JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a home brew (Spikes upper and lower, Colt mags) that I use for local speed steel matches at my club. It's been very reliable.
The LRBHO, the dedicated Colt style lower, and the ability to run a ambi mag release was the main reason I chose Spike's Tactical.

The Extar can not be beat for the price and the PSA one's are a good value also. I have a Ruger PC9 but I'm having stove pipe issues with it and since it's just a fun gun, I have yet to call Ruger for a RA# so I can send it back. Other than that, it too is a solid choice.

I just picked up a Grand Power Stribog. I only have 150rds through it but so far, like it a lot!
I have had many and have many now. What do you want to know exactly?

FWIW I'd go with the Colt pattern PSA lower . The mags feed better and are easier to load than the Glock mags and to be honest they run better. If you want to run a standard lower the Stern Defense mag well adapters run quite well and are the only ones that reliably lock the bolt back every time.

View attachment 516680

Well I can see someone likes their Shockwave's...:p

Last Edited:
I'm very curious about the Stern Defense adapter. I built a KE dedicated lower (in pink) for my daughter but want one for myself. If I were to get this adapter for my other standard pistol lower could I just use her upper on my pistol lower? Her lower already uses Glock mags and all. Feel free to PM me to not could up this thread for the OP.

Yes, not a problem. Youll just have to tune your weight in your buffer to the barrel length and ammo.

Havnt been following TNW. Whats up?
Apparently the guy who owns the place has a LONG history of being quite the moron. Has really screwed some people over. As the norm with people like this the customer service now is non existent, or at least was when I bought a new lower from them that did not work. Really sad as I do like the design a lot. I would NEVER recommend them now though.

I'd say both are fairly reliable. Maybe the edge going to colt as they have less variety in mags than Glocks. Glock AR9s can be unreliable mostly due to aftermarket magazines, usually not the gun itself.

Right now, Glock mags are easy to find, inexpensive if buying aftermarket, and plentiful. As are colt mags, well aftermarket colt mags, primarily 1-2 manufacturers. They go out of stock frequently too.

Glock builds can utilize all Glock mags, even the little Glock 26 mags. So your options grow considerably when including every size magazine available for 9mm double stack Glocks.

I'm not familiar with other size colt style magazines. I think you would be limiting yourself to a few sizes.

I'd likely still go Glock over a Colt lower based solely on magazines being more prevalent. Even if I already did not own any Glock pistols.

Colt mags are MUCH easier to load and generally actuate the BHO better. Theres 3 or 4 manufacturers of the mags . The metalform/brownells used to be the only reliable game in town but I think the ASC mags are every bit as good for half the price. I pick up a few every magazine scare and have quite a drawer full at this point.
Nothing wrong with the glock setups either . I have a dedicated lower setup and a Stern defense. The Stern runs the BHO no problem. The dedicated lower works too but not as good as the Stern adapter SBR.

If you are shooting the AR-9 for absolute accuracy you probably want to look at why. Its a plinking gun. load a bunch and shoot a bunch sort of thing. I've got barrels as short as 2 1/2" that will hit cans and tennis balls out as far as I can throw them. Maybe it'll punch holes in paper too. Don't know, never tried it.

TROS makes a very tight tolerance 5" ish barrel with HK 3 lug adapter machined in for about $150 . I'd reccomend it above just about anything else for a SBR or "pistol" in 9mm.

The lower pick is a pistol with the TROS barrel and QD AAC blackout flash suppressor. Ive got a AAC 3 lug silencer back cap that pops right on there. Yes, the glock pattern drums run quite well actually.

1Dql6S.jpg
NvGW5X.jpg

the main debate right now is ar9's that run glock mags vs ar9's that run colt mags, both seem to cycle reliably but which one is better overall, are there any videos or tests?
Googling around, it seems that the main issue with the Glock pattern is the reliability of the Bolt Hold Open feature.
Using genuine Glock mags is recommended.
The AR9 sellers report that the Glock pattern AR9 outsells the Colt pattern AR9 because Glock mags are more plentiful.

I do like the look of the straight Colt pattern mag hanging off an AR9 receiver, though.
Reminds me of a Thompson.
I have Glock mags in the stable, but I'm leaning towards the Colt pattern AR9.
Metalform, (the preferred Colt pattern mag) 10rd, 20rd and 32rd can be had for around $24 each.
CPD stainless 20rd or 32rd Colt pattern are dirt cheap at $14 each.
(CPD AR 5.56 and 6.8 have been good for me.)
So they are in line with other mag prices, but you have to shop around and be willing to buy online.

Last Edited:
Googling around, it seems that the main issue with the Glock pattern is the reliability of the Bolt Hold Open feature.
Using genuine Glock mags is recommended.
The AR9 sellers report that the Glock pattern AR9 outsells the Colt pattern AR9 because Glock mags are more plentiful.

I do like the look of the straight Colt pattern mag hanging off an AR9 receiver, though.
Reminds me of a Thompson.
I have Glocks mags in the stable, but I'm leaning towards the Colt pattern AR9.
Metalform, (the preferred Colt pattern mag) 10rd, 20rd and 32rd can be had for around $24 each.
CPD stainless 20rd or 32rd Colt pattern are dirt cheap at $14 each.
(CPD AR 5.56 and 6.8 have been good for me.)
So they are in line with other mag prices, but you have to shop around and be willing to buy online.

the main argument for the colt mags is they were designed for a faster cycling gun , where as glock mags were designed for a semi auto pistol only, both seem to function in terms of rapid fire so yea people go with whatever is in the safe!

Wilson does Glock pattern and oddly enough, Beretta.
Instead of Beretta, he should have done Colt pattern for the second option.
Nice looking receivers, though.

He is big into Beretta.

"Being a serious Beretta collector, I have always considered the 92G SD the best model ever produced, but almost too expensive and rare to shoot. I feel fortunate to have been able to work with the fine people at Beretta USA to produce a pistol that, in my opinion, is an improved 92G SD. Having Beretta USA build my dream 92 series pistol is awesome and I'm very happy that a lot of people will be able to enjoy this fine pistol model." -Bill Wilson

Last Edited:
My odd man out, the CX4 takes beretta 92 magazines.

I need to get some more now that I think of it.

If the op wants to shoot any of mine let me know.

Wouldn't hurt getting some NWFA guys together at NFWC some time soon.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews