Still Available?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by WAYNO, Jun 19, 2017.

1. WAYNO

WAYNO
    Oregon City
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Over and over, I see that question posted on current ads. Then silence from the person asking the question.

Yesterday, I happened to do some searching on this forum, and discovered at least one person seems to follow the classified ads, and has asked "Still Available" on many ads, only to be silent after the response.

Kind've of like the old CB radio days when we'd say "10-36 please", or "radio check please", just to feel some importance.:cool:

WAYNO.

Caveman Jim, drewp, bbbass and 7 others like this.
  2. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    Warshington
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I thought about this too. I guessed its to weed out the dead classified ads?

Caveman Jim and Dyjital like this.
  3. SKrueger

SKrueger
    SW Washington
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter 2017 Volunteer

My guess it is a feeble attempt at getting there posts up or getting people to hit the like button. Either way its stupid!

4. WAYNO

WAYNO
    Oregon City
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

The people doing the asking are not mods, so they have no business feeling a need to weed out anything. Further, if they really need to feed their control need, then ask the question via PM. Their posted question ads to the clutter and is threadcrapping, unless they are truly interested in purchasing. And then, a PM is still most appropriate.

Dungannon, nammac, etrain16 and 4 others like this.
  5. Stomper

Stomper
    SCREW YOU SALEM!!
    SCREW YOU SALEM! Gold Supporter

Did someone say.... "threadcrapping"?!

:D

Caveman Jim, Brutus57, WAYNO and 3 others like this.
  6. Kent763

Kent763
    Gresham, OR

I've always felt like it's polite to post in the thread and also PM them. That way you give them a free bump if you don't end up purchasing it. Still, probably better to say something like "pm incoming" as opposed to "is it still available?"

Caveman Jim and notazombie like this.
  7. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2017 Volunteer

If I'm asking if an item is still available, it's because I'm genuinely interested in it. If someone is doing that as some form of thread policing, well I guess they might need another hobby?

8. Kruejl

Kruejl
    Hillsboro
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter

Agreed. If you are truly interested, send a Convo.

9. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon

By the way, there is one ad I've been watching, just out of curiosity since it's a kind of unique ad. Numerous posts by folks I think are legitimately interested, but no responses or updates being posted by the OP. I don't get that either.

10. Flymph

Flymph
    Oregon

i try to stay away from the classifieds since I'm only dreaming half the time.

Caveman Jim, Cardoff, partsed and 4 others like this.
  11. SKrueger

SKrueger
    SW Washington

I go look and dream all the time. For instance I wish I had the cash when @Kruejl was selling his pistol. :(

12. etrain16

etrain16
    Oregon

I usually am short on cash when @WAYNO has something interesting to sell - he sometimes has stuff you won't find anywhere else.

13. Flymph

Flymph
    Oregon

Yeah, I do sometimes, but it can be too painful...
    Of course I never luck out and get a deal when I can afford it. LoL

Sometimes I just like to numb or state something is cool.
    Bothers me the most when the seller doesn't post "sold" or ignores inquiries.

ogre, Alexx1401, WAYNO and 2 others like this.
  14. SKrueger

SKrueger
    SW Washington

HAHA Thats how I ended up with my first 1911 that I bought from @orygun

Alexx1401, orygun, WAYNO and 2 others like this.
  15. Medic!

Medic!
    What just happened?
    Pain in the neck.

There aint no rules. Except the rules. ;)

16. Flopsweat

Flopsweat
    Slightly right of center

thread_crapping.gif
    :D

17. teflon97239

teflon97239
    Portland, OR

I did a few successful trades/sales here through NWFA in years past before all the invasive leftist laws and computerized spam generators started springing up like coffee carts.

In the Craigslist world, "Still available" is just an automated spam bot reply to every single ad online. "Wat ur best price this item" and "Im interested" are popular too.

Then when the legit seller responds, "Why yes, I still have it! My phone number is (xxx) xxx-xxxx, call me tonight - [Teflon]" their real email address and whatever additional personal info they chose to share comes out from behind the anonymous Craigslist firewall and is added to a database of well-meaning suckers.

Such data comprises a list, if nothing else, of active emails to bombard with fake Linked In spam. Maybe I've missed out on selling a few things, but if a supposed "buyer" is too mute to demonstrate the slightest hint of neural activity, I don't believe it's a real human and they ain't getting squat from me.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  18. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    PDX OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I always just assumed that some folks hit really old ads to really low ball those whose guns didn't sell before! Guess I'm naive and I'm certainly a low-tech. o_O

19. teflon97239

teflon97239
    Portland, OR

And that may indeed be the whole story here on NWFA Sarge. I kinda hope that's the case, but I've not bothered with it in more than a few years so I can't say. Once I determine I'm dealing with an actual human in any context, I always take 10 seconds to let people know:

- Thanks, no longer interested
    - Too much
    - Already sold

Or whatever. At least that gives the other party a chance to get back with me in case some other "sure deal" falls through. Ya takes yer chances...

Flymph, Alexx1401 and Howard1955 like this.
  20. Howard1955

Howard1955
    Dallas, Oregon

I think I might've been guilty of asking if something was still available... For me, there's been a learning curve that includes navigating/using the site, proper etiquette (don't want to get verbally shot at), and how to use the iPhone & iPad.

A few years ago, before I got an iPad, I was up very late and using a phone to cruise around on eBay. Unable to sleep because of back pain, I took some strong meds - and accidentally bought a ukulele. But it turned out to have a happy ending.

Still learning over here.

CamoDeafie, orygun, Flymph and 4 others like this.