JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone done a Supersize Me type experiment to see how it affected them physically and mentally? I'm not talking about a weekend camping trip, I mean like 30 days or more of eating pouches stored in buckets.
Care to share?

It seems to depend on which ones you eat. They either come out quick or not at all. Mostly though, they come out much quicker than you want them to. They're fine as a replacement in the field, like one a day, but if you eat nothing but Meals, Ready to Eject for more than a couple days you're not going to enjoy it.

IMG_20170814_175953.jpg military-humor-pain-in-mre-leaving-body.jpg m1YKRQ.jpg l-1171.jpg

The biggest issue with eating them day after day is all the salt that's used to make them last forever. After a week or so you'll be really uncomfortable. Bloating sucks.
As far as mentally, they do have the nutrition you need.
So they'll keep you alive just fine. But it's not fun.

Has anyone done a Supersize Me type experiment to see how it affected them physically and mentally? I'm not talking about a weekend camping trip, I mean like 30 days or more of eating pouches stored in buckets.
Care to share?
Good question, btw. I don't think most folks really think about it. They just store them up and figure they're gtg.

Also remember that both your energy output and stress levels would be markedly different in a situation where you had to eat them, as opposed to just want to do an experiment.

More realistic experiment would be to to try living off of them while doing an extended period of manual labor.

Kinda like the difference in using them for a weekend car camping trip, vs a week or monthlong backpack trip...

Over 2 weeks continuous Mountain House for dinner exclusively while hiking part of the PCT. Oatmeal in the am, Mt House in the evening and that was it. Felt better at the end than at the start.

I believe that my current #10 tin stocking scenario for the SHTF is a better and healthier option. I've stocked up on freeze dryed Strawberries, vegetables and other healthy choices (along with deserts) in addition to their pre-made entrees that I ate hiking.

Not the current gen of stuff but nitrogen packed prepper grains and such years ago as a kid as primary diet for a couple years. I did okay. I dislike certain foods to this day.

Well, I did a diet of "C" rations, five days on and five days off, for 12 1/2 months. The off days I mostly ate home cooked Korean food in the Katusa snack bar, with breakfast in the mess hall. I generally didn't eat lunch. When it came to food, I went native like yesterday!
This was doing hard work, mostly outdoors in 112-115deg summer and a loooooooong -20-25deg winter. Sighhhhh, so efrn long! :(
I don't really know how this translates into results with modern survival grub, but I never felt like the "C's" let me down for stamina and energy. Ditto for a hearty mess hall breakfast and a Korean supper, consisting of, fried rice w/ a few vegetables, sliced cucumbers w/sea salt, and Bul Gogi, a BBQ beef dish that might be thought of as the national dish of Korea. Oh yeah, and a big bowl of Kim Chi, the actual national dish of Korea!
Wow! Really tired now and the brain is fading fast! I'll look at this tomorrow and see if I can add anything intelligent or perhaps, if there are any questions? :)

Well, I did a diet of "C" rations, five days on and five days off, for 12 1/2 months. The off days I mostly ate home cooked Korean food in the Katusa snack bar, with breakfast in the mess hall. I generally didn't eat lunch. When it came to food, I went native like yesterday!
This was doing hard work, mostly outdoors in 112-115deg summer and a loooooooong -20-25deg winter. Sighhhhh, so efrn long! :(
I don't really know how this translates into results with modern survival grub, but I never felt like the "C's" let me down for stamina and energy. Ditto for a hearty mess hall breakfast and a Korean supper, consisting of, fried rice w/ a few vegetables, sliced cucumbers w/sea salt, and Bul Gogi, a BBQ beef dish that might be thought of as the national dish of Korea. Oh yeah, and a big bowl of Kim Chi, the actual national dish of Korea!
Wow! Really tired now and the brain is fading fast! I'll look at this tomorrow and see if I can add anything intelligent or perhaps, if there are any questions? :)

I like Kalbi Beef short ribs as well but they have a bone it it but oh so tasty. :)

The biggest issue with eating them day after day is all the salt that's used to make them last forever. After a week or so you'll be really uncomfortable. Bloating sucks.
As far as mentally, they do have the nutrition you need.
So they'll keep you alive just fine. But it's not fun.

My son ate MRE's for 3 weeks when they first were first forward deployed in Afghanistan in 2008. They were living in mud huts, crapping in the ditches, no showers or hot meals. Contact every day. They poured hot sauce over everything.

They finally started flying hot chow out to them every other day unless the rags started sh*t up when the helicopters came around. They finally got some infrastructure set up and started getting them rotated out every 3 days. Patrol 1 day, lay up for two to recover. They would lose 12 pounds of body weight on a patrol. At least they had decent chow when they were back.

He still has indigestion issues and takes a lot of anti acids. No matter what or how you prepare it, the amounts of preservatives in any of the survival foods is going to cause you trouble.

My son ate MRE's for 3 weeks when they first were first forward deployed in Afghanistan in 2008. They were living in mud huts, crapping in the ditches, no showers or hot meals. Contact every day. They poured hot sauce over everything.

They finally started flying hot chow out to them every other day unless the rags started sh*t up when the helicopters came around. They finally got some infrastructure set up and started getting them rotated out every 3 days. Patrol 1 day, lay up for two to recover. They would lose 12 pounds of body weight on a patrol. At least they had decent chow when they were back.

He still has indigestion issues and takes a lot of anti acids. No matter what or how you prepare it, the amounts of preservatives in any of the survival foods is going to cause you trouble.
Has a familiar ring to it.

Same deal in the late '60s, we spooned crushed red pepper over everything! Probably saved us from paddy blight, pucker bung or some other horrible malady!
I've also had a lot of issues with my stomach over the years. I'm guessing that primitive 1943 preservatives might not be the best for you.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top