JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting, I actually have some magnum powder I was using in a non magnum caliber.
At some point this might come down to how much time or patience I have to experiment. There seems to be an endless rabbit hole of options to go down handloading.
That is half the fun, isn't it?
If you switched to magnum primers I think the only thing you'd notice is a little faster, smoother and/or cleaner burn with a small or tiny increase to fps and/or psi maybe.

That is half the fun, isn't it?
kind of... I just want a hunting load then to just use that the rest of my life. But then there is always that "what if I try...." :p
If you switched to magnum primers I think the only thing you'd notice is a little faster, smoother and/or cleaner burn with a small or tiny increase to fps and/or psi maybe.
I dont know how I would know if it was faster or smoother. I developed a hunting load for my deer rifle this year that Im happy with but others (in another forum ) were getting 100fps faster than mine using magnum primers.

Im not really worried about it but if I see some on sale its tempting to buy some just cause primers are otherwise still non existant.

I think it just depends the rifle and load. My 300 prc with 200gr cutting edge lazers i had about a 12 fps increase, improved ES and accuracy by switching from fed 215's to BR2's. Even tho i read lots of people online saying that mag primers should work better for that cartridge, you just dont know until you try it

kind of... I just want a hunting load then to just use that the rest of my life. But then there is always that "what if I try...." :p
I'll admit I've got a few loads worked up for my hunting rounds that I've been thinking of tweaking a little.
I dont know how I would know if it was faster or smoother. I developed a hunting load for my deer rifle this year that Im happy with but others (in another forum ) were getting 100fps faster than mine using magnum primers.

Im not really worried about it but if I see some on sale its tempting to buy some just cause primers are otherwise still non existant.
If the powder isn't burning to its full potential than it will leave behind more residue. This could also be the reason that your not getting the same results. A smoother burn is just a way of saying it creates a more uniform or consistent burn because of the higher temp.
Slow burn powders tend to like hotter burn primers in my experience (experiences may vary).
My trade offer still remains if you want to give it a try.

Hey I actually have a ton of br2's, so if you are running out and need a brick then i could sell you one

The executive summary of primers is they are a key component of a load and generally require testing before swapping out.
You probably can get away with CCI-400 to BR4 or CCI-200 to BR2 swaps but outside of those, it's really a good idea to test and measure velocity.

Most of my experience is with competition reloading where I am focused on consistency so 20 shots for record along with sighters resulting in a sub MOA group at 600 yards. For varmint hunting I'll test a heck of a lot less and enjoy shooting rimfire as much as possible.

For accuracy, I'll test with a known load and try to limit variables to one. Bullet & Primer will be what I used last time, while powder charge and seating depth will get tested. Whenever I tested a known load with different primer, I always saw velocity differences sometimes not expected either. For instance when testing a 6.5CM load using N555 and Berger 153.5 LRHT seated .030 (ish) off the lands, I shot groups with CCi450 (small rifle magnum) and BR4 (small rifle benchrest). The BR4 loads were about 25 FPS faster than the CCI 450. My velocities are at the higher end from 2770 to 2820 as N555 has some extra juice. It is also important to note that changing the powder would affect the results.

So why would the non magnum primer contribute to faster velocities? Care to dive into pressure curves and other ignition variables? I'll concede here.
Good news is that if you test enough and take time to log your data, you will have empirical data that doesn't always need a scientific explanation.

Supposedly quick load and other ignition variable programs can help with the math however I have seen that it takes very thorough calibration with your powder lots for the data to start to match your empirical results. Now if I was needing to get started on a load without any data, obviously the load programs have value especially if you have taken the time to tune them.

What cartridge(s) are you loading? Which powders are you using? That would help determine what may be the preferred primers to use.
I will be loading for my 25-06AI and there is also a good chance I will buy a 280AI in the next few months I will load for that as well. The powders I have in stock are IMR4831 and Ramshot Magnum.

2 notifications came in today, Federal 210 and CCI LR primers at Midsouthshooterssupply. Both are on my list cause thats what I thought I had.... and wanted to get way ahead of the primer crunch. The Federals were sold out instantly, but I was able to grab a brick of the CCIs.
The problem is, when I got home I checked my supply of CCI primers and they are the BR2. The brick I [impulse] bought today are their #200.

Most brands have a heiarchy in quality in the same product. So where does the #200 fit in regards to the BR2's? Im guessing the BR2's stand for "benchrest" which lends me to think they are more... consistent, and higher quality? Then there are the Magnum LR primers Id like to try when available.

For CCIs Large Rifle primer lineup, whats the order of quality or usage?
If I'm not mistaken the 200's are "regular" or "standard" primers. They put "200" on there just to f with the world.

