JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
FYI passing along if anyone is interested in a home brew bug spray that actually works really well. From Jerry Baker recipe. Jerry Baker's backyard garden is name of book and old tv shows I think.

Don't know actual quantities cuz I don't measure but in 3 gallon sprayer I use about

1. Cigar tea - about 2 cups. put cigar butts in jar with water then use coffee filter when pouring into sprayer

2. Lemon dish soap - maybe 1/4 cup?

3. Mineral oil - maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup? Available at farm stores for about $50 for 2.5 gallons

4. Water - remainder

This stuff has worked wonders for me. Our yard has had crazy spiders and mosquitos since we moved in. We had newborn so I wanted to avoid chemicals and used electric tennis racket to kill spiders daily and didn't spray anything. Average was 35-40 spiders most days in summer and into fall and record was 220 in one day. Average killed per year was around 2500 or higher each year over many years. Last year I used this mix and I probably killed around 70-100 the whole year. Can't remember how many times I sprayed but I would guess it was close to 5 sprays for the year. Only sprayed in active months. I don't saturated everything I just spray it fast and randomly over whole area and a little heavier in known buggy areas. Works really well on mosquitos also.

This year I tested without the cigar tea component cuz I was lazy and I would rank it maybe 3 out of 10 for effectiveness (mainly judging by mosquitos). With cigar tea added i would rank it around 9 to 9.5 out of 10 (I pretty much never rank anything 10 unless it's perfect ha ha). Also tried adding peppermint oil and I believe that has no benefit as far as I can tell.

All just FYI and feel free to ignore. I believe mineral oil component is mainly for spider and ground crawling insects but just a guess.

Re cigar tea here is what 3 butts in about 16oz of water looks like after 1 day.

F2EF963F-947F-40FB-B1B0-4063D67641DF.jpeg

Last Edited:
FYI passing along if anyone is interested in a home brew bug spray that actually works really well. From Jerry Baker recipe. Jerry Baker's backyard garden is name of book and old tv shows I think.

Don't know actual quantities cuz I don't measure but in 3 gallon sprayer I use about

1. Cigar tea - about 2 cups. put cigar butts in jar with water then use coffee filter when pouring into sprayer

2. Lemon dish soap - maybe 1/4 cup?

3. Mineral oil - maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup? Available at farm stores for about $50 for 2.5 gallons

4. Water - remainder

This stuff has worked wonders for me. Our yard has had crazy spiders and mosquitos since we moved in. We had newborn so I wanted to avoid chemicals and used electric tennis racket to kill spiders daily and didn't spray anything. Average was 35-40 spiders most days in summer and into fall and record was 220 in one day. Average killed per year was around 2500 or higher each year over many years. Last year I used this mix and I probably killed around 70-100 the whole year. Can't remember how many times I sprayed but I would guess it was close to 5 sprays for the year. Only sprayed in active months. I don't saturated everything I just spray it fast and randomly over whole area and a little heavier in known buggy areas. Works really well on mosquitos also.

This year I tested without the cigar tea component cuz I was lazy and I would rank it maybe 3 out of 10 for effectiveness (mainly judging by mosquitos). With cigar tea added i would rank it around 9 to 9.5 out of 10 (I pretty much never rank anything 10 unless it's perfect ha ha). Also tried adding peppermint oil and I believe that has no benefit as far as I can tell.

All just FYI and feel free to ignore. I believe mineral oil component is mainly for spider and ground crawling insects but just a guess.

Re cigar tea here is what 3 butts in about 16oz of water looks like after 1 day.

View attachment 1227768
Nicotine has been a farmer's secret sauce for pesticide for a long time. Sweet write up! Thanks for sharing!

You can buy bulk "Rollin Tobacco" and most good smoke shops for around $10.99 a half pound, makes better "Tea" then nasty old cigar butts! Don't need any special flavors, and the best part, Oregon dosnt get to tax it like it does for normal tobacco products! This should help all those who don't smoke or smoke Cigars!

Happy spraying!

Pro tip, plant used cigarette butts shallow around the base of your more vulnerable plants like Strawberries and it will keep the nasties out, especially slugs and snails!

You can also add used tea bags and Cofveve grounds, as long as it ain't that super high test acid Starsucks!

You can buy bulk "Rollin Tobacco" and most good smoke shops for around $10.99 a half pound, makes better "Tea" then nasty old cigar butts! Don't need any special flavors, and the best part, Oregon dosnt get to tax it like it does for normal tobacco products! This should help all those who don't smoke or smoke Cigars!

Happy spraying!

Pro tip, plant used cigarette butts shallow around the base of your more vulnerable plants like Strawberries and it will keep the nasties out, especially slugs and snails!

You can also add used tea bags and Cofveve grounds, as long as it ain't that super high test acid Starsucks!
Have to say I had never heard of this. Will have to buy some tobacco and give this a try. :)

That works really well as a weed killer, but it has to be fresh, not bottled and stored up! :D
I'm here to tell you, that's not totally true. Now, ifin' yer out there every morning with the "first O' the day, it works a little better. But that's not terribly convenient for a good part of the year in these parts.
And, all those dark green tall spots with a dead dandelion in the middle can bring funny looks from the neighbors and passers by.

I'm here to tell you, that's not totally true. Now, ifin' yer out there every morning with the "first O' the day, it works a little better. But that's not terribly convenient for a good part of the year in these parts.
And, all those dark green tall spots with a dead dandelion in the middle can bring funny looks from the neighbors and passers by.
You wanna kill weeds naturally?? 1 gallon 30% vinegar diluted to 17.5 with a gallon of common 5% vinegar along with a half pint of Orange Oil will kill any plant in one day better and safer than Roundup.You want to put it on a sunny day with no forecast for rain for 48Hrs. You do have to be careful though, as the 30% will burn the crap out of you if it gets on your skin or in your eyes-STRONG STUFF. Its available at Home Depot/Lowes/Minards! It costa about $30 for 2 gallons of solution. Be careful as this solution is indesriminate and will kill ALL vegitation I don't know what Roundup goes for these days but this is much, much safer for the environment. The Vinegar is also a very strong de-greaser too!!!

Last Edited:
You wanna kill weeds naturally?? 1 gallon 30% vinegar diluted to 17.5 with a gallon of common 5% vinegar along with a half pint of Orange Oil will kill any plant in one day better and safer than Roundup.You want to put it on a sunny day with no forecast for rain for 48Hrs. You do have to be careful though, as the 30% will burn the crap out of you if it gets on your skin or in your eyes-STRONG STUFF. Its available at Home Depot/Lowes/Minards! It costa about $30 for 2 gallons of solution. Be careful as this solution is indesriminate and will kill ALL vegitation I don't know what Roundup goes for these days but this is much, much safer for the environment. The Vinegar is also a very strong de-greaser too!!!
A can get, or could anyway, 2.5 gal of 41% roundup for about $52.00. That's 2-3 TBSP per gallon of water. Last time I got it was about a year ago. It took me a loong time to use that on weeds in sidewalks and driveways and other spot spraying. I didn't use it indiscriminately. In my vegetable gardens over the years it was used just for border weed control. Not within the rows.

A can get, or could anyway, 2.5 gal of 41% roundup for about $52.00. That's 2-3 TBSP per gallon of water. Last time I got it was about a year ago. It took me a loong time to use that on weeds in sidewalks and driveways and other spot spraying. I didn't use it indiscriminately. In my vegetable gardens over the years it was used just for border weed control. Not within the rows.
No I get it. Its not cheap to not use pesticides and other poisons. Two gallons of this concoction will treat all the spot weeding I do for the summer.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top