JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Get him the steel target, much more lasting gift. Years and years of use. I've got some 1/2" 1/3 silhouette targets that are about 8 years old I think. Seen tens if not hundreds of thousands of rounds.

If you want a safe blowy uppy thing. Get these instead.

MegaBOOM - Steel Target System, Stainless Steel base https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WROV0HO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_VA-fCb4TZRE51
==================================

I almost pulled the trigger on a steel target, but wanted something different as I have quite a few steel targets of my own that he has shot at plenty.
Reno, I also considered a system like you linked but don't know where to get 2 liter bottles as none of us drink soda. Seems like this setup would also be illegal on public land? Also wonder about premature explosions while filling the bottles..

AR500 steel at 200 yards provides plenty of fun and some sparks after dark here and there too! just angle it to make sure bullets hit the dirt after they hit the steel, and make sure nothing flammable is near the target and a good solid backstop behind it to catch any strays that miss the target.

I do enjoy going to the local range to ring the gongs at 200yrds with MBUS sights on my 5.56x45 and an EOTech on my 7.62x39. good fun :)

==================================

I almost pulled the trigger on a steel target, but wanted something different as I have quite a few steel targets of my own that he has shot at plenty.
Reno, I also considered a system like you linked but don't know where to get 2 liter bottles as none of us drink soda. Seems like this setup would also be illegal on public land? Also wonder about premature explosions while filling the bottles..
They are illegal on public lands, but not because of the fire risks, more be because of the fact it isn't considered a target manufactured for recreational shooting.

If I had to choose which one I'd want people to shoot it would be the 2 liter ones.

As far as premature bottle failure, I'd imagine that would be less devastating then holding a pound of tannerite and it prematurely detonating from a spark or something. I'd say both are dangerous.

I'd really like both to just go away, but it's a lesser of two evils type thing.

Steel targets, or other fun type manufactured targets should be the choice in my eyes, sadly they are not by many, and it gets all of us in trouble.

I'll stop preaching.

I'd really like both to just go away, but it's a lesser of two evils type thing.

Why? I mean I understand that used in a irresponsible manner all sorts of bad can or will happen. But as firearm enthusiasts we all should recognize the potential for things to go bad and as long as we practice proper safety as we do with our firearms, then the risk should be reduced to near zero.

Edited to add, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but as one who respects your opinions and practices the Trash No Land creed I have a fear of doing anything to give our hobby/sport/obsession a bad name.

Why? I mean I understand that used in a irresponsible manner all sorts of bad can or will happen. But as firearm enthusiasts we all should recognize the potential for things to go bad and as long as we practice proper safety as we do with our firearms, then the risk should be reduced to near zero.

Edited to add, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but as one who respects your opinions and practices the Trash No Land creed I have a fear of doing anything to give our hobby/sport/obsession a bad name.
Lack of education and understanding is why.

Most folks think because it's readily available on store shelves that it's ok to use. No one these days takes the time to educate themselves anymore on laws, rules and such.

It's not just tannerite, it's lots of aspects of recreational shooting that gets the blind eye. I haven't gotten a good way of explaining it, but for the most part, there are probably about 10-15 undereducated gun owners for every one educated responsible gun owner. Combine that with a lot of the "moron labe mentality", my own term, lots of gun owners refuse to do better because they think it's there right to be ignorant or have zero interest in doing better.

Is there a place for tannerite, sure. Is it's place where ever the gun owner feels like it is because it's legal to purchase, remains to be known.

Steel targets, or other fun type manufactured targets should be the choice in my eyes, sadly they are not by many, and it gets all of us in trouble

Really? As a gun owner, I would have thought you would understand that tannerite isn't an "evil". It is an inanimate object incapable of causing harm on it's own. It needs the actions of humans to be used, correctly or incorrectly.

I shot the stuff a few times years back and I'm over it. Haven't played with it in years, but I wholeheartedly oppose bans on the premise that some may not use them properly.

Lack of education and understanding is why.

Most folks think because it's readily available on store shelves that it's ok to use. No one these days takes the time to educate themselves anymore on laws, rules and such.

It's not just tannerite, it's lots of aspects of recreational shooting that gets the blind eye. I haven't gotten a good way of explaining it, but for the most part, there are probably about 10-15 undereducated gun owners for every one educated responsible gun owner. Combine that with a lot of the "moron labe mentality", my own term, lots of gun owners refuse to do better because they think it's there right to be ignorant or have zero interest in doing better.

Is there a place for tannerite, sure. Is it's place where ever the gun owner feels like it is because it's legal to purchase, remains to be known.

You're pretty much making the exact argument that anti gunners use to restrict gun ownership.

Yup totally an anti, you guys got me! :rolleyes:

Tannerite is illegal to use on public lands. There is my logic, I'm not against purchasing it as it is legal to purchase. Buy all you want. Use it in your living room for all I care.

In my personal opinion I see no need to shoot an explosive. Therefore I don't think it should exist. Is my opinion of your liking, probably not. Would I care if it gets outlawed, probably not.

You're pretty much making the exact argument that anti gunners use to restrict gun ownership.
So trying to better educate gun owners on the aspects of creating better recreational shooting on public lands is cause for restricting gun ownership?

Your right I should just stop working with public agencies and let the ignorant gun owners represent the whole and see if recreational shooting on public lands continues to be legal in years to come...

Never played with it.
Any cool stories?
Where can I order it and have it here before Christmas?
Fine aluminum powder, coupled with an oxidizer, will make a fine explosion.
An experience to ponder:
Professor of mine doing experiments with iron oxide, blew up his lab back in the days of the Weathermen.
Since there was DARPA research being done in the same building, it was viewed first as a terrorist bombing even though evidence suggested it was an experiment gone bad.
Still, it destroyed the lab equipment and blew out the windows. He survived because he was in the adjacent room. No one else was present.
His lesson to us was, always understand your reactions and the potential release of energy. Wasn't until many years later, after accidentally blowing up a few things myself, that I also understood the importance of the speed of the reaction.
Physics is an unforgiving teacher.

So trying to better educate gun owners on the aspects of creating better recreational shooting on public lands is cause for restricting gun ownership?

Your right I should just stop working with public agencies and let the ignorant gun owners represent the whole and see if recreational shooting on public lands continues to be legal in years to come...

I applaud you for helping to educate people. I'm talking about the advocations of bans. I apologize if that's not what you are talking about.

In my personal opinion I see no need to shoot an explosive. Therefore I don't think it should exist. Is my opinion of your liking, probably not. Would I care if it gets outlawed, probably not.

Slippery slope.

There are those that opine no need to shoot anything. Therefore they think your guns should not exist. Is their opinion to your liking, probably not. Would they care if your guns get outlawed, probably not.

"moron labia mentality"
Fixed it. Guns, trim, my rights! Safety? Bah!

I applaud you for helping to educate people. I'm talking about the advocations of bans. I apologize if that's not what you are talking about.
I don't interpret @Reno911's posts as equivalent to advocating anything. I see what TNL does to counter the stupid morons who act irresponsibly - go out, shoot up things and leave heaps of trash. Gives all gun owners a bad image.
I agree with @titsonritz - it's a slippery slope. Personally, I find it reprehensible that sudafed and ammonium nitrate are restricted. All it takes is one deliberate event, whether evil or stupid, to initiate a restriction.

Slippery slope.

There are those that opine no need to shoot anything. Therefore they think your guns should not exist. Is their opinion to your liking, probably not. Would they care if your guns get outlawed, probably not.
Well that's the thing.

The second amendment protects ones right to own guns.

Where does it protect ones right to shoot guns?

Understanding this does not exactly make me an anti, but if it does you have me figured wrongly.

Lots of folks I run into that are uneducated using public lands believe it is their right to shoot on public lands. It's not.

I wouldn't be surprised if some believes it is their right to shoot tannerite. There is no such right.

My whole point of my comments are to point recreational shooters in the path of better target choices.

I apologize strongly if it was blurred with my other comments.

I had an uncle who was doing some welding on an empty fuel tank when it blew up and blew out the windows and doors of his barn, have a friend who blew 2 fingers off being stupid with fireworks, a cousin who lost a eye to a coke bottle and a bottle rocket. Still I do not advocate making fireworks or welders go away. Instead I demand that those in my control or on my property use the welder or the fireworks properly and not allow them to make bombs.

I'm on a personal crusade to show folks my side of firearms ownership and to create a healthy gun culture among my family and friends.
Tannerite and the 2 liter bottle things are legal and people want to play. If I can expose my family and friends to the proper use of these type of things then they can go forth and do the same with there family and friends, and then they to can pass along there knowledge and it becomes kinda a snowball thing.

Just saying.

I just think we need to get back to a mentality of punishing the A holes when they do stupid bubblegum and leave everyone else alone, in lots of areas of our lives.

I'll leave this thread alone with this last thought / question.

Are gun ranges anti gun?

Well they don't allow tracers or tannerite on their properties. They make their members use paper or steel targets.

Clearly they are for banning these things, right? Clearly you have the right to shoot these targets or ammunition types at these ranges, right?

How are my recommendations towards trying to get folks that choose to shoot better safer targets any different?

However I'm labeled as someone trying to promote banning them because I also carry the opinion they should just go away?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews