JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Same deal in the late '60s, we spooned crushed red pepper over everything! Probably saved us from paddy blight or some other horrible malady!
I've also had a lot of issues with my stomach over the years. I'm guessing that primitive 1943 preservatives might not be the best for you.
They've definitely improved over the years, but hot sauce is still worth is weight in gold. They've apparently figured out the nutrients, I haven't seen any real negatives aside from the frequent anal explosions and the bloating.

Don't get me wrong, they still suck. But they're much better than nothing.

You can live off beans, rice and coconut oil.

It would get old real quick but I'm pretty sure that would meet your nutritional needs without adding anything. All of that stuff stores forever and wouldn't be all that bad on the gut (I can not really eat beans much anymore so that's a negitive).

If your a die hard then start raising rabbits and eat them. Wouldn't take long to have a rotating system for non stop meat.

If your a die hard then start raising rabbits and eat them. Wouldn't take long to have a rotating system for non stop meat.

I raised rabbits in my younger days and they are one of the best protein sources there is. Great feed to weight conversion ratios,and space efficient. Cavies would be another, the Asians keep them for that. The smaller animals like that are handy, whack one a day or every other day and you are good. Keep a solid breeding program going and you are good.

Now if things went bad, these doves would be a good source as well. you could whack a couple a day and not make much of a difference. Put a little seed out and they flock to your place.

is?pXcUbpQQNkIwroyuR6Ig_5yI62ue8f4OElR09R0I9-0&height=255.jpg

You can live off beans, rice and coconut oil.

It would get old real quick but I'm pretty sure that would meet your nutritional needs without adding anything. All of that stuff stores forever and wouldn't be all that bad on the gut (I can not really eat beans much anymore so that's a negitive).

Scurvy lad.

Well, I did a diet of "C" rations, five days on and five days off, for 12 1/2 months. The off days I mostly ate home cooked Korean food in the Katusa snack bar, with breakfast in the mess hall. I generally didn't eat lunch. When it came to food, I went native like yesterday!
This was doing hard work, mostly outdoors in 112-115deg summer and a loooooooong -20-25deg winter. Sighhhhh, so efrn long! :(
I don't really know how this translates into results with modern survival grub, but I never felt like the "C's" let me down for stamina and energy. Ditto for a hearty mess hall breakfast and a Korean supper, consisting of, fried rice w/ a few vegetables, sliced cucumbers w/sea salt, and Bul Gogi, a BBQ beef dish that might be thought of as the national dish of Korea. Oh yeah, and a big bowl of Kim Chi, the actual national dish of Korea!
Wow! Really tired now and the brain is fading fast! I'll look at this tomorrow and see if I can add anything intelligent or perhaps, if there are any questions? :)
I once went 3 weeks on "C rations". Nothing but C's. In 2004, I went 2 weeks on MREs. At one point we ran low so it was only 2 MREs per day. That was while wearing all that battle rattle and going out on missions. After a while, we were all pretty hungry on just 2 MREs. I was none the worse for wear.

You mention a very important point - it will depend on your conditions and activity level. Those folks sitting back at the FOB in air conditioned buildings did not need much. In a normal situation, I can't finish a MRE by myself. While out in the badlands, I could eat an entire MRE and was still hungry.

Has anyone done a Supersize Me type experiment to see how it affected them physically and mentally? I'm not talking about a weekend camping trip, I mean like 30 days or more of eating pouches stored in buckets.
Care to share?
Yep, for a number of folks it was a tour of duty in SE Asia. That's when Mountain House came into existence. Over there they were known as LRRP rations and we're much enjoyed by Many because they were way above the WW-2 C-Rats that were still being issued. They didn't offer as many menus ad they do today but people lived quite well on them.

I ate C's regular for years, in early WW Vietnam even some marked 1944 but most were '52 and later. We had sundry packs at times that had real treats. Some items were really sought after. Fruit Cocktail comes to mind...well any fruit really. Some were avoided, like Ham & Eggs, Ham & Lima Beans ( Ham & M-----F-----s was the popular name) I liked both of those and would trade more popular for them and a few less liked "John Wayne' bars. Sometimes we would get some LRRP's. (LRRP Rations, my first experience with freeze dried) I survived. Later I ate the new MRE's the BLS kind (Before Long Spoon), then the LS (Long spoon, which had a minor but improved menu) then we went to stage 2 LS MRE's (Total menu change) the last and best tasting that I had. I rarely went more than a week on MRE's
Yes I think if you are expending energy these will work
Calorie counts from all these foods varied wildly from a high of 3300 to a low of 1800.
We could smell the enemy and they us due to dietary differences.

MRE's came out after I left the Marines. Compared to "C" rations, IMO, MRE's taste like a gourmet meal. But hey, with some Tobasco sauce added to the "C" rats they weren't too bad.

I raised rabbits in my younger days and they are one of the best protein sources there is. Great feed to weight conversion ratios,and space efficient. Cavies would be another, the Asians keep them for that. The smaller animals like that are handy, whack one a day or every other day and you are good. Keep a solid breeding program going and you are good.

Now if things went bad, these doves would be a good source as well. you could whack a couple a day and not make much of a difference. Put a little seed out and they flock to your place.

View attachment 384162

Rabbits do have the advantage of their waste being garden ready fertilizer as soon as it drops - if you garden.

View attachment 384162
There are doves all over around here. I'm told they're not native so no one minds if they get used for target practice. A few bunnies in the yard too but my wife and daughter would kill me if those ended up on a plate.

Prepper food is just another name for what they ate on the farm before electricity. MRE's and freeze dried kits are just a short term food supply best used when you are mobile or during short term emergencies. You should be storing what you eat and eating what you store. You can find good examples of long shelf life foods here: Shop Honeyville Online | Dried Food & Baking Ingredients | honeyville.com

Done correctly it will save you money as well as be prepared for significant interruptions to your food supply.

Don't forget to stock up on toilet paper and tampons

Prior to refrigeration people used other means to store meats like canning, curing, jerking, etc.. A simple smokehouse will get you a long way. Make sure you have canning equipment on hand and be ready to cook or can any refrigerated or frozen meats meats if the balloon goes up. Think about getting a decent grain mill and a juice/sausage press. Hand tools are a bonus as well, especially tools that will let you gather wood to keep warm and for cooking.

You will have to find some way to get along without prepared frozen foods that seem to be made mostly from ten syllable chemical compounds. Do yourself a favor and stop eating those before the earthquake/meteor strike/volcanic eruptions/zombies.

I'll add a little tid bid. I'm leaving my mid 30's and though I'm in my prime, I can clearly tell I don't handle the junk I used to eat when I was younger. An mre or a mountain house meal is not eating healthy. Even if we burn the fuel we consume, it's pretty important to maintain good heart health and blood flow. In my shtf supplies, I have olive leaf extract pills and jars of olive oil. Taking a shot of oil (it's gross...I know) not only acts as an ace inhibitor but helps break down blood clots trying to form. I recommend adding this to your stash. I can verify the stuff works as a few years ago I was exposed to a nasty air born enzyme that gives you blood clots. Worked like a charm. Unfortunately others who didn't listen to me are suffering long term issues. Also helps keep your stools moving along.

Anyway...adding these things to your diet, even on survival food will drastically improve how you feel.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top