JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think there was anybody making new production ammo using steel cased projectiles, at least not for import to the US. Palmetto may use steel core projectiles but I would really doubt the tried to cheap out and use a steel jacketed bullet.
I'll have to check some of my Wolf and Barnaul. Both are current production. I could swear they said it was copper plated steel (bi-metal) jackets with lead core. There was also a video that tested expansion of current production 7.62x39 Wolf and Golden Tiger hollow point ammo. It didn't really expand, they said, because the bi-metal steel jackets were too hard to allow for the same level of expansion as copper jackets. Wish I could find that video again.

What am I going to do with my cases of 7N6?

As a favor I'll stop by and pick it up on my way to the recyclers since the PSA stuff will be waaaaay better.
choot-em.jpg

But I'm cheap and gettin' older. So.....do I really want/need to be reloading ammo in my free time?

Aloha, Mark

PS....there was a time when I could buy brand new steel-cased ammo cheaper than reloading the same caliber. Not to mention, the time involved. But yeah.....maybe the steel-cased stuff was NOT exactly what I wanted and/or of the same quality/accuracy vs. my reloads. Sometimes you win some and sometimes you lose some.

Last Edited:
I applaud the options.

Although my questions is, what made steel cased ammo so cheap in the first place? Was it the cost of materials? Was it easier to produce in larger quantities? Was it the surplus amount of ammo made by cheap conscripted soviet labor?

I think it is safe to say that steel case ammo doesn't do anything better than brass...and has it's own set of drawbacks. It's primary advantage was cheap plinking/practice ammo. If Palmetto makes it in the states, will they be able to offer it at a similar price to the Russians? If the cost ends up being similar to brass cased ammo, why would one choose steel?

The spent cases are up easier to pick up with a magnet:)

This is a GREAT video spot! Seems appropriate at least once a day now with so many new members exploring the forum and dragging old, moldy threads up to the top again! I never get tired of it!
But, then what do you do with it?
Your in Eugene? You put it in your recycle bin, of course! I thought we ALL knew that?
Using one of those Harbor Freight magnets at the range is so satisfying.

I truly doubt PSA is making this ammo themselves. Pretty much everything they sell is made under contract by someone else. I live a few miles away from their corporate office and their flagship store is my LGS. They get really vague when you ask questions about their branded stuff and seldom have their own items in stock. Someone is making ammo for PSA.

I have one of those big magnets with wheels. Every couple of months, I sweep the range and fill a 5 gallon bucket. And, yes, it goes into my steel recycling barrel.
What I really hate is .380 brass hidden among all the 9mm.
Sorry. Had to throw that in there.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top