JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The trick IS to chuck up the cutter and feed the case onto it, as opposed to what Lee says which is to feed the CUTTER onto the chucked up case.
When do you chamfer and deburr? I'm open to any change in technique that will save time and effort. At present, with the Lee set-up I chuck the shell holder into the drill, cut the case back, then while the case is still thus, I chamfer and deburr with the little rocket ship-shaped tool, I don't have a 3 way.

I've found the Lee set-up used with a cordless drill to be relatively quick, definitely cost effective. For years, I had a Hornady (old Pacific legacy style) trimming tool. Hand crank, it took some time to use.

One tip, get the case rotating before you insert the cutter/mandrel.

I also have the World's Cheapest Trimmers for .223 Rem. and .308 Win. They cost about $20 each, very fast to use. You have to watch and make sure they don't get out of adjustment, you can wind up with many over-trimmed cases in a hurry. The WCT trims only, you have to come around again for the deburring /chamfering.

I have the Lyman and have been happy with it. Its accurate and repeatable. I didn't get the powered version, but did get the basic one with the carbide cutter. I think the powered version all you need is to chuck it up to your hand drill.... but you can buy the drill shaft separately later if you wanted. The lyman has a universal shell holder thats super fast and easy to set.
Can recommend.

View attachment 1284370
Similar setup I have with the drill but I've got a Hornady trimmer that I use for trimming and cam.

My latest machine to trim brass.....

Mind you that......there many ways to get the same job done. Some are expensive or cheaper....not to mention that, some are slower or faster. And....don't forget about the "work out" you'll get.

And, the same advice goes for......how you chose to remove a "military primer pocket crimp".

It's up to you.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I used a Forster hand trimmer for years, but for volume processing of .223 brass, I think you might like one of these. I picked one up a couple years ago and have trimmed thousands of .223 cases. It is capable of trimming any bottle necked case, but doesn't work for straight wall cases.
@PiratePast40
Come by and try mine. Seeing ease is believing.
(We've met pre-pandemic at ARPC speed steel IIRC)

Sell it Johnny, SELL IT! :D
Mikej, it's like you know me. Nothing is off the table. Of course this would not go cheap and I would replace it immediately.
I have tried alot of systems and I have alot still.
I think I have 4 rcbs trimmers in various configurations and should sell some of those.
I have a Gracey that I thought was going to be the bomb. Anything hand held, either end, doesn't matter, is out for me. My hands only have so much life left in them. On top of the rt1200 makes trimming fun while you are sizing. Yes it's expensive but at this point in my life saying wear and tear on my hands and the ability to keep reloading and preventing the potential medical procedures is worth it's weight in gold.
Haven't used it for 30.06 but I have the trim die.
Hope to see you tomorrow at the Oregon Arms Collectors show.
Third Sunday this month due to a conflict with Christmas on the 4th Sunday.

Dillon RT1200 of 1500 and throw it in the stainless pins to chamfer and deburr.
My hands can't take holding on to 1,000s of things 1,000s of times.
It makes trimming fun!
The $400+ bucks for the RT1500/RT1200 is the only thing that keeps me using the WFT. I have an undercut toolhead, so it's just getting the RT1500 and a good shopvac.

Mikej, it's like you know me. Nothing is off the table. Of course this would not go cheap and I would replace it immediately.
I have tried alot of systems and I have alot still.
I think I have 4 rcbs trimmers in various configurations and should sell some of those.
I have a Gracey that I thought was going to be the bomb. Anything hand held, either end, doesn't matter, is out for me. My hands only have so much life left in them. On top of the rt1200 makes trimming fun while you are sizing. Yes it's expensive but at this point in my life saying wear and tear on my hands and the ability to keep reloading and preventing the potential medical procedures is worth it's weight in gold.
Haven't used it for 30.06 but I have the trim die.
Hope to see you tomorrow at the Oregon Arms Collectors show.
Third Sunday this month due to a conflict with Christmas on the 4th Sunday.
I wasn't suggesting you sell YOUR trimmer. Your selling "Dillon"! And stainless pins/chips to clean brass.

Trimming right on the press! Who'd a thunk it. I'm imPRESSED! :s0140:

I WILL see you tomorrow. That show is the only excitement I get anymore.

The $400+ bucks for the RT1500/RT1200 is the only thing that keeps me using the WFT. I have an undercut toolhead, so it's just getting the RT1500 and a good shopvac.
Don't forget the 80 bucks or so for each trim die that goes with it.
For me anymore, a small price to pay to keep my hands working.
Didn't worry about it when I was young but wish I did.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top