JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe not strange but I've run into these on the east side of the cascades quite a few times.

image.jpeg

That is a "small" one I found while mountain biking in Bend. Those antennae are probably 3-4 inches long. The big ones are twice that size or more.

image.jpg And then there's this, a 3" long critter called the "horn tailed wood wasp". These, will make a grown man turn and run head long into a tree!
It took me a long time to accept that they don't sting, I still ain't grabbing one like I did one of those "toe biters" to test that out though.

That one looks like a giant house spider. I will get them around the basement door once the weather begins to cool. Years ago I was the manager for a ceramic tile dist. in Portland. One day one of my coworkers told me I needed to check out this nasty spider that would run out at him from under a pallet. I thought yeah right. I got down so I could see and this thing runs out and HISSES at me. It was at least 6" from leg to leg. I did a fast guerilla stomp. Figured it came from one of the overseas containers.

Several years ago, My brother and I were hunting cougar up near Swift Res, and we found a field of these very large spiders that had webs from tree to tree, and big enough/strong enough to catch and hold a humming bird! These spiders looked almost exactly like the normal garden spiders but about three to four times the size and were bright neon orange with yellowish spots! Big nasty suckers! The only way to find them was to wave a stalk of long grass out in front to catch the webs! The biggest one I saw was about 4'' long, Body and head, with legs that spanned about 5'' I have been told they are normal in these areas, but in all my years I have only seen them one time!

Several years ago, My brother and I were hunting cougar up near Swift Res, and we found a field of these very large spiders that had webs from tree to tree, and big enough/strong enough to catch and hold a humming bird! These spiders looked almost exactly like the normal garden spiders but about three to four times the size and were bright neon orange with yellowish spots! Big nasty suckers! The only way to find them was to wave a stalk of long grass out in front to catch the webs! The biggest one I saw was about 4'' long, Body and head, with legs that spanned about 5'' I have been told they are normal in these areas, but in all my years I have only seen them one time!

Hmmmm, what were you smokin round the campfire?:rolleyes:

Brutus Out

I have happened across these guys several times in my yard - I've always found them in the early morning as I was leaving for work (not my photos, I haven't bothered to take any myself). Big, big bugs, and they're beetles, which is one kind of bug that generally creeps me out. These are known as the "Giant Root Borer" and is one of the largest insects in North America. It can be found throughout Oregon, Washington and California, but is really difficult to find in most cases.

_7139685069GiantWoodBorerSIDE.jpg

_7129560056GiantWoodBorerBRITE.jpg

I've also found these huge green caterpillars before:

polyphemus_cat_oregon.jpg

These eventually turn into the moths that @salmonriverjohn posted a photo of above - the Polyphemus Moth - again, one of the largest in North America:

IMG_3232.JPG

These guys don't bother me nearly as much as the damn beetles do. Kind of pretty actually. I've seen the caterpillars more than I've seen the actual moths.

Thats funny salmonriverjohn.
Once while surfing , I had a otter slap my leg while he was playing tag.
Scared the sh!t out of me , till I saw him.
Andy

Oh man! I just had a similar experience with a freakin sea lion! Last fall I was surfing LaPush and something bumped me from below, hard enough to knock me off my board. I'm scared sh!tla$$ and scrambling back up onto it, thinking I'm about to get eaten, when I see this big f@@king sea lion charging me, head up and out of the water, snarling and teeth bared! Needless to say I paddled in as fast as I possibly could. The damn thing chased me all the way into shore! I think he was either playing or trying to assert dominance (which he definitely did, haha!) because if he wanted to get me, he obviously could have.
The funny thing is that now that I've shaved off my beard the sea lions leave me alone!
I know this had nothing to do with bugs but andy's otter story reminded me of my close encounter of the pinniped kind.

Yikes! BlackRyder.
I was surfing around Santa Cruz when the otter "tagged" me.
This was about 20 odd years ago.
I was stationed at Ft. Ord at the time and learned to surf , 'cause there were girls at the beach ... Buts thats another story LOL
Any way there I was at the beach paddling out and SLAP! against my leg.
Being from Ohio and not knowing much about the ocean , I figure something is wanting to eat me.
I reach down feel my and everything is there.
Now feeling kinda freaked out ... Up pops Mr.Otter chattering away and then swims off...
Andy

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top