JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Aloha gang,
I'm in the market for a new pistol. Now, I'm looking at either the Sig P226/MK-25, Sig M11-A1, or the S&W M&P. This would be my primary Home-Defense / Target pistol. I really like the MK-25, but I'm struggling justifying the $900 price tag vs. +/- $500 for the M&P. Is the MK-25 that much better? Or does it just come down to Personal preference? Apples & Oranges? Thoughts? I finally got to hold a M11 at Sportsman's today, felt pretty good in the hand. Grips were just a little big for my liking, but manageable. Are smaller grips available?
Thank you for your input!

Last Edited:
Go with the sig. Really you just need to shoot both and see what fits better. The sig is all metal, beautiful, and softer shooting. The M&P is utilitarian, plastic and does not fee as good in the hand. Really they are both great, just two different types of guns.

Howz it bruh....

The p226 is a good pistol. The mk25 variant is a cool variant,
But sig markets it as a navy clone and also sprays the internals with a corrision resistant finish. In my opinion the sig m11 is the same as the mk25, but it comes with the shot reset trigger. ( please let me know if I missed something). Outside of revolvers, a shield is the only S&W I have, and It tends to sit in the safe as I carry others. I have HKs, sigs, glocks, smiths, and rugers, but tend to trust the ugly glock the most... If I had to choose between any sig 226 or a m&p, I'd choose the sig. If money is an option, I'd stick with the m&p and spend the extra money on ammo. I do like my sigs, but have noticed that their finish wears quicker then my other firearms. Nothing major. But just an observation brudder ....

In my humble opinion you need to choose a general action type and then invest your time and effort in only that type. DA/SA is a great system, historically (Sig, Beretta, CZ). SA with thumb safety (1911) is also proven. Polymer "safe" action (Glock, M&P, XD) is also extremely popular and successful. Pick one action first and then choose your favorite within that action style. I have gone even the next step and ONLY own guns within that one action type.

Or just pick a gun you like, for whatever reasons make sense to you, and practice a bunch.

Between Sig and M&P I'd go with the Smith&Wesson every day!!

If your not going to use it to carry, buy a metal frames gun and not a polymer.

Heavier guns are easier to shoot.

I'd buy a Berreta 92 but that's just me - 9mm is fine for HD Imo.

Having owned and shot both the P226 and the M&P I would say go with the Smith. I was unimpressed with the Sig, high bore and can't get over the DAK trigger pull. Again though, highly reccomend going to a range and shooting all the guns you are interested in. Depending on where you go you could end up spending close to $100 with lane fees, rental fees, and ammo. However, definitely worth it in the long run. Holding and dryfiring them can narrow the field, but shooting them will tell you for sure.

I am another vote for the M&P. I have owned several Sig's including a 226. If they where the same price I would choose the M&P. I own 4 of them, so I have put my money where my mouth is.

The thing is not everyone looks for or needs the same thing in a handgun. The 226 does not fit my hand well where the M&P feels like it was made to a mold of my hand.

If you can find a P226 and your M&P of choice and get them both to the range on the same day it will tell you far more than what you will learn from a bunch of yahoo's on the interwebs though. That is really the best thing you could do.

Get an M&P, put in an Apex DCAEK kit and enjoy! I like striker fired guns and the DCAEK gets rid of the only bad thing about the M&P and you're still hundreds of dollars less than a Sig.

The SIG-Sauer is a fine pistol and would serve you well. I own and have carried a P220 fairly regularly. That said, I'm starting to lean toward the S&W M&P9 as my new all-around sidearm.

m&p9-hrz3633-20141026-660.jpg

The M&P has built-in grip customizations, which make it more ergonomic than any stock SIG-Sauer model. It also shoots premium defensive ammunition very comfortably. Prices are lower too …

m&p9-hrz3633-20150126-726.jpg

However, the Apex Tactical upgrades are a must in my opinion. The stock configuration is geared to, well, military and police requirements, which are notably different than those of defensive, competitive, and recreational shooters.

Take all the money you were going to spend on the Sig, and buy the M&P, weapon light, more mags, and ammo.

Unless you are able to shoot the Sig significantly better than the M&P. but then again if you spent the difference on ammo and practice, you should be able to shoot both equally.

I own a Sig 229, and an M&P. Both are great. My opinion is based solely on your stated purpose of setting up a home defense gun for as little $ as possible.

before you spend money on the Apex, run your M&P thru a 25cent trigger job.
(youtube)
Basic concept is you are polishing, not removing material, from everywhere the metal makes contact in the trigger mechanism. You might as well polish all the metal parts while you are in there. Doesn't take as long as listening to an album. (assuming you know what one of those is ) No need to break out a Dremmel or bench grinder with a polishing wheel. Easily done by hand. Hit the feed ramp while you have the metal polish out.

I see this on the S&W and other Gun Forums often - "I just bought this gun, and I need to change out internal parts." Really? Shoot the thing, does it need that?

Grips or sights I get, need to have a useful setup.

I've had or at least fired almost all of these that are discussed here. But what I've come down to in terms of just the best amalgam of all the good factors, at least in a 9mm or .40 S&W platform, are the Walther pistols. I've had a PPQ M1 and PPQ M2, but what I have now is the P99 AS. It runs around $600, is accurate as can be, and is one of the few examples of a genuine DA/SA striker fired pistol complete with decocker. It gives you the choice of decocking it and having a long DA first trigger stroke and subsequent extremely light SA stroke with short reset; what they call anti-stress mode where the striker is cocked but the trigger is in the DA position and reminds you with a slight click when you pull it back to remind you you've started what is in effect a longer but light single action trigger pull; or you can place it in SA mode with the trigger all the way back to the rear SA position for a quick first shot. Fit and finish is equal to most of these, if not better, and the ergonomics of the thing are amazing in terms of how it fits your hand and points instinctively. Just an alternative that allows you a great, easily carried concealed weapon with the diversity to meet your needs as a home defense weapon as well. I carry the P99 or a Walther PPS (super sweet carry gun) pretty much exclusively now. The P99 comes with paddle mag releases, but once you use them for a day, you'll probably not want to go back to button mag releases. Whatever you decide on, good luck with your decision.

Last Edited:
I own Sigs and they are awesome. I also own an M&P9 and I abslutely love it. I run mine stock as it came right out of the box and see no need to alter it at this point, other than putting night sights on it. Recoil is not an issue, my daughter was shooting it when she was 7 years old with no trouble. Given a choice, even though the Sig P series pistols are still one of my faves, I would go with the M&P9. If I had the funds I may even look at the VTAC model as those sights intrigue me.

I do not know what the differences are between a M&P and a M&P Pro but I looked it up once and tried to find a Pro, couldn't and bought something else. I think you should buy what you want in your heart or there will always be those nagging doubts, For a all metal gun I favor a Lionheart, great gun with a three way function similar to the Walther P99, but hammer fired, accurate, accurate, accurate. It has an external safety which some like

I have never owned a Sig, but I have noticed lots of finish wear on those that are used. My son has carried a variety of Sigs and Glocks and when ICE recently allowed a group of choices to their people, he dumped his Sig 40 for a Glock. Money was not an issue. Oddly Glocks in 40 were not an option so he has a 17.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top