JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We shoot a lot of AR500 with no problems, no etching or cratering.
Every kind of pistol ammo, but no penetrator rifle ammo at pistol distances.

4-20-19.jpg

So many Steel target manufacturers recommend "soft nose bullets" at 25 yards for handguns. Yet to find soft nose bullets sold in Portland metro aera. I guess jacketed open tip? Can you use just jacketed? What about SD ammo? Folks on TV are blasting at what seems like 10 yards & up. Sanctioned matchs on Shooting USA. What are they useing?Advise needed, thanks in advance!
I would think plated bullets would be safe on steel also. If you are shooting factory ammo look for bullets marked Copper Plated, Copper washed, Total Metal Jacket [TMJ] Etc... These are a very thin coat over a soft lead bullet. DR

So many Steel target manufacturers recommend "soft nose bullets" at 25 yards for handguns. Yet to find soft nose bullets sold in Portland metro aera. I guess jacketed open tip? Can you use just jacketed? What about SD ammo? Folks on TV are blasting at what seems like 10 yards & up. Sanctioned matchs on Shooting USA. What are they useing?Advise needed, thanks in advance!
I think that's a Cover My A$$ disclaimer.
We shoot every kind of handgun ammo at our AR500 steel and no issues.
Typical distance is 17-20 yards for our set up.
The AR500 just gets smudged where the bullets impact. (no nicks, no craters)

I think that's a Cover My A$$ disclaimer.
We shoot every kind of handgun ammo at our AR500 steel and no issues.
Typical distance is 17-20 yards for our set up.
The AR500 just gets smudged where the bullets impact. (no nicks, no craters)
I just shot a few hundred rounds of FMJ, copper plated wad cutter and #7½ bird shot at some AR500 plates a few hours ago. Everything deflected into the ground in front of the targets, just like it always does.

I shoot my 3/8" plate at 40 ft, sometimes less with a 240 grain .44 magnum and everything is fine. Just shoot, you'll be ok.

I also have a 3/4" AR 550 that's taken hits from my .50 BMG at 400 yards without a mark. AR plates are tougher than people give them credit for.

I have a Caldwell "Shoot'n Gallery". It's motorized with ducks on a chain The unit is for .22 rimfire and the first time I used it, I had it sitting on a work bench.

Even though the ducks are knocked down by a hit, I was really surprised by how much the bench was being torn up by the downward deflected bullets. :s0001:

I have been struck several times by bounce back, usually below the knee while shooting lead .38 Spl. and 9mm at close range at steel. (Under 10 yards) The targets were not hanging. :(

Last Edited:
If you're that concerned with splash back just shoot paper…..

Otherwise put on your eye protection, slant/hang your steel, give your balls a tug, and carry on.

Remember that once the steel target is damaged i.e. pockmarked, turn it around and use the other side or discard the target. Concave divots can cause unpredictable ricochet. Quality AR500+ steel is great stuff but can still be damaged especially if too thin for caliber and distance.

Remember that once the steel target is damaged i.e. pockmarked, turn it around and use the other side or discard the target. Concave divots can cause unpredictable ricochet. Quality AR500+ steel is great stuff but can still be damaged especially if too thin for caliber and distance.
Mine have "divots" and I'm still shooting them. Haven't had any issues yet.

Good point ^^^
If we have any new guys joining in, we'll have a safety meeting and discuss what ammo can and cannot be shot at the steel targets.

Key word is "yet", I'd rectify that if I were you. If not for you then for bystanders.
I'll continue to do what I'm doing. If I end up getting catching something that really does something then I may change my practice.

Last Edited:
If we have any new guys joining in, we'll have a safety meeting and discuss what ammo can and cannot be shot at the steel targets.

No steel birds shot!
(Ask me how I know)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany