JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A friend of mine shot a bear one evening just before dark. It was a big bear, and it was going to be cold that night, so he gutted it out and decided to come back the next morning with his dad and brother to haul it out of the woods. When they got to where he left it, it was gone. They saw a drag trail in the leaves and followed it. They found the bear laid out up on a big log. The skeleton had been picked clean of meat. They looked it over and couldn't find a knife mark or tooth mark on it anywhere. He's a pretty strong guy and he had a hard time even moving the bear, and has no idea what could do what was done to a bear that size in that short of a timeframe. He still gets creeped out telling the story to this day, 20 years later.

Wow. Its those kinds of things that always keep me alert in the woods.

One morning i had crawled up into a huge tree that had been cut a long, long, time ago. It had a nice little hollowed out area in it. I climbed into it well before first light. Got comfy. Watched the herd of elk get up out of their beds and head into the woods.
A really nice morning, except for the fact i couldnt shoot one of the elk due to it being deer season.
Then i stood up to stretch. Looked down. I was actually sitting on a bunch of bones. Deer, specifically. Probably about a year old.
We had found cat and bear sign in the area. Unknowingly, i crawled into an animal's dining area. :eek:

A friend of mine shot a bear one evening just before dark. It was a big bear, and it was going to be cold that night, so he gutted it out and decided to come back the next morning with his dad and brother to haul it out of the woods. When they got to where he left it, it was gone. They saw a drag trail in the leaves and followed it. They found the bear laid out up on a big log. The skeleton had been picked clean of meat. They looked it over and couldn't find a knife mark or tooth mark on it anywhere. He's a pretty strong guy and he had a hard time even moving the bear, and has no idea what could do what was done to a bear that size in that short of a timeframe. He still gets creeped out telling the story to this day, 20 years later.
Well better to find the bear's bones there than someone else finding yours...I always make sure to have a buddy who can't run away from trouble as fast as I can when I go into the woods;P.

full.jpg

I didn't find this, but some one did. I worked for the county for several years. One day i get a radio call to load the backhoe, and meet the boss at a certain location. I did, and he say's follow me, so we walk way back into a viny maple thicket. He say's the sheriff and the tow truck will be here soon, help them get it out. There was a brand new, toyota forerunner gold edition loaded to the hilt, totally hand painted camouflage. It had been stolen, and was probably about to get stripped out. Don't know how they got back in there without leaving a trail, but, they did. I hooked it up to the backhoe and carefully pulled it out.

When i hit the pavement, the wrecker driver said i should come to work for him, i did such a good job of getting it out and through all the viny maple brush. This thing still had the new car smell, it was so new.

Up at Timothy Lake, I noted a makeshift camp spot kinda hidden off the trail. I worked my way back to find a small cheap camo 2-man tent that had ferns and small pine branches piled up the sides. In the open end, I could see an old sleeping bag and some random clothing. It was not well kept but it didn't look rummaged through. There was a small pile of empty tuna cans under another pile of branches. In a clear bag inside the tent was a cardboard box roughly 9" square. The writing had been destroyed by moisture. Inside was powder/ash. Under the box was a note. The note rambled on in multiple tangents. The main thing I got from the note was this guy came up here for one last camping trip with his mom (remains in the box)... I reported it to the first Forest Ranger we found and left him back to the spot. Once he confirmed that it was a suicide camp, he told us that this happens a lot up at Timothy Lake for some reason - several times a year. Nice lake but we haven't been back to camp there since.

I've been out in the woods a lot with ODF and I believe I finally have something worthy of this thread. Found a few dispersed campsites with some interesting additions. The pooper was quite impressive to be honest. The burial was a bit odd.

7DDE1221-E20F-4C8E-861B-FB196787DA13.jpeg CFB16E2C-C21C-461D-8E87-8379D16DB46B.jpeg B0AFC31A-8AF8-46F1-9CAC-4DDC1BC78BAA.jpeg 8061C2E5-31C3-49A1-8482-7933D64C59FB.jpeg

I've been out in the woods a lot with ODF and I believe I finally have something worthy of this thread. Found a few dispersed campsites with some interesting additions. The pooper was quite impressive to be honest. The burial was a bit odd.

View attachment 403611 View attachment 403612 View attachment 403613 View attachment 403614
I like the nice white seat on the cr pper as it does prevent the dreaded "Waffle Butt". It is usually only a tempory condition but....;)

Camping at clear lake on hood many moons ago, we wake up to a burnt in outline of a "crow" burnt into the dirt. We all agreed that it was a freak burn out of roots from the closest tree to our fire...still was weird

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top