JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The forces are the same, but the area of a bullet is much smaller than a stock, so the pressure at impact is higher.

It's not only the surface area of the stock, but also the weight of the weapon, which leads to the force being applied over period of time as opposed to "all at once". As for the receiving side, if they are equipped with hard plates which will distribute the projectile's energy onto a larger area without deformation, then some of the issues are mitigated. I think though, there is still the problem of the "force by time" situation. Ideally, the bullet needs to slow down (and transfer its energy to the plate) for the same amount of time it spent accelerating, instead of coming to a stop instantly as it hits the barrier.

The forces are the same, but the area of a bullet is much smaller than a stock, so the pressure at impact is higher. Imagine replacing the stock with a thin rod welded to a .50 bullet at the end. Then stick it straight in front of you and rest it against your chest and pull the trigger. This is what a bullet will feel like. Even if it doesn't penetrate a vest, it will make a large indentation in whatever soft thing is behind it. Probably powerful enough to cause bleeding beneath the skin.

Yes: The PSI would be higher on the bullet. No argument there, but we've stated it's being stopped by a vest, which means that it's imparting its energy to a vest. A vest spreads out the PSI over a much larger area causing exponentially less damage to any particular area. If people aren't being killed by punches in the ribs from heavyweight MMA fighters, (over 1000 PSI) a bullet (assuming it's stopped by a vest) won't either.

you forgot to take muzzle brakes into account as well...

A 50BMG has the energy of 10,561 lbs/ft @ 500 yards...

do you really think all of that energy is going back into your shoulder?

how about muzzle velocity because that is truly what should be compared since you are saying recoil and forward energy of the bullet are the same...

13k-14k lbs/ft muzzle energy.

if you think I am comparing apples and oranges: how many .50 beowulfs have you seen that do not have a muzzle brake? even if they don't have one, they will still have a buffer assembly to help absorb the recoil.

Pistols will have both.

the 50BMG pistol has a huge muzzle brake + dual shock absorbers on a floating barrel that moves in the pistol frame to help absorb the recoil.

vests don't have buffer tubes, shock absorbers, or muzzle brakes. ;)

you forgot to take muzzle brakes into account as well...

A 50BMG has the energy of 10,561 lbs/ft @ 500 yards...

do you really think all of that energy is going back into your shoulder?

how about muzzle velocity because that is truly what should be compared since you are saying recoil and forward energy of the bullet are the same...

13k-14k lbs/ft muzzle energy.

if you think I am comparing apples and oranges: how many .50 beowulfs have you seen that do not have a muzzle brake? even if they don't have one, they will still have a buffer assembly to help absorb the recoil.

Pistols will have both.

the 50BMG pistol has a huge muzzle brake + dual shock absorbers on a floating barrel that moves in the pistol frame to help absorb the recoil.

vests don't have buffer tubes, shock absorbers, or muzzle brakes. ;)

Some of that energy goes into your shoulder. First, think what makes up the recoil. One, is the motion of the projectile in the opposite direction. Two, is the interaction of the hot expanding gases with the ambient environment. There is also some relating to the automatics of the weapon system and the shift of mass in those parts, but that I believe would be the least of all. Now you bring the comps into equation, but I raise you one and say think about suppressed fire. Suppressor is essentially a highly efficient muzzle brake. Does the weapon still recoil when firing suppressed ? Also, as I opened by saying "some of that energy", what I meant is that a big system like Barrett M82 is not truly shoulder-fired. A lot of its mass is supported by the bipod, and that point of support likely mitigates some of the recoil through trivial friction against the ground. No numbers here, just logic :D

<Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel! Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

I better look at the two spam cans of 5.45 I have and see if I have the 7N6. Should double in price quickly.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Come on guys, do a little research. The .50 Beowulf is a low velocity (relatively speaking) high energy round. Even with a 300 grain bullet it doesn't break 2,000 FPS but it has enormous energy, something like 2,300 ft pounds for that 300 grainer and over 3,000 ft pounds for a 400 grainer. Now, as for what it MIGHT do to your shoulder, the important consideration for that is the max pressure the rounds develops. The specs for the round show a MAX pressure of 33,000 PSI. That's less than a .357 magnum. So, while it is definitely NOT a good thing to be on the receiving end of this round it WILL NOT destroy your shoulder.

For a .50 BMG, all bets are off for that sucker. It's best to just not be around if someone is popping off with one of those. Especially, if they've decided you're the bad guy for whatever reason.

You havent seen the panic?
Oh buddy, yes much of the older corrosive steel core 54r that was a mere 50-80 per tin can has and is on the rise price wise.
Panic has set in and they're buying it up left and right.
Why? Not sure.. Its not like its on the chopping block.. But with out current political leaders.. Who knows.

I've also noticed Russian ammo on a steady increase for the last year or two. Sure, Mosins are still cheap, but considering the price of 54r lately, no thank you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top