JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi:
Where can some one find out what type of machine technology is needed
to learn how to make suppressors?.I'm looking to go back to school because
I've been unemployed for some time.I would feel that welding,How to use a lathe and maybe some cnc or mill work is what it takes to make a suppressor?
Also what kind of licensing with the BATF would be needed?.I live in Oregon so I would like to find ALL the manufactures of suppressors any got a list:)).

Thanks
Scott Hannah

Making a silencer is easy if you have basic metal working skills. I learned how to weld and use a lathe while making my first silencers. No license is needed, just submit the ATF form 1 in dupicate to the ATF along with form 5330.20, two finger print cards, two passport sized photos and a check for $200. It takes about 6 months for approval now. I have been waiting since October 30 for my last one to get back.

I started out with aluminum tubing and bar stock from www.onlinemetals.com . I used a conical baffle for the blast baffle followed by three K baffles and one flat baffle. The end caps are threaded on. I use my 300 whisper can on four rifles, a contender, AR-15, Savage 338 whisper and an M-1 carbine.

You do not need to know how to weld if you want welded end caps. You can bring it to a weld shop and watch while they weld. Just do not leave it with them or let the silencer out of your sight while it is being worked on. Otherwise, welding an end cap onto a tube is easy and you can grind off the ugly bead and smooth it out.

300whisper.jpg

As said above, http://www.silencertalk.com is a very good place for advice. There is advice on how to fill out the forms and how to design and make silencers. There is lists of good links here; <broken link removed> .

Ranb

Then in that case he needs to obtain an FFL. $200/3 years. http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5310-12-notice.html and pay the Special Occupational Tax. http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5310-12-notice.html . This will cost $500-1000 a year.

I was an FFL from 90-94. It is easy stuff, just maintain a bound book, file the required forms for multiple purchases, avoid straw-buyers and be ready for unannounced ATF inspections. I was not an SOT, but what I have learned from talking to an SOT is that the ATF now comes around to inspect before the license is issued. They want to see security, business plans and any local/state permits.

I have also read that it is difficult to mass produce enough components/silencers on a manual lathe to make a profit selling at retail. A CNC would be very helpful for an FFL/SOT class 2 manufacturer, even if it is leased instead of purchased. A person might want to work for a class 2 to learn more about the business.

Ranb

Hi:
Thanks guys.Yes I want to go to school to at least learn how to use the machines that are used in making them.I would then like to work for some one that has all the licenses.Then after while maybe start up a small company to either design or manufacturing them.Thank you Watcher Silencertalk.com is very
informative about suppressor technology. PhysicsGuy "Fluid Dynamics" is that the study of how gases work under pressure and heat. Am I just scratching the top of the iceberg with that guess?.It looks like a class on "Solidworks" would be a big help?

Thanks
Scott Hannah

Hi:
Thanks guys.Yes I want to go to school to at least learn how to use the machines that are used in making them.I would then like to work for some one that has all the licenses.Then after while maybe start up a small company to either design or manufacturing them.Thank you Watcher Silencertalk.com is very
informative about suppressor technology. PhysicsGuy "Fluid Dynamics" is that the study of how gases work under pressure and heat. Am I just scratching the top of the iceberg with that guess?.It looks like a class on "Solidworks" would be a big help?

Thanks
Scott Hannah

Fluid dynamics is the study of the motion of fluids (both liquids and gases), which will give you some understanding of thermodynamic properties, expansion of gasses, ect.

Yeah and learning to do some solidworks might be useful, unless you want to design everything on paper instead.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top