JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like this idea myself... what Joe13 said earlier actually in post #20. I dont really see anything simple or profoundly simple about getting home across town after a Cascadia level event, other than just walking. I think Joe is right on to assume its going to take more than one day too...

That's to easy. It's funner to compliicate things. Besides what if someone stills your shoes ?

That's to easy. It's funner to compliicate things. Besides what if someone stills your shoes ?
yeah, I think half of prepping is for fun of it. Really survival is about willpower to live and get thru it all. If someone steals my shoes its cause they killed me.

I live just a few miles out of town there are seven small bridges and small over passages that will collapse the day this happens!
Have you ever taken the time to look at every little stream, river or valley subject to liquefaction or overpass collapse?
Most of us are not driving any ware once the crap hits the fan.
Silver Hand

I live just a few miles out of town there are seven small bridges and small over passages that will collapse the day this happens!
Have you ever taken the time to look at every little stream, river or valley subject to liquefaction or overpass collapse?
Silver Hand
yup, I have. I cross a very tiny stream every day to work. The bridge name only has a tiny number stamped on it somewhere, this bridge is one of many like this found everywhere that go virtually unnoticed as an obstacle. In the summer I could cross it with wet feet, the brush is a problem and the wetland on one side is too... in the winter, it would be downright dangerous it has a current and is probably head high in places. In heavy rains and flood stage, no way to cross without mechanical help.

we all cross these kinds every day were out and about...

Silver Hand
That is a great point. Since its impossible to know where you would be if you were away from home during a Cascadia type event, I looked at it from the other end of the trip. I live near a pretty major intersection and surrounded by suburbia, there are almost infinite combinations to leave my house. There isn't a single road route away from my house that I can think of that doesn't require crossing some sort of bridge.

More meaning left winger anti gun. It will be chaos'. I will just want to get to my family. To protect them. Sorry.
how would you know? Plenty of left wingers own guns too... and plenty more suddenly turn pro gun when it suits them. I understand your sentiment and frustration with gun control but when SHTF politics are best set aside. Chances are if your the one on the other side of town trying to get home, your the one thats going to need help along the way...

how would you know? Plenty of left wingers own guns too... and plenty more suddenly turn pro gun when it suits them. I understand your sentiment and frustration with gun control but when SHTF politics are best set aside. Chances are if your the one on the other side of town trying to get home, your the one thats going to need help along the way...

I would not walk by kids and such that need help. But look at New Orleans, the looting murders, many people need help now in Portland. I hope we all band together. But I'm going solo if possible or a like minded headed my way. I see your point and you are correct in anti labeling in a disaster.

Last Edited:
I see some holes in the plans that every one has, but a few are starting to see the bigger picture! Think about this, a Cascadia Event will probably profoundly change the landscape from what you see each and every day into something completely unrecognizable! As an example, that little bridge you cross every day could turn into a raging river or a humongous swamp! Water always flows down hill right? but what if the ground changes, Where will all that water go? Moving through a flat area you know of, Suddenly it's full of mounds and holes and filling up with water! You decide you need to cross some water, during the event, all sorts of nasty gets flushed into that water, do you continue trying to cross?!?!?!Then there is all the fires burning, nasty stuff you don't really wanna be breathing, and worse, they can block your way, of force you to side track to go around!!! The point I am trying to make is that no matter how well prepped you are ( and is looks like most are) the landscape will be changed so much that no amount of planning can prepare for what will likely be faced when that day comes! I still say shelter in place and wait for things to calm down a bit will actually save you a lot of head and heart aches! Once things have settled and people are starting to think rationally, THEN is the time to consider your action, and building a plan from there!!

Survival: So Simple it's Elegant!

th?id=OIP.HJmJaqevsPXtT0CqtGIXxwEsDI&w=267&h=178&c=7&rs=1&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.5&pid=1.1.jpg

For the simpletons, that's code for two humps.

I see some holes in the plans that every one has, but a few are starting to see the bigger picture! Think about this, a Cascadia Event will probably profoundly change the landscape from what you see each and every day into something completely unrecognizable! As an example, that little bridge you cross every day could turn into a raging river or a humongous swamp! Water always flows down hill right? but what if the ground changes, Where will all that water go? Moving through a flat area you know of, Suddenly it's full of mounds and holes and filling up with water! You decide you need to cross some water, during the event, all sorts of nasty gets flushed into that water, do you continue trying to cross?!?!?!Then there is all the fires burning, nasty stuff you don't really wanna be breathing, and worse, they can block your way, of force you to side track to go around!!! The point I am trying to make is that no matter how well prepped you are ( and is looks like most are) the landscape will be changed so much that no amount of planning can prepare for what will likely be faced when that day comes! I still say shelter in place and wait for things to calm down a bit will actually save you a lot of head and heart aches! Once things have settled and people are starting to think rationally, THEN is the time to consider your action, and building a plan from there!!

yeah, this is why I like the keep it simple approach. I cant afford to store hundreds of dollars of stuff in my trunk in case certain scenarios play out. I think if I keep it simple and prep for walking home I can be assured of being the most flexible to get around all situations. I bet in many places I can hitch a ride or get help along the way.

During a normal day how many people will consider steeling your bike in front of the coffee shop with you not on it ?

Now how many people on I-5 care about who you are riding by on that good looking bike, during this kind of chaos?
Silver Hand

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads