JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Once when I lived in St. Paul Minnesota I was driving near the Mississippi when I noticed an appealing woods, part of the fringe of woods along sections of the river. Since my dogs were overdue for a walk, I parked and we headed off. Just a little stroll in a little woods right in the middle of a huge city. I expected there to be lots of others in the woods, and there were.

Almost immediately a guy went by on one of the maze of trails that intersected mine. He was stark naked. I said "Hello" as if I saw nude guys in public every day. He said hi too and continued on his trail. I wasn't especially worried, having the two dogs and a concealed Colt .357 with me. A few minutes further along, I saw a couple of guys making love just barely concealed behind a few sparse bushes. They were too busy to notice me. Apparently this was some sort of nudist area. Just a few minutes further I came to a small clearing and saw two more nude couples making love, this time right out in the open. Again, gay guy couples. About then it occurred to me that I didn't quite belong in there. I wasn't nude, had no desire to be nude among strangers, wasn't a guy, and wasn't gay. I turned back and found somewhere else to walk my dogs. Being a strong believer in minding my own business, I said nothing about the gay guy nudist woods to anyone.

About two years later I read in the newspaper that LE had raided and shut down a "gay nudist beach" along the Mississippi River just where I had visited. The newspaper mentioned only the nudity and gayness. Not the love-making. The gay community had apparently managed to have this gay guy nudist and love-making area for at least two years on public land right in the middle of Minneapolis-St. Paul.

Strangest things I found in the woods:

Bag of nudy mags
A meth shack with needles and a bed
Homeless camp
A young couple skinny dipping

No sasquach yet but I do live near that Gunner lake and a neighbor does have a sasquach warning sign. And I do regularly find branches twisted and broken which I just attribute to elk and deer. Also occasionally find bear poop nearbye.

I will share my meager contributions:

Went hunting with my friend at a remote cabin. We knew aggresive bears were in the area, along with pot growers. I slept in the back of my truck. The neighboring cabin had a pair of hunters in it we met on the way in.

About 3 in the morning, a rifle round ripped off and woke me from a dead sleep. No other noises or commotion. Checked it out in the morning and they were both gone.

In hindsite I figured they just poached a deer, and left to avoid getting caught but it sure startled me in the middle of the night.

Another time in CA I was 4x4ing with some friends and we passed sone wierd people painted white with bags of stuff in their vehicle. I wanted to investigate but everyone else was too chicken.

Found an old pot grow, but wasn't worried, had Vera with me.

When I was a young kid, at the bottom of our propert with a friend, had a pair of eyes staring at us. Shot at with airsoft guns, sling shots, through sticks, it would always duck behind the tree and come back out. Eventually we were too scared and just grabbed our bikes and ran past as fast as possible. Probably just a racoon!

Best story, not that scary, was camped with a friend in a meadow. Heard hounds barking in the early AM for a long time. Didn't really understand bear hunting at that time. Was confused. Then we heard comotion in the woods, grabbed our guns and got ready. Out strolled this gnarly looking mountain man with a huge pistol on his hip, and his wife holding a baby! Just busting through the brush after his dogs. It was awesome.

One time I found an old randown door in the the ground like a storm cellar door. I opened it up and the rooms were all new looking so I yelled "hello!"...no answer. Drew my .45 and walked to the very back room and kicked the door open. I couldn't believe what I saw... So I took a picture of it and then I ran home never to return again

View attachment 175865

Yeah I've seen those photos of Cartel Stashes too but I never copied one and made up a yarn about it. You beat me to it!
Gabby

Penalty $250 for removal1948

Some of those mark points of longitude and latitude too, but I believe they're labeled differently when used for that (there's a couple in Port Gamble. Neat to look at!)
$250 fine seems to be enough to warrant a second thought about removing one of those, even today, but remember, that spike is from 1948.
In 2018 $$$'s that's the equivalent of $2,636.05!

:eek: Ok, Ok, I'll leave it be! :eek:

Penalty $250 for removal1948

Some of those mark points of longitude and latitude too, but I believe they're labeled differently when used for that (there's a couple in Port Gamble. Neat to look at!)
$250 fine seems to be enough to warrant a second thought about removing one of those, even today, but remember, that spike is from 1948.
In 2018 $$$'s that's the equivalent of $2,636.05!

:eek: Ok, Ok, I'll leave it be! :eek:

That isn't 0.1% of what it would cost to replace that quarter section corner monument.
Still only $250 penalty today.

Things I have found in the woods...

Well, being partially from the tarheel state as a kid I spent a lot of time in the woods. I found a still at least twice that appeared operable. Also saw one that had been hit with an axe and the coil was gone. Got the heck out of there as fast as I could. Once I saw the operator, recognized him from a family reunion and said nothing.

I found a dead body in the woods with entrails scattered about, as a kid I thought someone had eviscerated him, but as I have grown older in hindsight it was probably the work of scavengers. And when the dead man's watch alarm went off I about jumped out of my skin. As a kid that freaked me out for a long time and years of nightmares. It was my first time seeing a dead body not at a funeral. Me and my best friend were so freaked out we never told an adult.

But the funniest was when I was in the woods on my grandpas land where he would take us shooting, and I found the neighbor's angry bull in the woods. I made it up a tree mercifully, where I sat for what felt like hours. I was treed by that stupid bull. Eventually the bull left and my great uncle whose house was closest at this point thought it was hillarious.

I recall along time ago, traveling across track levy that traveled from one side of a bay to the others.
It was not used. and was about 8 miles across. In the middle found 3-4 cabins, that were just there. No roads as this was just in the middle of the bay.

The other is kinda funny, we went camping off season,( when places stayed open all year not like now).
We picked a spot that was pretty isolated, in fact the whole camp area was vacant. After we setup camp, realized the
bathroom was a good 300yards away or more. We had a camper but who want to fill up tanks when you can a bathroom.
The misses went to use the facility, and was within eye shot of where I was. As she turn in the door, there is a man an lady naked as jay bird on the bench. The Lady looked over her should saw the wife and bolted into the stall, leaving MR. Happy swinging, and he ran in the stall. They were at the end of the bathroom, so my wife without a pause used the facility of the first, washed her hands and left. She said she was trying not to laugh, and made for a very funny camp story. Its been told many times since 1987. We never did see other campsites, so not sure if they were workers or? As they were err not wearing and ranger clothes.

1BA3BB0A-3F64-486B-8B6A-0AFFD20640FD.jpeg C88A54A1-CA3D-4EA7-B096-14D57C1AE802.jpeg Wifey and I were in Winthrop,WA a couple of weeks ago and found this in a display case in the local museum. Obviously I can't authenticate the story, but it's a good read.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top