JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
119F9DCC-2D9D-42A0-B357-F70341AD2421.jpeg I went out to shoot my new Kimber Christmas present today, I had a bunch of blazer brass ammo, and a box of Tula ammo someone had given me. I loaded up a magazine full of the Tula ammo and fired it, I noticed when the bullets hit the backstop, fire would fly, my first thought was wtf is that all about, then it struck me, could that possibly be from bullets made of steel? I pulled out my pocket knife and sure enough I couldn't cut into the bullet, I was P.O. d to say the least, when I got home I stuck a magnet to the bullets, you can see the results in the accompanying picture. I can't believe I ran that garbage through my new match grade barrel :mad::mad::mad:

Take an appropriately safe ban saw and cut a bullet in half. Rockwell test the interior of the bullet. Or do the Okie hardness test using different files.
I plan on cutting one in half with a bandsaw tomorrow, to see what the composition is and see how thick that hard stinking jacket really is.

The U.S did use bimetal jacks in one of the World Wars, the Russians still use bimetal jackets. I'd be more concerned with the powder used before I get concerned about the bimetal jacket.

Last Edited:
I use surplus ammo (steel/copper bimetal jackets and corrosive primers) in my Warsaw Pact guns without any concern. I just make sure I clean them thoroughly; contrary to instinct, running some water through to neutralize the corrosive salts seems to work pretty well. I had one case of a very light bit of rust in the gas tube on my SLR-104 when I just tried to use CLP. No issues since throwing a bit of water in the cleaning routine.

I also have some .223, 9mm, and .45 ACP from spam cans that is commercial production. It's bimetal jacket, but non-corrosively primed. I picked it up mostly to add the lids to my collection. Not sure if I would buy any more (especially since I'm trying to get into the reloading game and leverage a bit of savings--I got the press and a bunch of related tools from my Dad for free) but I don't feel exceedingly guilty about it. After all, it seems to have worked just fine in conflicts throughout modern history.

Not gonnna lie, gotta wonder where people got the notion that ammonia is needed for corrosive ammo. Windex does not have a lot of ammonia in it, and the ammonia you buy at the stores isn't a lot of ammonia either.

I recently shot a box of USGI .45 acp ammo through my new 1911. It was steel case, magnetic bullet, and corrosive primed (dated 1943). It shot great, plenty accurate for ammo that's three quarters of a century old. I cleaned the barrel that evening, no harm done.

Of course my cheap Philippine made 1911 is no Kimber. I bought it as an inexpensive range gun to shoot cheap ammo, so that's a little different.

what exactly is a "match grade" barrel? And how does running steel jacketed ammo hurt it over any other barrel?

what exactly is a "match grade" barrel? And how does running steel jacketed ammo hurt it over any other barrel?
One of those fancy barrels meant for precision. And people have the idea that its the bimetal jacket that damages bores.

Its more likely the powder that does it, but you'd have to shoot thousands of rounds for it to make a difference.

yeah, to clarify my question I'm assuming that what makes a barrel "match grade" are its external dimensions and how it fits and locks up tighter to the slide for greater repeatability giving better accuracy. I'm assuming that if steel jacketed ammo was damaging to the bore on any barrels then it also would to all barrels and nobody of course would be using it by now. Can anyone tell me if thats correct?

If bimetal jackets did damage the bore like people think it would, then yes people would stop using it. But its not the bimetal jacket that does the damage, its the powder. And even then, it takes a lot (and I mean A LOT) of shooting before it makes a difference.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top