JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was invited to a contractor appreciation BBQ that a large Portland materials supply house puts on every year.
I showed up in my old beater contractor van and while standing in line at the beer keg I met an older guy in his late sixties that had just arrived in a brand new Corvette.
Turns out he was one of the biggest home builders in the PDX area.
I asked him how he liked his new car and his frank response kinda set me back a bit.
He told me that he's been buying a new Vette every year since 1970 and quite frankly he doesn't really care for them anymore, but it's expected of him.
I then asked him how's the house building business and he confided in me that the banks owned him, along with his three ex wives, and that a down turn in the economy would probably put him under.
He then asked what I did, and I told him that I build custom additions on middle class homes and do all the work myself.
He said that's how he started many years ago and he would gladly trade places with me in a heartbeat, because the bigger and richer he got, the more miserable he became.

I was invited to a contractor appreciation BBQ that a large Portland materials supply house puts on every year.
I showed up in my old beater contractor van and while standing in line at the beer keg I met an older guy in his late sixties that had just arrived in a brand new Corvette.
Turns out he was one of the biggest home builders in the PDX area.
I asked him how he liked his new car and his frank response kinda set me back a bit.
He told me that he's been buying a new Vette every year since 1970 and quite frankly he doesn't really care for them anymore, but it's expected of him.
I then asked him how's the house building business and he confided in me that the banks owned him, along with his three ex wives, and that a down turn in the economy would probably put him under.
He then asked what I did, and I told him that I build custom additions on middle class homes and do all the work myself.
He said that's how he started many years ago and he would gladly trade places with me in a heartbeat, because the bigger and richer he got, the more miserable he became.

I have heard a similar story from more than one person... but then I also have a friend who started building stove inserts in his garage and turned it into a company with 150 employees (Country Stoves). Great guy, he sold out maybe 10 years ago and when he did he gave a million dollars back to his employees as a thank you (split evenly between them)

You couldn't find a happier guy, he loved what he did.

I can also tell you I hate the business aspect of my business and I really don't like dealing with money (or people really)

What I like to do is build stuff.

Last Edited:
That's what was funny about it to me. I cough up $6000 property taxes to Moldnomah County every year to rob guys in my kitchen.

Just not the same as that shjtty stormy midnight in a Hillsboro strip joint parking lot when I paid $40 for half a dozen wall mount guitar hooks.

OMG, did you do a Satan/Robert Johnson deal there? :eek:

Not that you would, but someone walking around in public saying, "I have $11,000 in cash and gold on me" would be a special kind of stupid...
He just liked to fight, was tougher than just about anybody, had plenty of cash, and everyone knew he would take them out for trying. Don't know if anyone tried, but I know nobody ever succeeded in taking his cash. Maybe not the safest thing to do, but I'm not going to call him stupid.

My GF's grandfather was the kind of guy to carry 10k at all times and show it off. He would claim, "just try to take it from me!"... followed by what I assume was maniacal laughter. Never had any trouble he couldn't handle. All this was back in the 70's and 80's, so I assume that it's more like 30k in modern value.

Hopefully some of the folks posting in the ads read this thread to learn proper etiquette.

My first homicide investigation in 1987 involved a guy in the habit of flashing a lot less cash than that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top