JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi everyone.
I'm sorry to report, but I came across this article on Bangswitch that says they're (ATF) banning the import of 7N6 5.45x39 because someone has finally built a pistol chambered for it...
http://www.thebangswitch.com/import-ban-on-7n6-5-45x39/

So I checked the link on what happened to the import of steel core 7.62x39 back in '94...
http://www.thegunzone.com/762x39.html

By this stupid "cop killer bullet" B.S. Law, wouldn't all rifle rounds shot from a handgun be "armor piercing"...?!?
Like a BFR firing 444 Marlin. ...?

I mean if IIIA armor (the highest level I know police to use) can only handle up to a 44 Mag slug, wouldn't 445 Supermag be considered "armor piercing" regardless of what material the bullet is made out of...?
I would imagine any 223 pistol would punch through IIIA...

Isn't it time we end stupid laws made by stupid people...?
Can't we produce cheap ammo here in America instead of importing that stuff from our soon-to-be enemy....?!?!?!?

Hi everyone.
I'm sorry to report, but I came across this article on Bangswitch that says they're (ATF) banning the import of 7N6 5.45x39 because someone has finally built a pistol chambered for it...
http://www.thebangswitch.com/import-ban-on-7n6-5-45x39/

So I checked the link on what happened to the import of steel core 7.62x39 back in '94...
http://www.thegunzone.com/762x39.html

By this stupid "cop killer bullet" B.S. Law, wouldn't all rifle rounds shot from a handgun be "armor piercing"...?!?
Like a BFR firing 444 Marlin. ...?

I mean if IIIA armor (the highest level I know police to use) can only handle up to a 44 Mag slug, wouldn't 445 Supermag be considered "armor piercing" regardless of what material the bullet is made out of...?
I would imagine any 223 pistol would punch through IIIA...

Isn't it time we end stupid laws made by stupid people...?
Can't we produce cheap ammo here in America instead of importing that stuff from our soon-to-be enemy....?!?!?!?
Have you written your Congress rep's and senators?
I wrote mine, still waiting for a reply.
I also wrote the NRA and got a response here:
Thank you for contacting the NRA-ILA. Please see the link below for information regarding BATFE's recent actions to restrict importation of 5.45 x 39 ammunition. You can rest assured that the NRA will keep on top of this issue. We appreciate your support.
Sincerely,
Erik
NRA-ILA

This link was also included in the reply: http://www.nraila.org/legislation/federal-legislation/2014/4/batfe-bans-import-of-military-surplus-545-sporting-ammunition.aspx

I don't have direct answers for you but I do have definitions.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/921

(17)
(A) The term "ammunition" means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm.

(B) The term "armor piercing ammunition" means—
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

(C) The term "armor piercing ammunition" does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Attorney General finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Attorney General finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.

Here is a recent and interesting article on the subject, http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...r-input-on-armor-piercing-all-copper-bullets/

Here is another article on it, <broken link removed>

I was looking for, and could not find it, the ATF had a section that specifically listed some bullets that were and were not AP.

But doesn't part B (ii) make it invalid due to not being larger than 22...?
And wouldn't a 223 pistol with fmj still punch through standard vest...?

But doesn't part B (ii) make it invalid due to not being larger than 22...?
And wouldn't a 223 pistol with fmj still punch through standard vest...?

If you measure the projectile with a micrometer, it is .221"

5.56 M855 and ss109 and 30-06 M2 AP ammo are exempted by the ATF, I assume as "sporting" ammo.

Unfortunately they succeeded in banning it, citing some pistol that may/may not have ever been imported...
http://www.thebangswitch.com/bye-bye-7n6/

Sounds like a ploy to make ammo more scarce.
Thanks Obama administration! ;)
Well, on the up side they have to allow the importation of the 5.45 pistol.. Still plenty of commercial 5.45.. Well not really.. But after the panic dies down, maybe.

WHY?? 54R isn't steel core, at least none of the surplus I have ever shot.
You havent seen the panic?
Oh buddy, yes much of the older corrosive steel core 54r that was a mere 50-80 per tin can has and is on the rise price wise.
Panic has set in and they're buying it up left and right.
Why? Not sure.. Its not like its on the chopping block.. But with out current political leaders.. Who knows.

funny how they are afraid of a very uncommon round, yet they don't fear a 5.56 Pistol with steel penetrator rounds...

hell even FMJ rounds will punch through their vests.

don't even get me started on what .50 beowulf will do to them...it doesn't need to penetrate, just the sheer force if it hitting will collapse your chest and crush your ribcage.

I know of no vest or plate that will stop a .50BMG. even if one did: same scenario the impact alone is like getting hit by a freight train. you will not survive it, and if by some miracle you do: you will wish you didn't...

funny how they are afraid of a very uncommon round, yet they don't fear a 5.56 Pistol with steel penetrator rounds...

don't even get me started on what .50 beowulf will do to them...it doesn't need to penetrate, just the sheer force if it hitting will collapse your chest and crush your ribcage.

I know of no vest or plate that will stop a .50BMG. even if one did: same scenario the impact alone is like getting hit by a freight train. you will not survive it, and if by some miracle you do: you will wish you didn't...

It's not over yet....

<broken link removed>

Reading the ATF letter, it says they are only banning Russian 7N6, not all steel core ammo. Considering the timing, this may have more to do with putting the squeeze on Russia for invading Crimea than domestic gun control. They certainly could have said all steel-core 5.45 was banned, but did not. So maybe they will stop and allow importation of other cartridges.

Ban this and ban that little by little it will be all gone and the TV watchers will never know the difference. Gun free U.S.A. We will be happy subjects of the new world order.

... A butt end of a rifle is a heck of a lot smaller an area than that covered by a bullet proof vest. If the round is sufficient to collapse someone's chest a .50 beowolf round should at least dislocate the shoulder, if not dismember the arm of anyone unlucky enough to fire it. Despite what's seen in Hollywood Newton's laws still apply. Assuming a vest stops the round from penetrating (which I agree wouldn't really happen with our current generation of vests) the force exerted would be the same (but more diffused) as the recoil: It wouldn't collapse anyone's chest. It could break a rib, but the force to collapse someone's chest is enormous.

The forces are the same, but the area of a bullet is much smaller than a stock, so the pressure at impact is higher. Imagine replacing the stock with a thin rod welded to a .50 bullet at the end. Then stick it straight in front of you and rest it against your chest and pull the trigger. This is what a bullet will feel like. Even if it doesn't penetrate a vest, it will make a large indentation in whatever soft thing is behind it. Probably powerful enough to cause bleeding beneath the skin.

While I don't think they're "afraid" of anything, here is my conspiracy theory... some US-based ammunition company pulled some strings to eliminate plinking ammo competition, end of story :D

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews