JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Meh. I shoot steel gongs all the time as close as seven yards. Caught a piece of jacket to the cheek one time which drew blood. Never worried too much about it as I always wear eye protection.

So many Steel target manufacturers recommend "soft nose bullets" at 25 yards for handguns. Yet to find soft nose bullets sold in Portland metro aera. I guess jacketed open tip? Can you use just jacketed? What about SD ammo? Folks on TV are blasting at what seems like 10 yards & up. Sanctioned matchs on Shooting USA. What are they useing?Advise needed, thanks in advance!
You don't need soft nose bullets when shooting ar500. That's a bunch of crap. Must be peopel selling inferior metal plates saying that? I wouldn't use less than ar500 as there is no need they aren't very expensive unless getting into more exotic targets like star, dueling tree etc.

Just let them hang freely on inexpensive shepherds hooks (or more expensive chains) Fe. Then no worries at all. If not hanging freely (or fall down silhouettes) that's a whole different ballgame and I won't mess with that at all personally (except angled downward at established ranges where they can't move). I would never shoot cratered, softer than ar500, or damaged plates. No need. Buy the inexpensive ar500.

Last Edited:
You don't need soft nose bullets when shooting ar500. That's a bunch of crap. Must be peopel selling inferior metal plates saying that? I wouldn't use less than ar500 as there is no need they aren't very expensive unless getting into more exotic targets like star, dueling tree etc.

Just let them hang freely on inexpensive shepherds hooks (or more expensive chains) Fe. Then no worries at all. If not hanging freely (or fall down silhouettes) that's a whole different ballgame and I won't mess with that at all personally (except angled downward at established ranges where they can't move). I would never shoot cratered, softer than ar500, or damaged plates. No need. Buy the inexpensive ar500.

It seems like you've left out plate racks, which are just fine if bought from a reliable manufacturer. When properly maintained, as you mentioned, they are perfectly safe.

It seems like you've left out plate racks, which are just fine if bought from a reliable manufacturer. When properly maintained, as you mentioned, they are perfectly safe.
Very well could be. Have never shot them. Thx for the reminder. Some of the nice targets I have not used just cuz I don't want to lug all the apparatus around every time I go shooting (Shepherds poles are easy to move). If I had my own range where I could set them up and leave them I would definitely look at something like that but my #1 focus would be on moving targets if I had my own range I think. I have some ideas for how to build those but no place. If anybody has private land to shoot on near Pdx I would be happy to buy targets and leave them on site.

As a side note I saw a neat Ian McCollum video where he tested two handguns side by side using a big spinner. I thought it was a great test because acquisition, shooting accurately and recoil control all come into play. I think his test was how many shots to get it to flip over from one gun to another. A person could easily add time to that as well. Dynamic tests like that are great imo.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews