JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't like plastic, I like genuine USGI M2A1 or M2A2
Since genuine USGI boxes command such a high price, I'd like to be able to just buy new and know that I am getting the same USGI box.
I haven't been able to definitively discern who makes what.
I don't want Chinese made....I don't care how well they are made.

Here's what I know :
I can get genuine USGI, but with shipping it always seems to be about $20 for a M2A1 box.

Harbor Fright is Chinese and the metal is thinner than genuine.
And the giant label doesn't come off easily.

Sportsman's Warehouse Eagle branded ($20) looks genuine, but I am not sure.

Bimart Blackhawk branded ($20) looks genuine, but I am not sure.

Bimart 3 pack currently on sale (embossed "BIMART") is Chinese.

Cabela's 50 cal (embossed "Cabela's") is on my "not a fan" list and is of unknown country of origin.

Any intel to add ?

Real surplus was always easiest to buy cheap close to the base(s). This situation may not continue in recent years . Jblm has provided me with plenty over the years.

I haven't messed with any " brand new" cans other than the ones Costco gets sometimes.
Bought a few in green and a couple in black on different occasions. The only problem I had is the lids slide off the hinges easily.

BTW, even if you don't like plastic, the Mtm trays sized for .30 cal cans are very handy.

MAC30_3.jpg

While I am not certain, I would be surprised if any of the metal boxes you can purchase currently at the retailers you identified are US made. I have purchased metal ammo cans at Costco and they have been OK for me. I also have purchased some used metal cans from a local military surplus supplier (no shipping) and they have been fine for me as well.

I have no idea if these are made in China or not because I don't care, but BiMart has a three pack of a 30 inside a 50 inside a fat 50 for $30. They are not genuine GI surplus, but they are sturdy.

I agree, the plastic, even the MTM, and especially the Plano, are not good for ammo - the Plano lids lift off the body when loaded with ammo, so won't maintain a seal, and I doubt even the MTM would be as sturdy as the metal cans.

Army surplus store (Glenwood OR which is between Eugene and Springfield) has genuine USGI issued 30 or 50 cal metal boxes for $10 or $11ea. They have other various sizes but I don't know those prices.

Last Edited:
I don't like plastic, I like genuine USGI M2A1 or M2A2
Since genuine USGI boxes command such a high price, I'd like to be able to just buy new and know that I am getting the same USGI box.
I haven't been able to definitively discern who makes what.
I don't want Chinese made....I don't care how well they are made.

Here's what I know :
I can get genuine USGI, but with shipping it always seems to be about $20 for a M2A1 box.

Harbor Fright is Chinese and the metal is thinner than genuine.
And the giant label doesn't come off easily.

Sportsman's Warehouse Eagle branded ($20) looks genuine, but I am not sure.

Bimart Blackhawk branded ($20) looks genuine, but I am not sure.

Bimart 3 pack currently on sale (embossed "BIMART") is Chinese.

Cabela's 50 cal (embossed "Cabela's") is on my "not a fan" list and is of unknown country of origin.

Any intel to add ?
He doesn' ship, but if you have occasion to be around Beatty Nevada, there is a fellow that has a roadside operation, sells ammo cans and containers.
The real deal.
Best,
Gary

For USED cans. There are plenty of GI surplus ammo boxes at......

Sgt Gator's Post Exchange

★★★★☆
503-663-0862
12255 S.E. 282nd Ave.
Boring, OR 97009

But what did you really expect to see since your location is stated as.......

"Pacific Northwest"

Aloha, Mark

Pacific steel recycling near me usually has a couple pallets worth. Brand new, usgi, inexpensive. Check your local scrap yard.

In Vancouver we have Park Rose Hardware and once or twice a year they get a bunch of used GI ammo cans-- 50 cal, fat 50 cal and 30 cal. Some are beat up but others are in great shape. If you're near a PR, give them a look.
ps They didn't have any in house as of this past Tuesday

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads