JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So what is an AR-15 (or any semi-auto rifle, even Tavor) good for, apart from the sheer fun, for a city dweller? Intimidation? Coolness? I get it and agree with it, but are there any practical advantages? Why do I *need* an AR-15? What could I possibly do with one?
I'm guessing your question has already been answered after 3 pages of discussion, but my opinion is:

You don't *need* an AR-15. Most of the civilian population who owns an AR-15 doesn't have an immediate need for one. But there are many alternate reasons, including (but not limited to):

1) Organized recreation: shooting sports/competition use. This is recreational for the most part, although a few elite shooters have made it into a career.

2) To exercise our 2nd amendment rights. It's akin to being a torch-bearer, or carrying on a tradition. If people stop exercising a certain right, be it free speech, the right to bear arms, etc., those rights tend to fade away. If gun owners weren't so numerous or outspoken, imagine how easily the opposition could have trampled our rights over the last few months.

3) Non-organized recreation: plinking, collecting, etc. Some people are builders/tinkerers, and platforms like the AR-15 offer people the chance to build a complete customized firearm from scratch. Some people like rebuilding engines in their garage, some prefer torquing barrels into uppers.

4) Prepping/non-immediate need. For the same reason people buy and store canned goods/water/supplies, people buy firearms and ammunition. There might be some unforeseen need for it. Even if there isn't a need, they might not want to be caught flat-footed should an unforeseen ban go into effect.

I'm guessing your question has already been answered after 3 pages of discussion, but my opinion is:

You don't *need* an AR-15. Most of the civilian population who owns an AR-15 doesn't have an immediate need for one. But there are many alternate reasons, including (but not limited to):

1) Organized recreation: shooting sports/competition use. This is recreational for the most part, although a few elite shooters have made it into a career.

2) To exercise our 2nd amendment rights. It's akin to being a torch-bearer, or carrying on a tradition. If people stop exercising a certain right, be it free speech, the right to bear arms, etc., those rights tend to fade away. If gun owners weren't so numerous or outspoken, imagine how easily the opposition could have trampled our rights over the last few months.

3) Non-organized recreation: plinking, collecting, etc. Some people are builders/tinkerers, and platforms like the AR-15 offer people the chance to build a complete customized firearm from scratch. Some people like rebuilding engines in their garage, some prefer torquing barrels into uppers.

4) Prepping/non-immediate need. For the same reason people buy and store canned goods/water/supplies, people buy firearms and ammunition. There might be some unforeseen need for it. Even if there isn't a need, they might not want to be caught flat-footed should an unforeseen ban go into effect.

Totally agree, only thing we need in life is air, food, water, some type of shelter. We want the rest.

Get an AK platform instead. Reliable, ammo is available and less expensive. If you can handle the price tag, get a MAK90. I'm sure Ar platforms are fun, but high maintenance

So, the OP's fire extinguisher, flash light, first aid kit, or whatever euphemism has to be an AR? It can't be an AK, or a Mini-14, or an 870?

His "fire extinguisher" in his urban apartment can't be a Glock 19?

He doesn't need an AR. Why is that so controversial?

You were, and I was, replying to an AR vs. shotgun thread.

Now if the OP was ASKING AK vs. AR, or Mini-14 vs (take your pick) I have no comment. SHOTGUN, vs. AR, OR AK, OR Mini-14 OR Sig 551, there is an issue.

You sat there and tried to defenf the inherrent accuracy of the shotgun (with the right lods, IN the "right hands") as equal to that of the AR in inexperienced or marginally experienced hands. And I called you out on your inherent silliness.

Don't get all butthurt.

As I said, I think that in many situations a shotty is a fine defensive tool. But i can think of rather a lof of situations in which it is NOT the "optimal" defensive tool.

You're sitting here defending a silly-arsed post, which, after reflection, I don't think even YOU agree with. You made a silly. We all get that. This is the internet, you're allowed. Admit it and move on.

Security.. all of those above we "want/need" and try to secure. How does/can one effect that?

I believe in my opinion security/ safety is an illusion, kinda like control. It's a want but not something I would say is a basic need. Security is something you provide as a state of mind, people have different ways of being secure, most of us on here believe our right to own weapons is part of our security, my 4 year old daughter believes her security comes from her purple blanket. So as a basic need, I would not incorporate that in order to survive. Security can be replaces, not like air/food/water.

Well,,,The Daniel Defense is one of the highest quality ARs on the market and would be a fine choice. Most people get a a smile on their face when shooting the AR. The AR is one of the easiest rifles to shoot ,quality parts are easily available reasonably prices so they should be bought and the AR is simple to work on . Magazines when purchased wisely are low priced as well as ammo not recently though... Buy one just because you can!

Get an AK platform instead. Reliable, ammo is available and less expensive. If you can handle the price tag, get a MAK90. I'm sure Ar platforms are fun, but high maintenance
I have owned ARs since the early 1970 they were Colts not low end garbage and an AR properly lubed will run with any AK. I like AKs though.

DO NOT BUY AN AR15!!!!
Very good reasons not to buy one is:
They are like your first car, they cost 3 times what you paid for it to customize it the way you want it!!!
They are like your first GF, they cost you all your hard earned money AND spare change to get that feeling of euphoria!!! You hope!!!
They are just like your first boat, you know the drill, Bust Out Another Thousand!!!!
They are just like your first child, hungry, growing rapidly, cranky and thirsty for knowledge that you do not want to think about. You don't want them to do the things your parents did not know you did. Spill it man!!!
AH, you get the meaning. Beware!!!! (Insert sarcasm here guys)

I own AR's and will use them along side my XDM40, I leave NOTHING to chance because I am "ONE WITH IT"!!!

The only reason you NEED an AR-15 is to protect yourself after SHTF day. I'm getting one for that very reason, and it isn't to protect me from the government, the liberals or the Democrats...it will be to protect myself from the roving bands of bad guys armed with AR-15s out to steal my stuff. The only reason I've getting an AR-15 is because they don't sell tanks to the general public.

1. Home defense. Why would you shoot a rifle indoors, which will inflict *huge* (assuming no silencer) hearing damage and won't be any more effective vs. a shotgun? Lower over-penetration of 5.56 bullets?
2. A riot / zombie invasion situation? Very unlikely.
3. Revolution in the U.S., police storming my apartment? Very unlikely.

Regarding #2 and 3

Have you been paying attention to what has been going on in Egypt or Syria lately? It can never happen here? What was that thing 150 years ago... around 1861-1865 I believe. Trail of tears? Bonus Army murders? What happens when the power goes out for more than a week? Hurricane Katrina ring a bell?

my google-fu shows differently... Armor Page 1

:s0112:
The only reason you NEED an AR-15 is to protect yourself after SHTF day. I'm getting one for that very reason, and it isn't to protect me from the government, the liberals or the Democrats...it will be to protect myself from the roving bands of bad guys armed with AR-15s out to steal my stuff. The only reason I've getting an AR-15 is because they don't sell tanks to the general public.

Better get it quick in light of this morning's news.

Aw crap, just when prices were getting back to normal.

I'm an AK guy, but I still have two high end ARs. Both will probably remain locked away for most of their lives with just enough occasional exposure to sunlight to keep the mold from growing on them, but its nice to know that they will be there if needed.

Keith

IF you don't buy one, down the line, you'll be sitting there with your grand kids and he'll say, Papa, did you EVER own an AR-15, you'll say, No, i bought a shotgun because joe biden suggested it. :s0155:

Regarding #2 and 3

Have you been paying attention to what has been going on in Egypt or Syria lately? It can never happen here? What was that thing 150 years ago... around 1861-1865 I believe. Trail of tears? Bonus Army murders? What happens when the power goes out for more than a week? Hurricane Katrina ring a bell?

+1^^
Live towards the southern boarder and youve got a true blue threat, almost daily when it comes to drug runners, etc.
Riots, tyranny, gang wars, a man on a rampage in ones neighborhood.. All happen daily in one way or another throughout the US.

Folks here on the thread that don't see why one would need a distancing tool
(any weapon that could equal the odds or better them via destructive force and thus distance oneself from the threat) where clear force on force may be the only way out of a situation generally have their mind made up and go about life unprepared. They don't deserve to be helped should they come seeking aid during or after an event.

I have no pity for the unprepared. Family aside, if you aren't immediate blood and aren't bringing anything to the table..you're on your own.
It may sound heartless, but Darwinism needs to take its course.

When pushed, people revert to primal instinct and turn into animals after a catastrophic event where the "grid" and "aid" are no longer intact or available.
Theft, rape, murder... One or all take place shortly after any event.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top