I will be loading for my 25-06AI and there is also a good chance I will buy a 280AI in the next few months I will load for that as well. The powders I have in stock are IMR4831 and Ramshot Magnum.
As others have commented, the CCI-200 is interchangeable with the BR-2. I have used both over the years, mostly with extruded powders (like IMR-4831) in cartridges from .243 Win through 30-06. If you are working with Ramshot Magnum, I would recommend trying a magnum primer (CCI-250, Remington 9 1/2M, Federal 215 or Win LRM). Ball powders pack densely and frequently benefit from the slightly hotter longer ignition of the magnum primer. The extruded powders don't pack as dense allowing more air space between kernels and ignite easier. This is especially true in very cold temperatures, where even slow burning extruded powders can benefit from a magnum primer. If you only shoot/hunt in warm weather, you can try the standard primers as they might even give you better groups. The truth is the only way to know for sure is to experiment with the various primers and loads, since what someone else's 25-06 AI might like a standard primer where yours prefers a magnum one.
Years ago I tested my then new .270 WSM with various primers. Common knowledge suggested that it being a magnum cartridge with powder charges exceeding 65 grains, a magnum primer was recommended. I tried CCI-200's,BR-2's, and 250's, Winchester standard and Magnum, Remington 9 1/2 and 9 1/2M, Federal 210, 210M and 215. In that rifle, shooting groups at 100 yards off the bench, the winner was Federal 210 standard. Not a magnum primer and not the "Bench Rest Match" Federals or CCI, just the Federal standard large rifle primer. (Just to clarify, this was back when primers could be had for less than $20 a brick, so yeah, I have been at it a while). Be sure to post what works out best for you. It might save someone else some time and expense if their rifle just so happens to prefer what yours does.

Ball powders pack densely and frequently benefit from the slightly hotter longer ignition of the magnum primer. The extruded powders don't pack as dense allowing more air space between kernels and ignite easier. This is especially true in very cold temperatures, where even slow burning extruded powders can benefit from a magnum primer. If you only shoot/hunt in warm weather, you can try the standard primers as they might even give you better groups.
lots of good info to note in your whole comment. I mostly hunt in cold nasty weather (with the exception of the first half of deer season this year has been miserably hot).
I still need to score a brick of magnum primers until then Im stuck with my supply of CCI BR2s and the 200s when they arrive next week.

Note: for those gracious offers to trade primers I think for now I will hold onto what I have to experiment with. Once I have developed a handload I will consider selling or trading the rest of the primers I dont end up using.

If you are an Average Joe shooter, in times of scarcity you might think about adjusting to the components used. In this case, the primer being the scarcest item, adjust your other components to the primers you are able to buy. E.g., if you cannot find a primer with a thick cup, don't load your charge to the max.

If you are an Average Joe shooter, in times of scarcity you might think about adjusting to the components used. In this case, the primer being the scarcest item, adjust your other components to the primers you are able to buy. E.g., if you cannot find a primer with a thick cup, don't load your charge to the max.
I have... at least to the best of my limited handloading experience... Ive developed 2 hunting loads for my 2 other rifles that Im falling back on this year for hunting. Ive filled a doe tag on my first handload developed and proud... using only the 1 primer and 1 powder option available I had earlier this year for that rifle.

I have... at least to the best of my limited handloading experience... Ive developed 2 hunting loads for my 2 other rifles that Im falling back on this year for hunting. Ive filled a doe tag on my first handload developed and proud... using only the 1 primer and 1 powder option available I had earlier this year for that rifle.
Congrats on getting the tag. If you're interested I did a count and I've got some extra packs of GM215M and CCI #250 if you want to give them a try some time.

If I'm not mistaken the 200's are "regular" or "standard" primers. They put "200" on there just to f with the world.
agree, at first it seems they named their LR primers randomly but I see now the 200s are regular, the 250s are "magnums" and the BR2s are their "benchrest" primers.

apparently theirs no quality hierarchy but rather a usage hierarchy.

Congrats on getting the tag. If you're interested I did a count and I've got some extra packs of GM215M and CCI #250 if you want to give them a try some time.
Ive got notifications on several web stores for magnum primers but will probably start with this new brick of 200s when they arrive and my hunch is they will do fine.

but Im very grateful for your offers, has not gone unnoticed.

Well I got another notification this morning, this time from MidwayUSA. BR2 LRPs in stock.

as of -right now- still in stock.

go get em...

Its good to see some primers hitting the stores, a positive sign.

(im heading out of town so not certain I will be able to respond to this thread much till next week)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top