JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's been in the works for over a year and PSA expects to start shipping US made steel cased ammo in 7.62 and 5.45 in 2023. That should be just about the time the next President lifts Brandon's ban on Russian arms and ammo.

I freaking love PSA.

They are dead set on arming the masses.

Buying up tooling, selling bulk at low prices!

That would be absolutely amazing if they get 7.62 back into the mainstream at dirt price levels again!

Even better if they get 5.45 going again at dirt cheap prices.

I freaking love PSA.

They are dead set on arming the masses.

Buying up tooling, selling bulk at low prices!

That would be absolutely amazing if they get 7.62 back into the mainstream at dirt price levels again!

Even better if they get 5.45 going again at dirt cheap prices.
7.62 is going to be fine, lots of companies outside or USSR make it, but if they start makeing 5.45 it will be awesome. Not just because they are making it, but because it may spur competition from other manufacturers as well.

Last Edited:
I applaud the options.

Although my questions is, what made steel cased ammo so cheap in the first place? Was it the cost of materials? Was it easier to produce in larger quantities? Was it the surplus amount of ammo made by cheap conscripted soviet labor?

I think it is safe to say that steel case ammo doesn't do anything better than brass...and has it's own set of drawbacks. It's primary advantage was cheap plinking/practice ammo. If Palmetto makes it in the states, will they be able to offer it at a similar price to the Russians? If the cost ends up being similar to brass cased ammo, why would one choose steel?

Last Edited:
I applaud the options.

Although my questions is, what made steel cased ammo so cheap in the first place? Was it the cost of materials? Was it easier to produce in larger quantities? Was is the surplus amount of ammo made by cheap conscripted soviet labor?

I think it is safe to say that steel case ammo doesn't do anything better than brass...and has it's own set of drawbacks. It's primary advantage was cheap plinking/practice ammo. If Palmetto makes it in the states, will they be able to offer it at a similar price to the Russians? If the cost ends up being similar to brass cased ammo, why would one choose steel?
Steel is a lot cheaper than brass. Significantly so.

If the PSA stuff ends up costing the same as brass ammo then nobody will buy it. But my guess is the steel will be way more affordable. PSA is now producing so many AK variants it makes sense for them to also sell the ammo and vertically integrate their business model.

I applaud the options.

Although my questions is, what made steel cased ammo so cheap in the first place? Was it the cost of materials? Was it easier to produce in larger quantities? Was it the surplus amount of ammo made by cheap conscripted soviet labor?

Run a magnet over the ground and you'll easily recover plenty of recyclable steel vs brass.

Aloha, Mark

Steel is a lot cheaper than brass. Significantly so.

If the PSA stuff ends up costing the same as cheaper brass stuff then nobody will buy it. But my guess is it will be affordable. PSA is now producing so many AK variants it makes sense to also sell the ammo.
I guess we will find out. It would be nice if they keep it affordable. Though I would consider paying a few cents more per round if they would use copper jacketing instead of steel jacketing on the bullet.

I applaud the options.

Even if it isn't $200 a case all the time, it will still be cheaper than the current market for existing ammo, specifically brass cased intermediate rifle cartridges like .233/5.56 and 7.62x39

5.45 is (hopefully) going to enjoy a mild resurgence in popularity.

Keep in mind that since PSA is manufacturing it removes one step where there is normally profit, so they will be able to sell very competitively. It's likely they will pressure other manufacturers to lower their wholesale prices.

Keep in mind that since PSA is manufacturing it removes one step where there is normally profit, so they will be able to sell very competitively. It's likely they will pressure other manufacturers to lower their wholesale prices.
As long as we're not paying brass prices for steel.

Doubt the next president will allow russian ammo. Remember norinco ammo. Still banned.

Also with PSA making steel cases. Guarantee they will lobby hard to ban all future ammo imports to protect American jobs.

7.62 is going to be fine, lots of companies outside or USSR make it, but if they start makeing 5.45 it will be awesome. Not just because they are making it, but because it may spur competition from other manufacturers as well.
I guess we will find out. It would be nice if they keep it affordable. Though I would consider paying a few cents more per round if they would use copper jacketing instead of steel jacketing on the bullet.
I don't think there was anybody making new production ammo using steel cased projectiles, at least not for import to the US. Palmetto may use steel core projectiles but I would really doubt the tried to cheap out and use a steel jacketed bullet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top