JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After we get our home built, I plan to buy my very pro 2nd wife a nice lightly used Subaru SUV. Saw one a few days ago that could even haul a few rotties in back, forget the model

Never owned one, but heard they are fantastic vehicles. All my friends who own them have been nothing but happy with them. I personally would prefer a Honda or Toyota based on my personal experience. Looking forward to the Toyota Tundra Diesel set to be released in 2016. It's supposed to get 48mpg (which makes sense since it's a diesel) and will have well over 300hp and over 500 lb.-ft. of torque. Woohoo!

As for the bad drivers, they seem to be the absolute worst here in Portland in general. Yes they may be polite, but are severely unskilled and oblivious to their surroundings. Then again, I come from Los Angeles where in general they are very skilled, but aggressive. To each their own.

Never owned one, but heard they are fantastic vehicles. All my friends who own them have been nothing but happy with them. I personally would prefer a Honda or Toyota based on my personal experience. Looking forward to the Toyota Tundra Diesel set to be released in 2016. It's supposed to get 48mpg (which makes sense since it's a diesel) and will have well over 300hp and over 500 lb.-ft. of torque. Woohoo!

As for the bad drivers, they seem to be the absolute worst here in Portland in general. Yes they may be polite, but are severely unskilled and oblivious to their surroundings. Then again, I come from Los Angeles where in general they are very skilled, but aggressive. To each their own.
I am not buying the 48 at all. Most VW's get 48-50 on the highway and they are better aerodynamically and lighter then the Tundras. Also the Dodge Diesel 1500 has lower HP/Torque and it's rated at 24 average MPG. No way they are squeaking 48 out of the Tundra. Esrimates are high 20's low 30's on the highway or the same as Dodge. I will say it is great to see Toyota and Nissan coming out with new Cummins powered trucks.

Last Edited:
My biggest bubblegum would be that my Suburu doesn't have enough space for all the guns I own:-( Otherwise, it does OK. Tows my boat, pulls it out of the water OK. Not all that good off road, but I get it out in the dirt all the time anyway. I rack up 27 MPG on average.

Meh, it's a car. Whatevarhhh.

I drive an Outback. All wheel drive, lots of space in the back for gear. MPG could be better, but it's perfect otherwise.

This. I sleep in the back of mine when I go out shooting and stay the night. It works out really well.

My old Scooby
with correct stickers.
20090627_0265-L.jpg

My current Scooby.
20130720-LU4C0063-M.jpg

With the proper load out.
20131103-LU4C0082-M.jpg

I drive an Outback. All wheel drive, lots of space in the back for gear. MPG could be better, but it's perfect otherwise.
My 2014 outback with the 2.5 is only getting 21 city. Was hoping for 23. I got 25 mixed city/ hwy once. Haven't taken a long trip in it yet.

I never gun it from a stop and drive like a mature person. Was expecting a little better.

I drive a 2010 Outback with a 6 speed manual. I get close to 30 mpg most of the time (it's a partial zero emissions vehicle).

I drove it from Salem to PDX and back during "snowpacolypse" last year with no chains and no issues.
Also, I don't expect anyone to break into it to steal a gun ;)

My 2014 outback with the 2.5 is only getting 21 city. Was hoping for 23. I got 25 mixed city/ hwy once. Haven't taken a long trip in it yet.

I never gun it from a stop and drive like a mature person. Was expecting a little better.

My beater '90 Legacy gets better mileage than that and I drive it like it was stolen.

My beater '90 Legacy gets better mileage than that and I drive it like it was stolen.
The new ones are bigger and the engine a little bigger too but the CVT tranny is supposed to get better mpg than a stick or the previous models.
A lot of people complain about how an engine whines with a CVT when you really step on it, and it does. But the trade off is supposed to be mpgs. I'm still breaking it in though, maybe it'll improve.
They claim 24 city and 30 hwy.

The new ones are bigger and the engine a little bigger too but the CVT tranny is supposed to get better mpg than a stick or the previous models.
A lot of people complain about how an engine whines with a CVT when you really step on it, and it does. But the trade off is supposed to be mpgs. I'm still breaking it in though, maybe it'll improve.
They claim 24 city and 30 hwy.

It is a EJ25 (2.5L) bottom end with dual-port EJ22 (2.2L) single-cam heads. Total junkyard build. I think I have just the money for the headgasket/timing kit into it, everything else is dead stock...and it pulls 24mpg city easy, even while driving it mean. I think the CVT trans over a traditional 5speed is hurting you more than anything.

I can relate to the noise problem. I drive a '69 Vette with a 427 small block in it and it's noisy as well. I use a Subaru engine to start it in the mornings. I'm really just being an bubblegum. I rented a Subaru in Alaska a few years ago and had both good luck with it and a ton of fun getting into the hills in December.

CVTs are going to be the norm for most cars in the near future I hear. The concept seems like something that will break or wear out quicker but traditional transmissions aren't bullet proof either.
I know early CVTs had some glitches. Hope they are all solved!
I've had my fill of manual shifting though. Getting lazy.

BTW on the MPGs.
MPGs stated digitally on the dash ain't always accurate. Mine tells me I'm getting 23 by fill up time pretty consistently. 21 mpgs is the real calculation though.

Last Edited:
CVTs are going to be the norm for most cars in the near future I hear. The concept seems like something that will break or wear out quicker but traditional transmissions aren't bullet proof either.
I know early CVTs had some glitches. Hope they are all solved!
I've had my fill of manual shifting though. Getting lazy.

BTW on the MPGs.
MPGs stated digitally on the dash ain't always accurate. Mine tells me I'm getting 23 by fill up time pretty consistently. 21 mpgs is the real calculation though.

God, that is unfortunate...though the CVT craze won't bother me much, I prefer to drive old crap. I do understand desire to do some lazy driving though...looking into a '67 Riviera and will leave it an auto.

As far as the MPGs go, well...the speedo doesn't work in my beater (neither does much else on the dash) and I rely on a decent Garmin for odometer/speedo duties. A buddy of mine has a Cadillac STS that lies constantly on the dash, saying he is supposedly getting over 30mpg, when really it is more like 22.

My wife's old Saturn gets high 20s on the HWY, and I'm amazed what I can haul in it with the back seats down.. 12 foot lumber, 300+ square feet of floor tile, etc. I'm going to keep it for a backup and errand car

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top