JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"Primer Gouging" ? Just perusing Gun Broker this morning before getting to NWFA and decided to look at primers on GB. We've seen 1000ct bricks going from $150.00-$189.00, and maybe more. Now there are sellers selling 100 packs too, for what 1000bricks went for 9months ago. Almost doesn't seem so bad that way? But, shipping is $9.95 in this particular ad.....and before things went totally crazy.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/877086905 This particular sellers has only been of GB since late August.

I see no mention of "Haz-Mat" fees? Should Gun Broker care about facilitating illegal shipment of explosives through the mail? They probably have wording somewhere that relieves them of responsibilty. It'd be something to see these guys get stuck with their 1000s of primers and be forced to sell them only locally.:)

"Primer Gouging" ? Just perusing Gun Broker this morning before getting to NWFA and decided to look at primers on GB. We've seen 1000ct bricks going from $150.00-$189.00, and maybe more. Now there are sellers selling 100 packs too, for what 1000bricks went for 9months ago. Almost doesn't seem so bad that way? But, shipping is $9.95 in this particular ad.....and before things went totally crazy.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/877086905 This particular sellers has only been of GB since late August.

I see no mention of "Haz-Mat" fees? Should Gun Broker care about facilitating illegal shipment of explosives through the mail? They probably have wording somewhere that relieves them of responsibilty. It'd be something to see these guys get stuck with their 1000s of primers and be forced to sell them only locally.:)
Gunbroker etc is at risk. With the right enemy they could be targeted like backpage was and go the way of the dinos. Armslist has also been targeted but has survived so far.

I bought some powder from a seller on GB. She had a lot of stuff for sale and feedback was in the 4 digits (all positive). I didn't hesitate to buy from her.

Upon receiving my order, nothing on the pkg showed any if the Hazmat stickers. I went to great lengths to talk to her about via text, and there was no doubt in my mind she knew about Hazmat, and was very knowledgeable on the subject. She even said she was Hazmat certified. That didn't explain why she sent the pkg in regular shipment with no indication of the Hazmat items therein. I called her on her BS.

I also gave her first negative feedback rating, too. She not only puts herself at risk, but she puts me at risk of a massive headache with the authorities should something happen during shipment.

Why can't we make our own primers? Its just three components, cup, anvil, and powder. If a die manufacturer could make a specialty die to seat the anvil to the cup then they could sell and ship cup and anvil with no hazmat and sell the powder locally.

Too dangerous?

I bought some powder from a seller on GB. She had a lot of stuff for sale and feedback was in the 4 digits (all positive). I didn't hesitate to buy from her.

...snip...

I also gave her first negative feedback rating, too. She not only puts herself at risk, but she puts me at risk of a massive headache with the authorities should something happen during shipment.

whilst it would be a massive headache- any and all liability would be on her. Even if she had emails from you begging her to NOT put stickers on, it's her responsibility as the shipper to package it appropriately .

Why can't we make our own primers? Its just three components, cup, anvil, and powder. If a die manufacturer could make a specialty die to seat the anvil to the cup then they could sell and ship cup and anvil with no hazmat and sell the powder locally.

Too dangerous?
Someone could tool up to do that. Shipping of the priming compound would still be an explosive. Not to mention the liability of it since someone would of course get hurt no matter how many instructions they included. Add to that the pipe line will fill again, and primers will sit on shelves with no one interested. At that point no one would by the kit to make them and the Co would be out a LOT of money. This is called panic buying. If there was really a market for primers at the rate they sell today the people making them would build a new plant. The reason they do not it it takes a LONG time selling the product to recoup the outlay. That will not happen. The pipe line would fill, no one would buy, Co would then have to close the new plant, lay off the workers, and best of all keep paying taxes on the machinery that was sitting idle. Price of primers, and ammo will only stay were it is as long as people are willing to pay. When they stop, price goes back, people ignore it. Before this last panic started some on line places were selling primers with no Haz-Mat fee to get buyers. This means they were willing to eat the cost to make the sales. Now the same people who ignored those all scream for more. :s0092:

Too dangerous?
Shhhh. You are going to cause a run on strike anywhere matches. Shame on you!!! :D

Too dangerous?

To start with while you are right there are three components to a BOXER primer . You are wrong about one of them being powder.

chemical compound is a fulminate compound and it is mixed wet then applied to the cups where it dries. It's actually pretty dangerous stuff. Having said that yes people have reactivated spent primers using strike anywhere matches but its not as effective as factory made primers.

Mercury based primers are kind of a thing of the past, but yet so are chlorate primers. I have had two 209 primers explode at once about 30 years ago reloading and it is not something to be messing with. Trust me.

To start with while you are right there are three components to a BOXER primer . You are wrong about one of them being powder.

chemical compound is a fulminate compound and it is mixed wet then applied to the cups where it dries. It's actually pretty dangerous stuff. Having said that yes people have reactivated spent primers using strike anywhere matches but its not as effective as factory made primers.
And the match heads are corrosive according to what I've read.

You bet they are. Just like the surplus ammo that goes bang 100 years later. Hmm wonder why the new primers have a shorter shelf life?

I guess it depends on your definition of short.. I have primers I personally purchased new 30 years ago and they all go bang... I have primers I purchased 20, 15 , 10 and 3 months ago ... All seem to go bang.

This is not the first time I've heard people say something similar, but it has not mirrored my actual observations and experience.

I guess it depends on your definition of short.. I have primers I personally purchased new 30 years ago and they all go bang... I have primers I purchased 20, 15 , 10 and 3 months ago ... All seem to go bang.

This is not the first time I've heard people say something similar, but it has not mirrored my actual observations and experience.
I know me too. 5-30 year old work fine. I just wondered if anyone had heard that. Kinda like the new batteries that spew everywhere because they changed the recipe.

I know me too. 5-30 year old work fine. I just wondered if anyone had heard that. Kinda like the new batteries that spew everywhere because they changed the recipe.

I am not a chemistry major by any stretch but I am imagining it would be nigh on impossible for them to create a priming compound that would degrade in such a fashion as to be useless for the consumer after a specified amount of time .

I will say this the failed Remington Etron X rifles had the potential to make your ammo useless if you did not have an electrical charge to detonate the cartridge assuming your gun's batteries were dead.

I remember that idea pretty well, and it was not even a new idea . The 20mm cannon that are used on fighters actually use the same principle ...

The components for priming compound when separated are inert and shippable:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads