JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've never quite got the math on this very typical subject. Spend $30,000 plus dollars to get a 8 to 10 mpg better gas mileage.

You could go buy a 1978 ford/chevy truck for $2000 that gets 9 mpg and spend less money driving that then a new car that's going to lose over 45% of it valve in the first 36 month of ownership.

Being a pilot I see guys all the time buy faster planes that burn over double the amount of fuel just to get from A to B 35 minutes quicker. Just doesn't make sense.

Then there's the insurance on the new vehicle,

Tell me when I should stop typing...............

I considered this "math", I am still considering it.

I need a new daily driver - one that is AWD - my current daily driver doesn't do well in snow, ice or gravel.

A couple of days ago I came across a 2001 Audi TT Quattro. It was even the bright blue color I love. It only has 100K miles on it. Problem is the maintenance. I am not talking nickel and dime stuff - German cars often cost $500 just to have a mech tell you that you need to spend $5K to fix it.

It is tempting as they want only $9K for it, and I would prefer to spend my funds on my other rigs (4x4 trucks) because they need some repairs, and I have a leaky roof, and generally other things I would prefer to spend money on.

But it just makes me nervous that I would wind up spending a lot of money on it - if not tomorrow, then eventually.

OTOH - there is a 2009 TT with 50K miles for $25K in very nice shape, with every feature I want. I am pretty sure I could probably drive that car for 5 to ten more years without spending a lot of money on it.

I drive an hour each way to/from work, 5 days a week, and it does make a difference in how tired I am whether I drive my comfortable car or my pickup with worn out suspension and leaky gas tank and windows that don't roll down/etc.

Those guys who spend a lot of money on getting somewhere faster - if they have the money, and their time is more valuable to them than the money - then I can totally see that. Money isn't everything - especially if you have a lot of it.

I probably never will have a lot - certainly not enough to spend that kind of money on airplanes, but I do okay. To each their own.

I am still vacillating back and forth on the car, but I am now leaning towards the newer, lower mileage, nicer car. The last relatively expensive vehicle I bought was my current car, and that was ten years ago. I put 120+K on it and it is still doing okay. I am going to give it to my daughter (who needs something better than her 16 year old Kia which is falling apart). I will probably keep whatever I get for another ten years and it has to be dependable because if I don't show up for work I don't get paid.

YMMV

OregonHunter...
Your post caught my eye, as just yesterday I put $ down on a 2016 Outback.
After a lot of research, I couldn't find any other vehicle that met my needs (not wants) better...cargo capacity, decent mileage, comfortable, good in snow, reliable.
I have a territory that takes me from Coos Bay to K Falls, Portland to Medford, and often in Bend. 30,000+ miles per year, lots of freeway, lots of mountain passes.
My 2010 Honda Crosstour has been great, but at 165k miles now, it's time to move on.
After a lot of soul-searching, I decided that image was secondary to function. My bigger concern was that every damn Subaru I see has a frickin obama sticker on it, and I can't tolerate being thrown in with that crowd. My solution to this very real issue will be to put my "I love guns and coffee", and
"Hillary for Prison 2016" bumper stickers on it.
That should shake up the liberal turds enough to justify my purchase.
I'll look for you out on the road. Maybe we can share some granola together.

I worked for Audi of North America for 7 years , great cars and honestly probably better in maintence then the Subaru. I would stay away from the TT though, it's a completely different platform then the other Audi's. The A3 shared that platform on its release to the US with the CVT trans non Quattro versions. Spend $20k and get yourself a A4 Quattro 2.0T or a 3 series BMW xdrive. The Audi has the better torsion diff over the fluid coupler that the BMW uses. The Audi will be better in the snow then the BMW , but the BMW is more comfortable to drive. Just my two cents though ........

I personal just purchased a MB E350 bluetec diesel awd. Awesome vehicle at almost 40mpg, it's for my wife's and she loves it. Bought it as a CPO from Beaverton Mercedes and was less then $30k with 42,000 miles on it.

I considered this "math", I am still considering it.

I need a new daily driver - one that is AWD - my current daily driver doesn't do well in snow, ice or gravel.

A couple of days ago I came across a 2001 Audi TT Quattro. It was even the bright blue color I love. It only has 100K miles on it. Problem is the maintenance. I am not talking nickel and dime stuff - German cars often cost $500 just to have a mech tell you that you need to spend $5K to fix it.

