JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I picked up a sr22, a savage mark 2, have on order a American rimfire threaded, and plan on getting a take down 10-22 with threaded barrel.

Where is a good online resource for finding information on 22 suppressors?

Also, would it make sense to just get one can for my 22's and my ar's? How hard would it be to set up my 22's to accept a 5.56 can?

And how about a 30 cal can? Could I reasonably use one for all my rifles? How hard would it be to make everything, basically plug and play compatible with one can? Is it possible, is it worth it, does it make sense? Probably not for the sr22, it would be to heavy I'm sure. What about for my rifles?

All you need are 1/2-28 threads on the .22bbl and you can attach the .223 suppressor. The only problem with the .223 can is they are heavier than .22 cans and in addition the .22 suppressors usually come apart for cleaning.

As far as the 30cal suppressor, I talked with a guy at the range shooting one on his AR15, and quite honestly I don't think it was any louder on the AR than my .223 suppressor. You will need an adapter to screw into the 30cal suppressor to mate up with the .223 threads.

Mark at TROS could probably help you with that.

From what I'm told, if you're putting the can on a 22 rifle you might as well go with a .223 can because the internal volume of the 223 makes it even quieter than a 22lr can, a little bigger though. Just a thought

Most center fire sound suppressors are not user serviceable. 22 lr ammo is DIRTY. Get a rim fire suppressor that you can tear down and clean. rimfire suppressors are also significantly lighter than a 5.56 can.

Then get either a 7.62 or 5.56 can. The 7.62 can should be just as quiet on 5.56 then a dedicated 5.56 can would be because it has a larger volume (heavier)

So, I picked up a sr22, a savage mark 2, have on order a American rimfire threaded, and plan on getting a take down 10-22 with threaded barrel.

Where is a good online resource for finding information on 22 suppressors?
You mean besides here? Silencer Talk has lots of discussion about "which .22 LR can is best". My opinion is to buy the best first time. It doesn't make sense to go cheap on something then spend $200 on the tax stamp and wait the months to get it. I have two .22 cans, a silencerco SS Sparrow and a SWR spectre II. The spectre is a tank and less expensive, but the SS Sparrow is lighter and easier to clean. They what the majority of people who have written reviews recommend. The Sparrow is a great pistol can as it is light.

The Savage FV-SR is a great silencer host. So is the M&P 22.

Also, would it make sense to just get one can for my 22's and my ar's? How hard would it be to set up my 22's to accept a 5.56 can?
You really wouldn't want to have a 5.56 can on a pistol. That can would be too large for you to use the sights on the pistol. Also, unless you buy a 5.56 can that can be disassembled, I wouldn't recommend shooting .22 LR thru it because you will need to be able to disassemble it for cleaning.

Even though .22LR and 5.56 have the same size bullets, you shouldn't shoot 5.56 thru a .22LR can. They aren't rated for it and would void the warrantee. The pressure from 5.56 is way higher.

And how about a 30 cal can? Could I reasonably use one for all my rifles? How hard would it be to make everything, basically plug and play compatible with one can? Is it possible, is it worth it, does it make sense? Probably not for the sr22, it would be to heavy I'm sure. What about for my rifles?
5.56 doesn't really suppress very well. To be quite, the bullet needs to stay subsonic. That's why 300 blackout is becoming more popular. But to answer your question, yes, a 30 cal can could be used on multiple calibers of rifles.

Ok here is me experiences with suppressor. Please feel free to let me know if I am wrong.
Currently in my possession I have:
tac-65 inovation 22lr
Gem tech outback ii
aac 762 nds 6

Atf jail are:
Aac evolution
Aac tirrant 9
Silencero octant 45
silencero ss sparrow
Huntingtown krest 7.62x39
Yankeehill phantom titanium 7.62mm

I have played with all my cans with my handguns and rifles. Here are my input. If you are not reloader: do not buy any suppressor. The reason I said that because no matter what rifle you mating with the suppressor you still can not suppress until you use subsonic ammos. If you have subsonic ammo than be careful picking out rifle this is toward semi, a lot of semi rifles do not cycly subsonic ammo especially with M1A :)

The best suppressed caliber is 22lr with handguns or anything less than 4.5" barrel. SBR 22lr rifle with 4.5" will sound like a nail gun :)

Other center fire rifles still sound very loud and still hurt shooter ears.

You mean besides here? Silencer Talk has lots of discussion about "which .22 LR can is best". My opinion is to buy the best first time. It doesn't make sense to go cheap on something then spend $200 on the tax stamp and wait the months to get it. I have two .22 cans, a silencerco SS Sparrow and a SWR spectre II. The spectre is a tank and less expensive, but the SS Sparrow is lighter and easier to clean. They what the majority of people who have written reviews recommend. The Sparrow is a great pistol can as it is light.

The Savage FV-SR is a great silencer host. So is the M&P 22.

5.56 doesn't really suppress very well. To be quite, the bullet needs to stay subsonic. That's why 300 blackout is becoming more popular. But to answer your question, yes, a 30 cal can could be used on multiple calibers of rifles.

The FV-SR is the one I just picked up from another member on the forum here. It's great, I had a savage mark 2 stainless before that and it was awesome.

I'm thinking about jumping into the 300 Blackout platform, I just can't decide if I want a 10 to 12 inch pistol upper with Sig brace or a carbine length upper and I haven't decided if I want to go for a budget minded upper(under $500) or maybe a little higher quality ($700 range)

From what I'm told, if you're putting the can on a 22 rifle you might as well go with a .223 can because the internal volume of the 223 makes it even quieter than a 22lr can, a little bigger though. Just a thought

Maybe.

...if the 5.56 can is user-serviceable, and preferably without aluminum baffles. Shooting .22LR through any suppressor will quickly fill it with lead debris, and really quickly it will weigh a lot and suppress very little, less and less as it builds up.

Most prefer a dedicated 22LR, and a centerfire suppressor for other calibers. I clean my 22LR suppressor about every 250 to 500 rounds.

Another vote for the 22 Sparrow SS for rimfire, if you want a .30 can that will also do .223 well I would recommend the Silencerco Harvester. I have one in the dealer's safe, haven't shot it yet but it's not much bigger than many .223 cans and has interchangeable threads for different barrels and calibers.

I have a TAC 65 for my 22lr.

works great on the pistol with bulk ammo, and great on the rifle with CCI standard velocity, or subsonic (cci/remington) ammo.

does need to be cleaned on the regular though like any 22lr can.

comes with aluminum K-baffles. but you can later down the line send it in to have the baffles replaced with stainless steel baffles or a stainless steel mono-core for ~$200 (no new stamp required. they re-use your silencer tube and end caps, destroy your original baffles, and install shiny new baffles, then ship it back to you directly.)

you will need the end cap tool to service it, and I highly recommend the AAC element baffle removal tool for ANY .22lr k-baffle can to remove the baffle stack with.

that tool makes pulling filthy baffles a cinch!

then I toss my baffles in the sand blaster, fire up the vacuum/dust separator and blast away all the crap that builds up on them in seconds...

stick them back in the tube, tighten down the caps, and ready for a few hundred more rounds!

Thanks for all the great info. I haven't checked out silencer talk yet, I've been busy studying for big exam and taking care of my constantly sick family. I did happen upon a Hickok45 video with the surefire 22 suppressor, that looked like a good one. I was at curts earlier and the surefire was more expensive than the others they had, but I was in a hurry and didn't look long. Thanks again for the information

Travis

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads