JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Sure, perception is everything until the veil is shattered with the truth. Who says the crazy gun nuts went crazy? Bloomberg? The media? The government? Me? You?

This point when made always grinds my gears for the past couple of years now. The antis' minds are never going to change, we're all nuts in their minds. Always. See the "tea party are all racists, all the time" meme and the feminists "one free grope rule" for Slick Willies they support. Equality for some but not others. See the abortion rights are sacrosanct, "my body, my choice!" crowd who also support mandated government healthcare. For every "open carry folks made things worse in CA!" there are hundreds if not thousands of cases that justify not just open carry but concealed carry with no permit requirement.

This is an issue where you can't waffle around as you'll end up compromising your beliefs away for false peace/treasure/harmony. See the past 79 years since the NFA law. See children being suspended from school for gi joe toy doll-guns, toaster pastries, and drawings of guns. You can't change the perception if you're dancing to their tune.

You're right- "antis" are mostly a lost cause. At least, not worth our time. But it's not them we're worried about, it's the "NONS" we have to worry about. The other 80% of this country that can and does go either way, depending on how emotional they're feeling at the moment. THESE people think "we" are freaks for open-carrying, and it's THESE people we need to be convincing "we" are NOT.

I used to go there to get their pumpkin loaf. My wife learned how to make it better. I haven't been back. Starbucks has been doing fine not selling to me.

BTW Reggie. What are we supposed to do then in your opinion? Get the CHL or stay home?

Only you can solve your problems, my point is; why choose an option that creates ill will and bad press for ALL gun owners?
And what a sleazy cop out to lable me a part of your problem.
I have carried a concealed firearm since 1982 and never once has anyone known I was armed, hence no issues with the press or anti-gunners (if i have clothes on i have a gun, and even sometimes when i don't). Selfish people like you think you are being hurt when you get ridiculed for openly displaying a firearm, my method hurts noone and does not damage the image of gun owners, yours does. Now the likes of you and your big strapper open carry buds have turned a high profile, world wide business against firearm owners. Are you going to do anything to repair the damage you have been done?

Maybe I better clear a few things up.

First of all I have like almost 4,000 posts so I would think I would be Pro-firearm. I have not once been to an open carry rally,but I do support them. I have not once open carried into Starbucks. The time that I have been a member here at NWFA was to learn about firearms and which I did. I have posted for years about Constitutional rights, freedoms and rights opposed to a over barring government and for governmental employee accountability.

What I have and do see here is the CHL crowd seem to alienate the open carry crowd. I have tried to talk/debate/argue that the CHL permission is that, a permission not a right. Many CHL members here at NWFA have openly admitted that they disagree with themselves having to get the CHL permission and I am choosing to take a stand and not get the CHL. I also am not degrading the peoples right to open carry. Call me what you like and if it make you feel better put me into whatever crowd you like.

IMO, Starbucks is a great company, and did a great job on the gun thing.
Some of the Open Carry dudes abused this and ruined it for everyone.

Pushing customers and arguing with fellow patrons made us look like jackholes.

They are trying to slow the abuse that we (some gun owners) have brought on them.

The people that Starbucks is trying to get rid of arent the kind of reasonable people that we usually associate with.

Good for Starbucks for fighting as long as they did, but I can see how they came up with this decision.

BTW, I guess this guy is a idiot/butthead/ "we" freaks for open-carrying?????? http://www.northwestfirearms.com/ev...ee-starbucks-tomorrow-morning.html#post947718

"Tomorrow morning around 8AM I'll be enjoying a cup of coffee while open carrying at the Starbucks in Downtown St Johns."

Posted by Joey Link

PS. I hope you don't mind me quoting you Joey.

I'm not going to disrespect a man in his own house. So I'll simply refer you to my previous posts on the topic.

BTW... do you really think anyone is going to suddenly go, "oh! Well hell, Joe motherbubbleguming Link does it?? Then I totally change my position." Cheap attempt to shame people, is all this is.

I compare this to dogs. If you are walking your dog (Let's make it a Pit Bull... The AR15 of dogs) in a public park, you are going to encounter a reaction from the "cat people" (I call them something else) who fear the dog even though you have him on a leash and have every right to walk the dog in a public place. They just do not understand dogs and react in fear. The responsible dog owner recognizes this and seeks to have the dog perceived as friendly, obedient, and under control. Some dog people get a thrill out of this reaction and make no effort to change the cat people's perception. For them it isn't about the dog, it's about their gratification. If this is you, then you are a problem.
Do you intentionally walk your dog into a private business which asks you to leave your dog outside, or respect the proprietor's request?
I feel that as gun owners it on us to show responsibility and good judgement in exercising all of our Constitutional Rights.

I'm not going to disrespect a man in his own house. So I'll simply refer you to my previous posts on the topic.

BTW... do you really think anyone is going to suddenly go, "oh! Well hell, Joe motherbubbleguming Link does it?? Then I totally change my position." Cheap attempt to shame people, is all this is.

You shame enough by calling lots of people who open carry dumb.

I'm not going to disrespect a man in his own house.

You already did.

"THESE people think "we" are freaks for open-carrying, and it's THESE people we need to be convincing "we" are NOT."

"As I just posted on someone facebook post on this topic - pro-gun people and open-carry people are not the same. We're not the same group, we're not on the same team, we don't have the same objectives and we definitely disagree on effective methods. Don't throw me in with guys walking around with freaken ARs in Starbucks."

"OC if you want. As I've stated so many times in the past- I'm not in support of any kind of law that bans the practice. I just think it's not helpful, and that you have to be a little on the stupid/wacky/socially underdeveloped/etc side to want to do it in the first place."

Well, if I have been a jackazz then I apologize to NWFA and the whole pro-firearms community. But I still believe in what I have said/posted.
Just in case.....
I hope nobody in here thought my post was in response to anyone in this thread.
My post wasn't directed at anyone in this thread. I didn't actually read the thread. I've been so busy.
I just saw the title and posted my opinion.

I believe in Open Carry and support it.
There were reports in other parts of the country of rudeness and hostility by gun dudes when asked simple questions as to why they do it.
Instead of teaching, the questioners were blasted with abusive banter.

I would want these people out of my place of business as well.

I'm no longer a coffee drinker and even if I was, I would balk at spending $2.50 or more for a cup of joe (no matter what fancy Italian name you might decide to call it).

Nevertheless, I always kind of liked the way that Starbucks went against the flow and openly welcomed gun carriers onto their property. This has now changed for some reason, and while there is no corporate prohibition (yet) against armed customers, Starbucks made it plain today that we aren't welcome anymore.

While it doesn't affect me directly, I do hope that the gun community now shuns Starbucks and shops elsewhere for their morning shot of caffeine.

A coffee shop is a pretty weak guy to pick on.
Be honest... Do you boycott hospitals, your workplace, grocery stores who ask you not to carry?

I open carry to the grocery store all the time. Albertson's and Safeway have never bothered me other than to ask me what kind of gun I was carrying. I open carried to a CPR class last weekend. One of the women said she was uncomfortable about it and we talked about it. After the class she asked me for a card and inquired as to taking a gun-safety course.

I open carry virtually everywhere and have never had anyone be anything other than inquisitive or to politely say they were uncomfortable, which I view as an opportunity to be a good ambassador for gun rights. I've made more than a few converts. A POLITE, KIND explanation, combined with actually LISTENING to people, usually results in people no longer afraid of your O/C weapon.

That Starbucks has caved to the crazies isn't really surprising considering their urban base. But it IS disappointing and I won't be going there anymore.

A POLITE, KIND explanation, combined with actually LISTENING to people, usually results in people no longer afraid of your O/C weapon.

This is key: polite, kind and listen. I think that's why you hardly encounter negative responses, because of your attitude. Unfortunately, not everybody is as levelheaded as you are.

Actually I've had exactly that experience open carrying. More than once. I won't patronize anti-gun businesses if I have any choice. And if someone's irrational fear of my firearm is so intense that they ask me to leave, then I know how important I and my business are to them. I'll leave. An I won't ever come back.

I'm happy to engage anyone in a polite discussion. I have the facts at my command and they are all on "my" side. The antis you run into often change their mind when confronted politely by irrefutable numbers and sources. I don't need "cooked up" studies and fear to make my case. But that's all the antis have. Pop that misinformed bubble and people tend to change their tune unless they are just crazy on the issue. Those people are beyond convincing and immune to all fact and logic and argument. THOSE people, I have nothing but contempt for and I have no problem showing that contempt.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads