JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's in my trunk at all times.
d165fc19c4e12416035e51e72c1abdcd.jpg

A bicycle will just get stolen from someone with less morals then you so I don't see that as an option.
agree, thats why I will argue that idea is not really so simple. There is more to it than just theft too, its not really all that cheap or practical to store one in a trunk... then there is cycling fitness...
agree with everything else you said too.

First, just grab your tank of emergency helium, lawnchair, and Acme gas-powered leaf blower......
.....as long as there's no road runners around, you're good to go!:cool:

Last Edited:
First, just grab your tank of emergency helium, lawnchair, and gas powered leaf blower......
.....as long as there's no road runners around, you're good to go!:cool:
Bingo. With a pocket knife and a will, a man could easily fabricate a sweet hot-air balloon what with all the bodies and internal combustion inflators lying about.

my guess is the OP's epiphany is a foldable bike stored in the trunk. Although i will argue that the idea is not so simple its profound.

A bike would get you home in a total gridlock shutdown you can easily ride between cars and way more efficient travel than walking. But in a quake all bets are off on the road surface condition and most people pay no attention at all to the many small bridges they cross every day driving around. Those small streams are actually dangerous to cross most places and many of them are easily overhead water much of the year.

Not profound or unique if that is the solution. It is a common suggestion and one I have considered. You can even get a folding electric bike, which would be my choice.

Not profound or unique if that is the solution. It is a common suggestion and one I have considered. You can even get a folding electric bike, which would be my choice.
those electrics are even harder to get across the streams. Any experience mt biking?

those electrics are even harder to get across the streams. Any experience mt biking?

The electrics are heavier, but most allow you to remove the battery if necessary.

Yes, I bought one of the first MTBs back in the 80s and did some off-road riding. I haven't ridden a bicycle for quite a while though; my old back doesn't like being bent over like that for more than a few minutes.

FWIW - I rode my first century in 1970.

The electrics are heavier, but most allow you to remove the battery if necessary.

Yes, I bought one of the first MTBs back in the 80s and did some off-road riding. I haven't ridden a bicycle for quite a while though; my old back doesn't like being bent over like that for more than a few minutes.

FWIW - I rode my first century in 1970.
I think if the roads weren't too damaged a bike would have an advantage. But if this Cascadia quake goes off like they say it will, I don't think the roads will be bikeable with one of those foldable bikes.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwildomarmagazine.files.wordpress.com%2F2009%2F11%2Fpavement-damage.jpg

I think if the roads weren't too damaged a bike would have an advantage. But if this Cascadia quake goes off like they say it will, I don't think the roads will be bikeable with one of those foldable bikes.

View attachment 340503

Agreed - but it would depend on the nature of the quake, the roads and so on. If anything could get over a road like in that photo, it would be a bicycle - even if the person had to get off and walk the bicycle until they could ride it. A full suspension and "big" tires (fat 29") would be what I would be looking for.

The paved roads might be hard to traverse, but the softer shoulders and trails might be more passable.

Right now I would be walking. I have been considering getting a folding electric bicycle, but I have not found quite the one I want, and I would not be hauling it in my commuter car most of the time anyway. I retire in 3 to 4 years, and after I retire I will be spending 99% of my time at home at my BOL anyway. At which point I have my dirt bikes that would have even better suspension.

I have been thinking about OP scenario this re: my upcoming 650 mile jaunt from Tacoma back to NorCal on a cruiser. How much contingency stuff do I take on the train north and then the bike south? I don't really want my entire GHB because I'll already have MC helmet and leathers and boots. I am considering the old REI 10 Essentials approach. I suppose I should invest in a smart phone one of these days.... but last I heard EMP doesn't render freedom tools and ammo useless. :rolleyes:

It is pretty effed up when you have to think about E&E in your bubblegumming country!!!!

Brutus Out

I actually see a line I could ride in that photo on my full suspension bike. I don't know of any FS folders out there though... (haven't looked).

If your retired that would be a good plan. Myself, I'm not spending that much money on another bike to only store it in my trunk for years in case. Thats one of the dilemmas with the bike idea, that and river crossings.

There is an old Indian proverb (I think..) "don't posses more than you can cross a river with" something like that...

I am considering the old REI 10 Essentials approach.
I like this idea myself... what Joe13 said earlier actually in post #20. I dont really see anything simple or profoundly simple about getting home across town after a Cascadia level event, other than just walking. I think Joe is right on to assume its going to take more than one day too...

:rolleyes:
Black garbage bags and rope. To hide the bodies

Make a flotation device and pack your gear (including what your wearing) in a bag to keep it dry. Look for fat bodies, they are generally moe bouyant.

Cross water and pack it all back up. Cross should be real silver, the bigger the better. Make sure your Holy water has been blessed by a bishop or above.

A bicycle will just get stolen from someone with less morals then you so I don't see that as an option. In a survival situation it is best to surrender the moral high ground and strike swiftly with extreme prejudice.

Other then that, I keep all the basics you would find in almost every get home bag.

If I get a job 40 miles away then I'll plan on being outside for 4 days because I'm not right now in the shape I would need to be in to make it more then 10 miles a day with a 25-40lb pack as well as find firewood and shelter for each night.

Bugging home isn't as simple as changing shoes and walking home unless your seriously in shape and have no major obsticals to overcome...

Not picking on you Joe13, just some funny chit came in to my mind when I read garbage bags and rope....:rolleyes:

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top