JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Over and over, I see that question posted on current ads. Then silence from the person asking the question.

Yesterday, I happened to do some searching on this forum, and discovered at least one person seems to follow the classified ads, and has asked "Still Available" on many ads, only to be silent after the response.

Kind've of like the old CB radio days when we'd say "10-36 please", or "radio check please", just to feel some importance.:cool:

WAYNO.

The people doing the asking are not mods, so they have no business feeling a need to weed out anything. Further, if they really need to feed their control need, then ask the question via PM. Their posted question ads to the clutter and is threadcrapping, unless they are truly interested in purchasing. And then, a PM is still most appropriate.

Their posted question ads to the clutter and is threadcrapping, unless they are truly interested in purchasing. And then, a PM is still most appropriate.

I've always felt like it's polite to post in the thread and also PM them. That way you give them a free bump if you don't end up purchasing it. Still, probably better to say something like "pm incoming" as opposed to "is it still available?"

If I'm asking if an item is still available, it's because I'm genuinely interested in it. If someone is doing that as some form of thread policing, well I guess they might need another hobby?

By the way, there is one ad I've been watching, just out of curiosity since it's a kind of unique ad. Numerous posts by folks I think are legitimately interested, but no responses or updates being posted by the OP. I don't get that either.

Yeah, I do sometimes, but it can be too painful...
Of course I never luck out and get a deal when I can afford it. LoL

Sometimes I just like to numb or state something is cool.
Bothers me the most when the seller doesn't post "sold" or ignores inquiries.

Did someone say.... "threadcrapping"?!

:D
thread_crapping.gif
:D

I did a few successful trades/sales here through NWFA in years past before all the invasive leftist laws and computerized spam generators started springing up like coffee carts.

In the Craigslist world, "Still available" is just an automated spam bot reply to every single ad online. "Wat ur best price this item" and "Im interested" are popular too.

Then when the legit seller responds, "Why yes, I still have it! My phone number is (xxx) xxx-xxxx, call me tonight - [Teflon]" their real email address and whatever additional personal info they chose to share comes out from behind the anonymous Craigslist firewall and is added to a database of well-meaning suckers.

Such data comprises a list, if nothing else, of active emails to bombard with fake Linked In spam. Maybe I've missed out on selling a few things, but if a supposed "buyer" is too mute to demonstrate the slightest hint of neural activity, I don't believe it's a real human and they ain't getting squat from me.

Last Edited:
I always just assumed that some folks hit really old ads to really low ball those whose guns didn't sell before! Guess I'm naive and I'm certainly a low-tech. o_O

I always just assumed that some folks hit really old ads to really low ball those whose guns didn't sell before! Guess I'm naive and I'm certainly a low-tech. o_O

And that may indeed be the whole story here on NWFA Sarge. I kinda hope that's the case, but I've not bothered with it in more than a few years so I can't say. Once I determine I'm dealing with an actual human in any context, I always take 10 seconds to let people know:

- Thanks, no longer interested
- Too much
- Already sold

Or whatever. At least that gives the other party a chance to get back with me in case some other "sure deal" falls through. Ya takes yer chances...

I think I might've been guilty of asking if something was still available... For me, there's been a learning curve that includes navigating/using the site, proper etiquette (don't want to get verbally shot at), and how to use the iPhone & iPad.

A few years ago, before I got an iPad, I was up very late and using a phone to cruise around on eBay. Unable to sleep because of back pain, I took some strong meds - and accidentally bought a ukulele. But it turned out to have a happy ending.

Still learning over here.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR