JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Over many years I've bought, sold and traded a bunch of firearms. Now I think I pretty much have my self defense needs met. I am still planning on getting a 10/22 and debating whether I need a .22 handgun as well.
I realize this list probably doesn't appeal to many other folks, but I think I've got some keepers that will work for me and my purposes.

Ruger 7.5" Super Blackhawk .44 magnum
Ruger 1911 CMD Commander
Ruger Mini 14 Tactical
M1916 Spanish Mauser in 7.62 NATO
Mossberg 590 Special Purpose 12ga.

The Mauser with Mojo front and rear sights works for hunting and stand off work. The .44 is the daily carry at the property, but it's at Magnaport getting rifle ported right now. The 1911 is for carrying in town and the shotgun does bedroom duty by the bed with the 1911 on the nightstand.
I realize the benefits of a .22, but for now the Mini is the varmint/small game shooter.

What are your choices?

Sorry for the confusion. I listed what I have and why and was looking to see what other folks considered their must haves. I tried to change the thread title, but I can't figure out how.

Sorry for the confusion. I listed what I have and why and was looking to see what other folks considered their must haves. I tried to change the thread title, but I can't figure out how.
The server upgrade took with it the ability to modify the title. You have an old Spanish Mauser, so you need a WWII rifle, M1, M1 Carbine, 1903a3, 1917 Enfield, etc. Since you already have a pluthera of Rugers, you should get a 10/22 and a Mark III pistol.

You also need a full sized 1911.

I will always have at least one polymer striker fired pistol. I am partial to the xd platform, but m&p or glock are other fine examples. I have other handguns I like more and shoot more, but the xd ALWAYS goes bang.......period. Shtf, the xd would be the goto gun for this reason.

Just my personal opinion.;)

That was my goal at one time. Now I'm just filling a hole or two.

solv3nt, I had two Inland M1 carbines, a pretty nice CMP SA M1 and a plethora of other tasty firearms. That was before a bunch of money, health issues and whatnot changed the game.

But I think I have what I believe works for my circumstances. But a full size 1911... hmmm.

I am a strange sort of critter, but I have a real fondness of Single Shot Rifles. Especially in 22LR, you can not get a Better first teaching long gun than the simpleness of Single Shot. I also have the thought, that when One Shot is all you have, there is a tendency, to Make It Count.

I have both single shot Bolt Actions, and the break open styles. I like both styles, Bolt Action teaches more actions oriented to using any bolt action... And break opens are known for being sturdy, simplicity in design, as well as barrel exchange concept....

I would seriously consider adding either style to any weapons platform.

philip :D

Honestly, whatever YOU think your needs are should determine your purchases, not all of us internet yahoos... I'm sure you know that though:p.

For grins, Id say you have the bare basics minus the .22 pistol and rifle (Id go ruger, but I also love my Hernery lever and Marlin 60 - both of which are more accurate then a 10/22 but that's just been my exp).

I would add a "real" hunting rifle if I hunted. Something lighter for the NW - I love my Ruger gunsight in .308win.

Same with a shotgun, dedicated hunting vs home defense.

But really, it's what suites you an your property... I would never pull out an SKS for home defense in te city but very well might if I lived in the sticks.

The only way to change the thread title is to ask the Mods. They will happily do it for you, but it is a PITA...:(:mad:

I like the Ruger CMD you have. It's a great gun:)D).

Watch some vids on the 10/22.....after watching some, I decided that my 22's are worth keeping, both 10/22 and SR22.

My "Must Have's" are a 45 pistol, a 9mm pistol, and an AR.

Everything else is just icing on the proverbial "cake of firearms".:D

All right! Now, we're gettin' some decent thread drift.

The 10/22 is my just choice because I'm familiar with them. I dislike the Ruger takedown process and may well consider a .22 revolver.

The 10/22 is my just choice because I'm familiar with them. I dislike the Ruger takedown process and may well consider a .22 revolver.

You're talking the Ruger Mark Series take down process, correct??:confused:

The SR22's are easy/quick.:D:D

I have one you can try out if interested.:)

I have one UNOPENED in box if you like what you try out:D:D

You're talking the Ruger Mark Series take down process, correct??:confused:

The SR22's are easy/quick.:D:D

I have one you can try out if interested.:)

I have one UNOPENED in box if you like what you try out:D:D

If I may interject, an average shooter will look like a great shooter with a mark 2 or 3. SR22's and walther p22's are too short barreled to be proper target pistols - more like .22 versions of the larger caliber models.

Just depends on what you want to use it for I guess.

(I have a p22 and mark 1 and love them both - the sr22 just doesn't fit well in my paws)

I buy a firearm cause I want it. I rarely buy anything because it fits some slot on a list.

but then the reason the majority of people here buy a firearm isn't anything I spend much time worrying about.

Course my list is substantially longer they the OP's so maybe I don't worry cause all that stuff has been covered for decades.

I am a strange sort of critter, but I have a real fondness of Single Shot Rifles. Especially in 22LR, you can not get a Better first teaching long gun than the simpleness of Single Shot. I also have the thought, that when One Shot is all you have, there is a tendency, to Make It Count.

I have both single shot Bolt Actions, and the break open styles. I like both styles, Bolt Action teaches more actions oriented to using any bolt action... And break opens are known for being sturdy, simplicity in design, as well as barrel exchange concept....

I would seriously consider adding either style to any weapons platform.

philip :D
Like that thought. Henry makes a single shot rifle called Acu Bolt. It is chambered in 22 or 22 WMR (magnum). Not sure whether they still make them, but some vendors still have a few http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...Henry-Acu-Bolt-Rimfire-Rifle-Package&i=416566

I have 3 .22 revolvers. A Smith, a Ruger SP101 4" with highviz sight, and a Taurus .22 Mag. The Taurus looks impressive, it's all SS and has a 4" barrel, but you have to shoot Gold Dots to take advantage of the MAG cartridge. Most other .22 mags are rifle rounds and will just create a huge flash and bang but not really add much energy to the target (compared to MiniMags, Stingers, or Velocitors). The Ruger has the best trigger, the best sights, and fits the tightest. I also shoot it the best, probably for the same reasons ;-) If you like a Smith, the 3 inch 317 would be a cool kit gun. AirLite (aluminum build) and highViz sight. Did I mention light weight? Very light. You might forget you have it on you.

I keep buying new guns because I still have not found the perfect one. ;-) That said I am almost there, just like the OP.

I do like the 10/22 because it's like a platform. You start with a simple framework and you can customize the most sophisticated contraption on that base. Folding stock, 25 round mags, muzzle breaks, match barrels, etc. And they are cheap. Here is a great article on using a 10/22 for HD if you get worried about the power of your shotgun http://graywolfsurvival.com/1869/why-22-best-home-defense-weapon/

My personal favorite .22 pistol is an HK 416 P. AR style pistol with 9 inch barrel. Super accurate at 25 yards, very accurate at 50, and very reliable. I have put several thousand rounds through mine. After thorough testing it replaced my previous HD shotgun. I still have a 9mm backup pistol with lights and laser for HD in case it fails, but my initial defense in the house is small but accurate caliber.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top