JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I worked for Audi of North America for 7 years , great cars and honestly probably better in maintence then the Subaru. I would stay away from the TT though, it's a completely different platform then the other Audi's. The A3 shared that platform on its release to the US with the CVT trans non Quattro versions. Spend $20k and get yourself a A4 Quattro 2.0T or a 3 series BMW xdrive. The Audi has the better torsion diff over the fluid coupler that the BMW uses. The Audi will be better in the snow then the BMW , but the BMW is more comfortable to drive. Just my two cents though ........

I personal just purchased a MB E350 bluetec diesel awd. Awesome vehicle at almost 40mpg, it's for my wife's and she loves it. Bought it as a CPO from Beaverton Mercedes and was less then $30k with 42,000 miles on it.
Hatw to say it, but the Audi is junk. Better then the days of old, but still junk. Subaruas have gotten better the last 4 years. My father in law has a Audi A4, and it was eating a quart of oil every month. It was brand new. They finally only fixed the engine versus giving him a new one. My gay brother in law talked him into that hud. But he will never admit it. Oil changed are like 350.00 according to him.t

OregonHunter...
Your post caught my eye, as just yesterday I put $ down on a 2016 Outback.
After a lot of research, I couldn't find any other vehicle that met my needs (not wants) better...cargo capacity, decent mileage, comfortable, good in snow, reliable.
I have a territory that takes me from Coos Bay to K Falls, Portland to Medford, and often in Bend. 30,000+ miles per year, lots of freeway, lots of mountain passes.
My 2010 Honda Crosstour has been great, but at 165k miles now, it's time to move on.
After a lot of soul-searching, I decided that image was secondary to function. My bigger concern was that every damn Subaru I see has a frickin obama sticker on it, and I can't tolerate being thrown in with that crowd. My solution to this very real issue will be to put my "I love guns and coffee", and
"Hillary for Prison 2016" bumper stickers on it.
That should shake up the liberal turds enough to justify my purchase.
I'll look for you out on the road. Maybe we can share some granola together.
I can see a liberal anti keying that nice new car with stickers like that. How about a sticker that says I'm Hetero.

First, buy and drive whatever you want. The youngsters that drive Toyota's would also make fun of my Dodge pickup and my Harley.:D

But, it's interesting the timing of this thread. Very recently I'd heard that Subaru's are the status-statement of the lezbo crowd. I then asked my son, for confirmation, and he said "oh yah...they're known as Lez-baru's.

WAYNO.
Then most of my neighbors are "lezbos" - which is kind of funny since all of them are hetero couples with children. But whatever floats your boat.

Could it be that the buyers of Subarus just want a practical car that gets around good in the snow? That they don't need to "compensate" by buying a 4x4, jacking it up, putting monster tires on it and then only driving it on the highway?

Personally, I don't care what people think of me or my car - or me because of the car I drive - but I kind of doubt they would mistake a bearded 6'6" 250# guy for a "lezbo".

So your basing this off your one time experience that wasn't even your experience. That justifies everything your saying.
LMAO

Hatw to say it, but the Audi is junk. Better then the days of old, but still junk. Subaruas have gotten better the last 4 years. My father in law has a Audi A4, and it was eating a quart of oil every month. It was brand new. They finally only fixed the engine versus giving him a new one. My gay brother in law talked him into that hud. But he will never admit it. Oil changed are like 350.00 according to him.t

So your basing this off your one time experience that wasn't even your experience. That justifies everything your saying.
LMAO
No. I worked for Lexus for 3.5 years. Drove every nice car made. Hundreds of them. Jags and audi are bottom dwellers. Then I had my dealers license and bought and sold a lot of cars. I've been around cars closely for 30 years. I do think the Audi is tight though. Like a vw. European.
When it comes to luxury cars.
It's Lexus and then everyone else.
Back in the old days Mercedes had there crap together. Not now.

Well I'm right there with you on experience in the auto industry, and Lexus/Toyota does make a good car, but his needs are a good awd car. You really going to make remarks that Lexus is just as good in the AWD world ? I personally like Audi's, they are a different breed, but bottom dwellers is a chump move and sounds like what a used car salesman would say.

No. I worked for Lexus for 3.5 years. Drove every nice car made. Hundreds of them. Jags and audi are bottom dwellers. Then I had my dealers license and bought and sold a lot of cars. I've been around cars closely for 30 years. I do think the Audi is tight though. Like a vw. European.
When it comes to luxury cars.
It's Lexus and then everyone else.
Back in the old days Mercedes had there crap together. Not now.

No Lexus doesn't compare in the awd drive world. Know one compares to Subaru and the x5 bmw.
Chump move? I didn't mean to sound like that. I appoligize. We just saw so many leaks and electrical issues with Audi.

I'm with ya on pass issues , but the 4.4 motor with the front driveshaft through the oil pan was the dumbest thing BMW could have ever done. Major issues in leaks on that design , well just like any car ---- pros and cons. I was a certified BMW tech many moons ago, they all have their issues. Everyone has a opinion and 15 years ago we used to make statements that you wanted to buy a Audi that was built on a Wednesday ..... You should understand that Oregonhunter ;)

Lexus. I like Toyotas. I've owned a few, driven more. I think they make good trucks. I've put a couple thousand miles on a late model Lexus 350 SUV and a about a thousand on a sedan (driving it back from Nevada). I didn't own those - they were my parents and I drove my mom around a bit when she got older.

I like the SUV - especially the adaptive HID lights. I couldn't help but compare it to my BMW coupe though. Much more disconnected from the road - which isn't surprising given the target audience. That said, there are some little niceties to Bimmers that their designers thought of that Toyota didn't. Little things about the cruise control and wipers and so on.

OTOH - the Lexus was quieter in almost every respect, and more comfortable - again, not surprising given the target audience.

I find it is a matter of taste.

I don't think Audi makes junk. I like a lot of what they offer. I think their AWD systems are generally better, but I still prefer BMW overall and I don't need outstanding performance from the AWD system, just enough to get me around in slippery conditions that sometimes happen here on the mountain.

You can still find Bajas and they share parts with the Outback
Yeah, but I'm not willing to go all Bruce Jenner for one of those. They have been declared the most lezzy of the lesbarus. Besides, what made the Brat cool was the hi-low transfer case and the I-don't-give-a-fvck backward facing rumble seats in the bed. Kinda like the A-Team van cool.

You do know why those seats were added right?

It was so when they brought them in the vehicle wouldn't be classified as a pickup.

I thought about getting a Baja, but I don't need another pickup, and 90% of the time I don't want to haul stuff in the open, I want to haul it inside so it doesn't get rained on or stolen. I would just wind up putting a canopy on it and then how is it much different from an Outback. I already have two trucks, I don't need a third.

This afternoon I did a bit more research on the X1 and I think that is what I am going to settle on. Apparently the 8 speed ZF is close enough to what I want, at least for what is on the market anyway, and the rest of the car is just about right - not too big, not too small, and practical enough while being comfortable and sporty. I will sleep on it and then maybe start kicking tires next week.

mjbskwim:
pdempsey1097 said:
I bought a 2010 Outback in 2013
pdempsey1097 said:
(I drove to PDX from Grand Ronde and back during the 2008 snow event)
I'm trying to do the math hereattachFull277941 Help me outattachFull277942
pdempsey1097 said:
Bonus - I don't think anyone will ever break into it looking for a gun attachFull277943.
Well at least you have this part right

ooops - you got me.
The "snowpocalypse" was in February 2014.
My bad.

View attachment 277941 View attachment 277942 View attachment 277943

There was a bad snowstorm in OR & WA during 2008 Xmas

I remember that clearly. Took me 2 hours to get out of my driveway & off my residential street. Then another 6 hours to get from Seattle to Salem. There was freezing rain on top of the snow in Oregon when I got here. Made I-5 a mess. I remember a pickup behind me almost going off the road at the rest stop just south of Wilsonville when it hit a pothole in the snow. Same pothole took a chunk out of the front cowling under the front fascia of my Bimmer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top