JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
2 notifications came in today, Federal 210 and CCI LR primers at Midsouthshooterssupply. Both are on my list cause thats what I thought I had.... and wanted to get way ahead of the primer crunch. The Federals were sold out instantly, but I was able to grab a brick of the CCIs.
The problem is, when I got home I checked my supply of CCI primers and they are the BR2. The brick I [impulse] bought today are their #200.

Most brands have a heiarchy in quality in the same product. So where does the #200 fit in regards to the BR2's? Im guessing the BR2's stand for "benchrest" which lends me to think they are more... consistent, and higher quality? Then there are the Magnum LR primers Id like to try when available.

For CCIs Large Rifle primer lineup, whats the order of quality or usage?

My guess:
#200, lowest quality, general use
Magnum: medium quality or faster burning, hotter loads, higher velocity... IDK school me what magnums are for?
BR2: do these stand for "benchrest" and are they therefore the most consistent or highest quality primer?

They go "bang" I have loaded CCI primers since the 70s. Never had a failure. The BR is a high QC speciality primer. Are you shooting competition?
nope, not competition but I scored some BR2s a year ago got lucky and bought them. My usage is hunting, (not that I dont want as much accuracy as I can get. )
Im guessing... obviously, I cant mix the BR2s with the #200s so Im just trying to figure out which ones I want to favor when I start using them for my next handload.

2 notifications came in today, Federal 210 and CCI LR primers at Midsouthshooterssupply. Both are on my list cause thats what I thought I had.... and wanted to get way ahead of the primer crunch. The Federals were sold out instantly, but I was able to grab a brick of the CCIs.
The problem is, when I got home I checked my supply of CCI primers and they are the BR2. The brick I [impulse] bought today are their #200.

Most brands have a heiarchy in quality in the same product. So where does the #200 fit in regards to the BR2's? Im guessing the BR2's stand for "benchrest" which lends me to think they are more... consistent, and higher quality? Then there are the Magnum LR primers Id like to try when available.

For CCIs Large Rifle primer lineup, whats the order of quality or usage?
BR is just CCIs version of match primers like Federals match or Remington BR primers.
Also I've got some LRMP I can trade you for the LRP if you need some LRMP.
As for order it depends, I list it as LRP, BR, #34 and LRMP.

whats a #34 and where does the #200s fit in?

(it sounds like Im close in guessing the "hierarchy" of CCI primers. )
#34 is the mil-spec caps for Large Primers like #41 is for Small Rifle. They have thicker caps to help prevent mis-fires or slam fires. #200 are just standard LR primers. So I order it as LRP, #34, BR and LRMP, I base the order on usage but BR could be used for both but there are match LRMP as well that Federal has.

#34 is the mil-spec caps for Large Primers like #41 is for Small Rifle.
mil spec like #34 for the 308 and #42 is for the 5.56?

BTW, Id consider trading but Im deciding if I want to use these #200s in another handload recipe but to replace the Federal 210s I was using there which I have the least of.

mil spec like #34 for the 308 and #42 is for the 5.56?

BTW, Id consider trading but Im deciding if I want to use these #200s in another handload recipe but to replace the Federal 210s I was using there which I have the least of.
Yeah, #34s are normally used for 7.62x51(308win) and #41s for 5.56x45(223 Rem). I've got fed 215s, standard and match if that helps you out.

BR stands for bench rest. They are made only by people with the most experience creating primers IE theoretically more consistent.

Usually the benchrest and match grade primers have thicker cups so you can push them harder (faster) without piercing the cup. This is a trick I've used for years in order to be able to push my loads faster without doing damage to the firing pin or bolt face. Military grade primers also have thicker cups to help avoid slam fires (though I've never had one firing thousands of CCI 400s in an AR.)

That said, some of the most accurate loads I've created (both group size and ES) have been with NON-match grade primers.

Hope this helps.
DizzyJ

Usually the benchrest and match grade primers have thicker cups so you can push them harder (faster) without piercing the cup. This is a trick I've used for years in order to be able to push my loads faster without doing damage to the firing pin or bolt face.
When you mean "faster" do you mean to produce faster velocities?

I think this is the question Im after. If you were to develope a handload for your favorite hunting rifle, hoping for the fastest most accurate handload possible.... would you choose CCI BR2 (Benchrest) or #200 (standard) LR primers?

That really kind of depends on the person and type of cartridge you're loading. For me I use LRMP for 300WM & 30-06 and LRP for my 308. I've used a little of each and haven't noticed any difference when using them in my 308.

That really kind of depends on the person and type of cartridge you're loading. For me I use LRMP for 300WM & 30-06 and LRP for my 308. I've used a little of each and haven't noticed any difference when using them in my 308.
Im gaining experience but still fairly new to reloading. The problem has been the ammo crunch, now... the primer crunch... has limited me to only a smaller supply of Fed210s (and CCI BR4s for my 223). So I have only worked with 2 primers so far...
I havent even touched my supply of BR2s.... yet, while I wait on a new rifle barrel. While the rifle barrel is another story Im thinking its not that bad I scored another primer option. A brick of 1000 #200s isnt a bad thing...

I think this is the question Im after. If you were to develope a handload for your favorite hunting rifle, hoping for the fastest most accurate handload possible.... would you choose CCI BR2 (Benchrest) or #200 (standard) LR primers?
For magnum loads which are usually high pressure you want the magnum primers the books usually state if they are needed, usually for compressed loads. The magnum primers are a thicker material to withstand the pressure and not blow out. The benchrests are usually for just that benchrest shooters working up loads for consistency but also the higher end of the load spectrum. Standard primers do just fine for most applications it really depends on the powder you are using as well as the amount. The 41's and 34's are for military rounds or lets say AR's, AK's, and such, they are also thicker to avoid a slam/chain fire (good to always use a case gauge also) and less likely to go pop if you crimp them. My favorite deer/coyote load is .243 with 55gr ballistic tips using 44gr of 4064 and standard CCI LRP real close to 4,000fps and very consistent. Pretty much a max load for all the reloading company lawyers and havnt found a need to push it further.

For magnum loads which are usually high pressure you want the magnum primers the books usually state if they are needed, usually for compressed loads.
Ive read that some people use magnum primers in non-magum calibers to gain a slightly faster velocities.

I have notifications set for some magnum primers ( should they arrive) for this reason, is it worth it?

Ive read that some people use magnum primers in non-magum calibers to gain a slightly faster velocities.

I have notifications set for some magnum primers ( should they arrive) for this reason, is it worth it?
Read the book to see if anything you may load for has loads that require them in any powder that you may use, otherwise only use them if that's all you can get. They dont give enough if any of a difference in velocity.

Edit: I have used standard primers on 223 loads that stated to use magnums and never have had an issue but as always YMMV.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top