JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a slippery slope, the report states undocumented issues, which means that a physician had not diagnosed a previous issue that could have prevented a tragedy. This report could bring a push for psychological evaluations to buy our toys. Another thought is that the report did not mention documented issues, which is good and bad, as a visit to the psychiatrist for PTSD or a marriage disagreement could potentially bar your from purchases.
I had a mentally ill neighbor (schizo + bipolar) that had a firearm and the police/her handlers did not care in the least bit.

A legitimate concern I have is the attempt to argue that evil people do evil things simply as a result of "mental illness," it follows the predictable ideology that people aren't personally responsible for their actions, that something else made them do it. Or if they didn't have access to guns they wouldn't have done a violent act.

A legitimate concern I have is the attempt to argue that evil people do evil things simply as a result of "mental illness," it follows the predictable ideology that people aren't personally responsible for their actions, that something else made them do it. Or if they didn't have access to guns they wouldn't have done a violent act.
Or the fact that people who have a mental illness are dangerous just because they are ill. It is after all, a small subset of the mentally ill that are dangerous to the public.

The voices in my head say "hang him from the nearest sufficient tree and be done with it."

This is why I always sit in the last row of a movie theatre, with my back against the wall and a full view of the theatre…

I hear ya, we're running a 70", but there's nothing quite like a theatre, just a different experience…
That's what the wife says. To which I retort:

You're right, if I have to go to the bathroom, I can't pause the movie. If I missed a part or didn't hear something I can't rewind it. If there are obnoxious, smelly, or otherwise disruptive people in the audience I'm forced to endure them throughout the movie. I'm not allowed to bring all the food I want, or drinks, I can't lay down on the couch. I have to pay, again, to watch it multiple times. I have to travel to and from the location and deal with traffic each direction.

All those different experiences for about $40 compared to being at home on the TV that paid for itself after about 11 movie trips.

Not criticizing your enjoyment of the theatre, just sharing the banter we've had at my household on the subject.

That's what the wife says. To which I retort:

You're right, if I have to go to the bathroom, I can't pause the movie. If I missed a part or didn't hear something I can't rewind it. If there are obnoxious, smelly, or otherwise disruptive people in the audience I'm forced to endure them throughout the movie. I'm not allowed to bring all the food I want, or drinks, I can't lay down on the couch. I have to pay, again, to watch it multiple times. I have to travel to and from the location and deal with traffic each direction.

All those different experiences for about $40 compared to being at home on the TV that paid for itself after about 11 movie trips.

Not criticizing your enjoyment of the theatre, just sharing the banter we've had at my household on the subject.
All good arguments for staying away from the theatre. The cost, dealing with other people, distractions, et.al. Things to certainly think about.

Corona Movie theater
"The Forever Purge"
"Voices in my head..."

:s0125:

Honestly, I don't care if some one has schizophrenia or otherwise "not responsible for their actions" they pull this kind of stuff, I say eliminate them.

https://journals.lww.com/psychophar...ium=press&utm_campaign=jcp_violence_pr_060921

Domestic Mass Shooters

The Association With Unmedicated and Untreated Psychiatric Illness

Glick, Ira D. MD*; Cerfolio, Nina E. MD†; Kamis, Danielle MD‡; Laurence, Michael JD§ Domestic Mass Shooters, Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology: June 7, 2021 - Volume Publish Ahead of Print - Issue -
doi: 10.1097/JCP.0000000000001417

Twenty-eight of 35 cases in which the assailant survived had a psychiatric diagnosis—18 with schizophrenia, 3 with bipolar I disorders, 2 with delusional disorders, persecutory type, 2 with personality disorders (1 paranoid and 1 borderline), 2 with substance-related disorders without other psychiatric diagnoses, and 1 with posttraumatic stress disorder. Four had no psychiatric diagnosis, and in 3, we did not have enough information to make a diagnosis.

Of 15 of 20 cases in which the assailant died, 8 had schizophrenia. None of those diagnosed with psychiatric illnesses were treated with medication.

Conclusions

A significant proportion of mass shooters experienced unmedicated and untreated psychiatric disorder.

Copyright © 2021 Wolters Kluwer Health, Inc. All rights reserved.
You can goto the last link to download the PDF.
Well that's it, pre-crime time…. Call Tom cruise..

except there is already a due process to mentally adjudicate someone which prohibits them from guns.

The problem here is most of these cases the suspect has a history that probably already qualifies them, but at some point there will be people that dont have a history and there is no way to know they are about to flip out and society shut down mental institutions years ago in leiu of letting people medicate themselves and live in the population.... not working out so well.
"except there is already a due process to mentally adjudicate someone which prohibits them from guns."

Ah, but there are those who will gladly change the wording's within the standard to more easily deprive people of their Second Amendment rights.

I had a mentally ill neighbor (schizo + bipolar) that had a firearm and the police/her handlers did not care in the least bit.
Yup....."Red Flag" laws can be useful in some situations.

But...
IMHO, you need to go to court to get them. It's not good enough that a judge just signs off without a hearing. Same for those TROs (temp restraining orders).

Yup.....seen those abused too.

Imagine.......
If that neighbor filed a "Red Flag" request (or TRO) against YOU.

Yeah....
Without a hearing......who is the "crazy one"?

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR