory threads. Low-hanging fruit can't be resisted, sometimes. Some of the bubblegum people post on this board is absolutely insane.

I didn't read the whole thread... skimmed most, though.

Here's my take (as someone I'm sure would be on one of these ban lists):

We have some hyer-reactional members that FREAK OUT when they see things posted that don't keyhole their narrow perspective. That's what turns most threads hostile. Guys like Taku who have actually, literally, suggested violence against members of this board as an ideal retribution for posting opinions outside of his scope. But the extremists of any group get protected by the group... so when it comes to the extremists of this board battling it out with moderates deemed left-of-center, the extremists will win popular support. Cuz you know... yea, they're extreme... but they're just keeping it real, right?

The problem is the people who can't handle differing viewpoints.

Never once have I suggested violence against anyone on this forum.
That is a direct outright lie, but to be expected from you .
You find and show me one instance.

Never once have I suggested violence against anyone on this forum.
That is a direct outright lie, but to be expected from you .
You find and show me one instance.

I said you suggested it as an ideal retribution- make sure you're understanding what you're reading.

It's going to be difficult to sift through your mountain of posts, but I shall! Wasn't that long ago.

I said you suggested it as an ideal retribution- make sure you're understanding what you're reading.

It's going to be difficult to sift through your mountain of posts, but I shall! Wasn't that long ago.

You just spouted a crap lie so back it up.
You cant because it didnt happen !
And it is you that has a tizzy fit sarcasm at anything not left minded.

Ben,

what point would you be proving? Can we just move along instead of calling people out? Its pretty childish. If you want to be helpful to your left leaning compatriots, maybe advocate ( as you posted in #72 of this thread) trolling less or ignore the threads that bother you.
We can be part of the solution or the problem....
Just sayin...

Trlsmn,

I've been a moderator before. I know it's a tough job.

I don't know if you read my post, but my $0.02 on the topic was that you should inform a person WHY their thread was closed. Otherwise it's just another black-op against the users.

There's no benefit to that.

Lets try to keep this on topic guys. Taku, I've read your posts and I'll be getting back to them once I have a bit more time.

Just want to touch on a couple things quickly.

Thank you Blitz for bringing this up.

Joe, I guess I'm a little confused at your goal here as well.

Why have a Preparedness and Survival forum if we are STRICTLY (and vaguely) prohibited from speaking on topics Non-Firearm related?

Why do we have a "What did you do today to Prep" thread STICKIED if it doesn't adhere to the forums guidelines?

Why do your Mods close a thread without ANY word to the original poster or anybody about WHY it was closed? How do we learn what today's rules are if there's no communication? (I had a thread closed last week for no apparent reason with no word, not even a private message describing the transgression, so to me it was simply censorship for the sake of censorship.)

I don't have a lot of time to bounce around various forums on the internet.

I guess what I'm looking for is one where I can talk about Family, Firearms, Classifieds, Politics and Current Events.

If this forum is not that forum I'd like to know now, before I sign up on some newly designed forum you are creating.

The question is whether the site be strictly firearm-related, only whether or not we should allow political discussion not related to firearms.

Trlsmn,

I've been a moderator before. I know it's a tough job.

I don't know if you read my post, but my $0.02 on the topic was that you should inform a person WHY their thread was closed. Otherwise it's just another black-op against the users.

There's no benefit to that.

Along with the new version of NWFA comes many additional moderator tools, including one specifically for this purpose. Once the new site launches moderators will be required to contact the user anytime a thread is closed, post deleted, infraction given, etc.

As it should be, Joe. I'm a member (and global moderator) of an invitation only gun forum where we, as a membership, have self moderated to keep profanity and questionable NSFW graphics off the general forum and in an area only accessible by membership status (established by the quality of your cumulative posts in the general forum) and at your request. In other words, you have to be open to being the singular focal point of ridicule in a thread, should that ever happen. Requirements also include an adult attitude and a thick skin.

I view a gun forum like the old pot bellied stove in the mercantile store where folks got together and talked hunting, fishing, the government, society, and each other. It makes the site a home, rather than a store front.

I apparently can't access quite a large portion of interactions Taku and I have had...

Capture.jpg

It will only display 9 of our 30 matches, and when I click on the next page, nothing pops up. Are these deleted threads?

I'm pretty sure the exact post I'm thinking of was in the thread he started right around the time of the big thread Trlsmn started addressing Obama supporters (in which Taku laid down some thinly veiled, but apparently not directly threatening posts, also... check it out.... Classic)- http://www.northwestfirearms.com/le...tion-obama-voters-about-second-amendment.html

Anybody remember the thread I'm talking about? I can't even remember what the topic was... but I remember that he edited the OP a time or two, and kept freaking out that certain members didn't honor his request to not post in the thread. LOL. I think the topic was something along the lines of what are we going to do about all the libs on this board?

Dude got CRAZY hostile.

---

The comment about Taku aside (which I 100% stand by and am continuing to research, as per his challenge)-

Did I not hit the nail on the head?? Does anyone here think that thread hostility and closings are caused by the existence and posting of liberal members?? You'd rather have a board where everyone agrees and insane conspiracy and extremism are left to fly down rabbit holes unchallenged? You really want this place to become a hub of Alex Jones videos?

Capture.jpg

Standing against those whose purpose in life is the physical destruction of America and the enslavement of it's people cannot be called politics in any democratic use of the term, it is more akin to counter-terrorism in a non-physical sense.

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to it's children" ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Those "liberals" which many on this board snipe at are not a monolithic bloc. My hide is thick and my values are strong and we "liberal" gun owners stand with you on the 2nd A even if we oppose you on other issues.
There are many shades of Conservatives on this board as well. Most of us are not one issue voters until, like now, that issue is in jeopardy. I'd bet that even though I tend to use the term Lib in a negative light, many here would be surprised at my lib views on more than a few issues. I'm afraid it's time to prioritize your Votes for the 2nd A for now though.
I have to hold my nose and vote the" least worst" every time.

Standing against those whose purpose in life is the physical destruction of America and the enslavement of it's people cannot be called politics in any democratic use of the term, it is more akin to counter-terrorism in a non-physical sense.

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world it leaves to it's children" ~ Dietrich Bonhoeffer

:s0155::s0155::s0155::s0155:

I apparently can't access quite a large portion of interactions Taku and I have had...

View attachment 78022

It will only display 9 of our 30 matches, and when I click on the next page, nothing pops up. Are these deleted threads?

I'm pretty sure the exact post I'm thinking of was in the thread he started right around the time of the big thread Trlsmn started addressing Obama supporters (in which Taku laid down some thinly veiled, but apparently not directly threatening posts, also... check it out.... Classic)- http://www.northwestfirearms.com/le...tion-obama-voters-about-second-amendment.html

Anybody remember the thread I'm talking about? I can't even remember what the topic was... but I remember that he edited the OP a time or two, and kept freaking out that certain members didn't honor his request to not post in the thread. LOL. I think the topic was something along the lines of what are we going to do about all the libs on this board?

Dude got CRAZY hostile.

---

The comment about Taku aside (which I 100% stand by and am continuing to research, as per his challenge)-

Did I not hit the nail on the head?? Does anyone here think that thread hostility and closings are caused by the existence and posting of liberal members?? You'd rather have a board where everyone agrees and insane conspiracy and extremism are left to fly down rabbit holes unchallenged? You really want this place to become a hub of Alex Jones videos?

I don't even want to remember the many veiled and not so veiled comments about hostile action against the Govt. and Govt. officials by more than a few here. It's a wonder the secret service hasn't shut us down yet. Who? I seriously don't remember as I avoid these discussions like the plague!

The problem is not political discussion that is gun related, but all of the "anti" and "pro" everything else. Around here we shouldn't care if someone is "Conservative," "Liberal," "Constitutionalist," "Libertarian," "Democrat," "Republican," or any other label. People are open to their own opinions, and that includes how deeply they care (or not) about gun related politics. It also includes how they feel non-gun specific policy (health care, marriage, taxes, military, international aide, you name it) relates to gun-policy. Anything can be made to relate in some way to anything else. For these reasons the more gun-specific political discussion can be, the more united and effective our actions as pro-gun people can be. Stuff about OR SB1551 is relevant; stuff about the President's health care bill really isn't. Dividing ourselves based on political views outside of gun policy is self defeating.

I can tell you right now that this site will always be open to and welcome people of dissenting opinion, the benefits of doing so are numerous. As soon as I have time I'm going to address the community as a whole as to this entire two party liberal/conservative fallacy that seems to have everyone so enthralled, and the fact that so many of you treat others on here so poorly, as if they're the enemy. If you think either party is working in your favor, you're sadly mistaken. Trying to figure out where someone lies on a simple left-right line is foolish, people are much more complex, and all this does is breed animosity and hurt our cause. Guess what? I'm about as liberal as one could be on a lot of issues. I could write a couple lines about my beliefs and people would be quick to label me as a liberal, when in fact, I'm a libertarian. We don't ask each other anymore, we just judge. 99% of the people on here share similar viewpoints on firearm ownership, by all standards we're on the same side, and many are downright vile to each other. This is going to stop, and I don't care if we lose half our "community" (note the quotes) doing it.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads