JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Really as far as I've noticed the different brands haven't made a difference in my loads. But that being said, everyone seems to have their preferred makers they use and/or like.

Magnum primers are better for magnum and slow burn powders since the burn hotter and have a little more primer mix in them.
so they give an "edge" to the slower burning powders... ?
(like if your going to load for a heavier "magnum" projectile you want a slower powder....?)

so they give an "edge" to the slower burning powders... ?
(like if your going to load for a heavier "magnum" projectile you want a slower powder....?)
No, bullet weight doesn't make it a magnum. It's based off of the cases and caliber of the firearm.
Magnum powders and slow burn powders tend to use magnum primers to ensure a proper burn and ignition.

No, bullet weight doesn't make it a magnum. It's based off of the cases and caliber of the firearm.
Magnum powders and slow burn powders tend to use magnum primers to ensure a proper burn and ignition.
I will defer to published handload data before I experiment.

Ive heard of using magnum primers in non magnum calibers but now Im cautious....

I will defer to published handload data before I experiment.

Ive heard of using magnum primers in non magnum calibers but now Im cautious....
I've always used this rule: for Small Primers reduce by 0.1gr to 0.3gr when using magnum in non-magnum loads and for Large Primers reduce by 0.3gr to 0.5gr when using magnum in non-magnum loads.

I think this is the question Im after. If you were to develope a handload for your favorite hunting rifle, hoping for the fastest most accurate handload possible.... would you choose CCI BR2 (Benchrest) or #200 (standard) LR primers?
Faster and more accurate are often not synonymous. You'll probably have to choose a slower velocity to get the best accuracy. Not always, but most of the time.

That's a question only you can answer with testing of your components and testing platform. For hunting it's a toss up. A heart or lung shot is generally a lot more generous sized target at the (ethical) ranges you'll be engaging them at.

For long range, speed can be your friend in terms of distance, drop and wind drift, but you also don't want to sacrifice accuracy for long range precision.

The right answer for you may not be the right answer for someone else. Pick an acceptable accuracy for the job at hand and then push the velocity until you either see pressure signs or fall outside of the acceptable accuracy envelope.

so basically if your using non-magnum primers and your only pressure sign is a pierced primer then back off ~0.5g and use a magnum primer and you should get the velocity you want, safely.... ?

The right answer for you may not be the right answer for someone else. Pick an acceptable accuracy for the job at hand and then push the velocity until you either see pressure signs or fall outside of the acceptable accuracy envelope.
this is what Ive concluded on my own reading articles, and forums advice... its taken a while to piece together but this is what Ive gathers its about for me. I appreciate this reply...

Ive read that some people use magnum primers in non-magum calibers to gain a slightly faster velocities.
I don't know of any scientific proof that this happens consistently. You can add more powder in a case using a magnum primer (often times) in order to push the pressures (velocity) higher, but a magnum primer in and of itself is not going to guarantee a faster velocity. It can actually cause velocity to drop in some instances.

I don't know of any scientific proof that this happens consistently.
noted.
I may have jumped to conclusions there based on discussions in other forums. It seems now like the use of magnum primers in non magnum calibers is just random experimentation that works for the individual and not a hard fast rule. I dunno....

noted.
I may have jumped to conclusions there based on discussions in other forums. It seems now like the use of magnum primers in non magnum calibers is just random experimentation that works for the individual and not a hard fast rule. I dunno....
Many people think you'll automatically get increased velocity from just swapping out to a magnum primer. It's not that simple or consistent.

Many people think you'll automatically get increased velocity from just swapping out to a magnum primer. It's not that simple or consistent.
then thats probably where I got that impression from. I will keep your advice in mind, maybe even save my money for more of the primers I have than spend time experimenting. Not certain I need magnum primers now.

noted.
Magnums give a higher, hotter and faster burn than standards. With non magnum powders they will burn the powder a little faster than normal, which I think is where some people got the impression that it gives more speed but it doesn't in my experience.

then thats probably where I got that impression from. I will keep your advice in mind, maybe even save my money for more of the primers I have than spend time experimenting. Not certain I need magnum primers now.
There not bad to have, especially if you want to use a magnum type powder in a non-magnum round.

There not bad to have, especially if you want to use a magnum type powder in a non-magnum round.
Interesting, I actually have some magnum powder I was using in a non magnum caliber.
At some point this might come down to how much time or patience I have to experiment. There seems to be an endless rabbit hole of options to go down handloading.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top