It is tempting as they want only $9K for it, and I would prefer to spend my funds on my other rigs (4x4 trucks) because they need some repairs, and I have a leaky roof, and generally other things I would prefer to spend money on.

But it just makes me nervous that I would wind up spending a lot of money on it - if not tomorrow, then eventually.

OTOH - there is a 2009 TT with 50K miles for $25K in very nice shape, with every feature I want. I am pretty sure I could probably drive that car for 5 to ten more years without spending a lot of money on it.

I drive an hour each way to/from work, 5 days a week, and it does make a difference in how tired I am whether I drive my comfortable car or my pickup with worn out suspension and leaky gas tank and windows that don't roll down/etc.

Those guys who spend a lot of money on getting somewhere faster - if they have the money, and their time is more valuable to them than the money - then I can totally see that. Money isn't everything - especially if you have a lot of it.

I probably never will have a lot - certainly not enough to spend that kind of money on airplanes, but I do okay. To each their own.

I am still vacillating back and forth on the car, but I am now leaning towards the newer, lower mileage, nicer car. The last relatively expensive vehicle I bought was my current car, and that was ten years ago. I put 120+K on it and it is still doing okay. I am going to give it to my daughter (who needs something better than her 16 year old Kia which is falling apart). I will probably keep whatever I get for another ten years and it has to be dependable because if I don't show up for work I don't get paid.

YMMV

I was looking at the A3 and A4 wagons too.

I have always lusted after the MkII TTs though - but I have heard some bad things about the MkI and sometimes the MkII.

The MkI shares the same platform with the Golf, and I haven't heard bad things about the Golf.

The MkII, from what I understand, is based on the same platform as the Passat and A3.

The A4 being different, which is okay, but I like the smaller size of the A3 wagons.

I did look at the Passat wagons too - the used VWs seemed to be a lot less expensive used than the Audis.

I like the style and interior of the Audis better, but not so much that I am willing to pay 5 to $10K more.

I basically want/need:

AWD - enough to get up out of my driveway/private road to the public roads when it is snowy/icy and up and down the mountain. I don't intend to take it "off-road", just deal with the occasional snow and ice and be more safe on the slick paved roads and the gravel road that is the last two miles to my house.

HID/Xenon lights - I turn 62 this year and my eyes aren't getting any better. My night vision especially.

Halfway decent mileage. My bimmer averages 25 to 30 MPG going to work, depending on traffic and alcohol in the gas. I want to get in the mid 20s on that trek. I am a pretty sedate driver most of the time and I can get pretty good mileage out of most cars that have okay aerodynamics and don't weigh over 2 tons.

Must be comfortable and quiet. I prefer a decent compromise between sportiness and comfort. I find German cars are better at that - especially for my 6'6" frame.

I am going to avoid MB vehicles. I know of too many horror stories for them. Sure some people have no problems, but as a percentage, you will hear more bad things about them than any other German car. Maybe more people expect more from them?

I like Bimmers - I was tempted by a nice X1 for $27K that only has 7K miles on it. Still tempted. Their xDrive isn't as good as the Audi, but I don't need it to be excellent - it just has to be good enough to get me to work and home. If I need to go off-road or through two feet of snow, I have two 4x4 trucks that will do that job - they just are not daily drivers.

The Passat is the larger platform not to be confused with the Jetta platform. All the VW use the cheap fluid coupler index not the torsion. The TT also uses the fluid diff not the torsion. I had a A4 avant ultra sport as my company car. Loved that car. Pick up a A4 avant 2.0t Quattro if you love the touring cars.

The torsion center diff is the best in the world !!! Hands down bullet proof!!!!

I was looking at the A3 and A4 wagons too.

I have always lusted after the MkII TTs though - but I have heard some bad things about the MkI and sometimes the MkII.

The MkI shares the same platform with the Golf, and I haven't heard bad things about the Golf.

The MkII, from what I understand, is based on the same platform as the Passat and A3.

The A4 being different, which is okay, but I like the smaller size of the A3 wagons.

I did look at the Passat wagons too - the used VWs seemed to be a lot less expensive used than the Audis.

I like the style and interior of the Audis better, but not so much that I am willing to pay 5 to $10K more.

I basically want/need:

AWD - enough to get up out of my driveway/private road to the public roads when it is snowy/icy and up and down the mountain. I don't intend to take it "off-road", just deal with the occasional snow and ice and be more safe on the slick paved roads and the gravel road that is the last two miles to my house.

HID/Xenon lights - I turn 62 this year and my eyes aren't getting any better. My night vision especially.

Halfway decent mileage. My bimmer averages 25 to 30 MPG going to work, depending on traffic and alcohol in the gas. I want to get in the mid 20s on that trek. I am a pretty sedate driver most of the time and I can get pretty good mileage out of most cars that have okay aerodynamics and don't weigh over 2 tons.

Must be comfortable and quiet. I prefer a decent compromise between sportiness and comfort. I find German cars are better at that - especially for my 6'6" frame.

I am going to avoid MB vehicles. I know of too many horror stories for them. Sure some people have no problems, but as a percentage, you will hear more bad things about them than any other German car. Maybe more people expect more from them?

I like Bimmers - I was tempted by a nice X1 for $27K that only has 7K miles on it. Still tempted. Their xDrive isn't as good as the Audi, but I don't need it to be excellent - it just has to be good enough to get me to work and home. If I need to go off-road or through two feet of snow, I have two 4x4 trucks that will do that job - they just are not daily drivers.

And it's not just the interior you are paying for, beside the major difference in the awd from Audi to VW, the huge differences you can't see but can feel in time. Thickness in the aluminum panels, the felt lined wheel liners, the double the size door hinges, the painted surfaces you don't usually see ( like under the hood and truck liner areas. Here's the funny part, you can spend more on the Audi and still spend less when it comes time to sell it over the VW.

Audi A4 avant new prices est ---- say $30,000
VW Jetta wagon new prices est ---- say $26,000 ( same options as the Audi )

Own and drive them both 100,000 miles/5years
Book value on the Audi will be $15,000
Book value on the VW will be $8,000

There's a reason the residual values on the Audi lease is the best in the car market. BMW is second inline for residuals
(market value in 36 months)

You mean the Torsen.

I agree that the MkII TT uses the electro-hydraulic Haldex and not the Torsen, but from what I understand, some VWs use one and some use the other, depending on the underlying platform - same with Audis. It also depends on the year of the car.

I may go with the X1 anyway - as much as I would like to have the TT with the DSG transmission, I think the X1 would probably be more practical. More ground clearance, more cargo capacity.

I keep going back and forth - which is why I haven't done any kicking of the tires yet.

They are tanks. Notice i'm the only one on the road? had studs on that winter (2 years ago, February is when that photo was taken) and i was the taxi for my friends that day.

Get one, you wont be disappointed.

IMG_20140208_100613_001.jpg

My interest in the CVT comes from my mechanical engineering background working with fans and variable speed systems. I understand it.

That was the transmission that they used in the little tiny car they had in the 80's
***the Justy***
Now they brought it back for the big cars? I thought it was a good idea back then.
And the "brat" style did come back for a bit. That went away also?
I used to love subaru. I bought a 78 subaru gl 2 door. It would go anywhere.
But the Legacy has always had a problem with the head gaskets. This has been since they first came out.Do they have some British company from the 60's making them still?lol

My solution to this very real issue will be to put my "I love guns and coffee", and
"Hillary for Prison 2016" bumper stickers on it.
This is what I was going to say.
Now in puget sound or portland areas these kind of upset the balance of the universe but outside those areas it's not bad.
Think of it as a tool,not a lesbo car

I bought a 2010 Outback in 2013. It fits my family well (including 2 teenagers - 1 at 6'1"). We've taken several long road trips with the 4 of us, and all of our stuff - no issue climbing grades. It is a 6 speed manual, so I can teach the young'ins how to drive a stick. It gets an lifetime average of 27 mpg, and goes through un-plowed snow like a champ (I drove to PDX from Grand Ronde and back during the 2008 snow event). Bonus - I don't think anyone will ever break into it looking for a gun ;).

We helped our daughter buy a 2007 Legacy almost 2 years ago. Zero problems, and it gets 30+ mpg. Now we're shopping for a Forrester for the son. Our "other" vehicle is a Z71 "Ranch Truck".

First, buy and drive whatever you want. The youngsters that drive Toyota's would also make fun of my Dodge pickup and my Harley.:D

But, it's interesting the timing of this thread. Very recently I'd heard that Subaru's are the status-statement of the lezbo crowd. I then asked my son, for confirmation, and he said "oh yah...they're known as Lez-baru's.

WAYNO.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads