JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wasn't suggesting you sell YOUR trimmer. Your selling "Dillon"! And stainless pins/chips to clean brass.

Trimming right on the press! Who'd a thunk it. I'm imPRESSED! :s0140:

I WILL see you tomorrow. That show is the only excitement I get anymore.
Well, selling what works and keeps me working and reloading. Cause reloading is a lot of work. The old adage. What's the difference between work and a hobby? You enjoy your hobby. Still wears out your hands at a million plus procedures. New dog, old tricks. Got into reloading cause I was cheap. Now I have to pay to keep doing it. And I'm afraid there is no end to what I will pay to keep doing it? Like giving up a weekend day for the 4th weekend in a row doing a table at a show. Again, the difference between work and a hobby. In reality, the shows are definitely a social outing for me and a lot of other people. I mean for example, would Mikej drive all the way over to Vancouver just to see me? By the way, if you ever want to see the Dillon Trimmer at work just let me know and we can set up a time and come on over. I think we are long ago beyond meeting at Fred Meyer.
Addiction? Maybe.

Well, selling what works and keeps me working and reloading. Cause reloading is a lot of work. The old adage. What's the difference between work and a hobby? You enjoy your hobby. Still wears out your hands at a million plus procedures. New dog, old tricks. Got into reloading cause I was cheap. Now I have to pay to keep doing it. And I'm afraid there is no end to what I will pay to keep doing it? Like giving up a weekend day for the 4th weekend in a row doing a table at a show. Again, the difference between work and a hobby. In reality, the shows are definitely a social outing for me and a lot of other people. I mean for example, would Mikej drive all the way over to Vancouver just to see me? By the way, if you ever want to see the Dillon Trimmer at work just let me know and we can set up a time and come on over. I think we are long ago beyond meeting at Fred Meyer.
Addiction? Maybe.
I realized not too long after starting loading our own that I didn't really start it to save money.

Those hands going bad is a bummer. I've got arthritis in both wrists. Still have to keep them moving though. I get a shot in each about once a year. Doing the reloading with our hand issues really makes you realize how much you work those wrists must have been doing during your life!

I realized not too long after starting loading our own that I didn't really start it to save money.

Those hands going bad is a bummer. I've got arthritis in both wrists. Still have to keep them moving though. I get a shot in each about once a year. Doing the reloading with our hand issues really makes you realize how much you work those wrists must have been doing during your life!
Makes my back hurt which it does anyway so I guess it makes my back hurt more when I think about all the work I have done.
Makes me want to take a nap too.
Thinking about getting up @ 0430 tomorrow morning to go to the Oregon Arms Collectors Show makes me want to take a nap too.

Wow! Are you guys all shooting machine guns?
Caveman 6.jpg I just put my dozen, or so cases in a chamber die and file off whatever hangs out. Then, I touch them lightly with a deburring tool. :s0093:

I've used Lee trimming tools for more years than I can recall. They all work for me, from 6.5x55 to .45-70 and five others between.
When doing low volume, The lee tool works just fine. 20 or 30 rifle cases go quickly and accurately. But if I were sitting down to do a couple thousand pistol cases, Not so much.

For volume, I use an old Herters trimer. It is as solid as a mini lathe, and very accurate. DR

When doing low volume, The lee tool works just fine. 20 or 30 rifle cases go quickly and accurately. But if I were sitting down to do a couple thousand pistol cases, Not so much.

For volume, I use an old Herters trimer. It is as solid as a mini lathe, and very accurate. DR
I used to use the cheap Lee ones when I trimmed at work. My cases would always get shorter as the end of the death gage wore out. Went through a lot of them.

I'd like to start reloading 223 and am putting together the equipment needed. I was able to pick up a rock chucker supreme with primer tray and shell holder at the Albany gun show,. Also picked up a set of used Redding deprimer/sizing die and seating die set for $20. I'm now looking at case trimmers. This will be for bulk loading of range ammo with occasional use for scaring sage rats.

Brass is all range pickups. I can pick up quite a bit more after LEO requal/training sessions but don't know if they're using ammo with crimped primer pockets or not. I have around 1500 pieces of brass that I've run through the tumbler over the years but haven't sorted them or done any prep yet.

Seems to be quite a few stores and online vendors are having sales so it doesn't seem unreasonable to pick up one of the major brand trimmers for around $100. Here's a Lyman for $84.79 at Midway. The powered version is $119 but I'm not sure what else is needed or how the powered version holds the case to cut to proper length. I also see the Lee trim tools and like the idea of using a press and battery powered screwdriver.

Any recommendations from those that have already been through this?

BTW, yes, I know I'll be paying around $100/k for primers and sold 2k of my SPPs at that price to help fund this project.
I had the Hornady case prep which was manual and that took forever to trim cases. Not I have the Lyman power trimmer and it works MUCH better and the trim length is consistent. IMHO the power version is worth the $119.

That's odd, I do exactly the same thing.
Well, like I said I stumbled on this idea several years ago and thought 'Duh' why didn't I think of this.

It Makes using the the Lee trimmer a lot faster - even if one is using it with a drill driver. If using a drill PRESS - or like I do with my lathe - you can keep the cutter spinning and just feed cases on and off.

Well, like I said I stumbled on this idea several years ago and thought 'Duh' why didn't I think of this.

It Makes using the the Lee trimmer a lot faster - even if one is using it with a drill driver. If using a drill PRESS - or like I do with my lathe - you can keep the cutter spinning and just feed cases on and off.
Still holding cases. Hands.

Makes my back hurt which it does anyway so I guess it makes my back hurt more when I think about all the work I have done.
Makes me want to take a nap too.
Thinking about getting up @ 0430 tomorrow morning to go to the Oregon Arms Collectors Show makes me want to take a nap too.
See, I feel that way right now. And I don't even HAVE TABLES at the show!! I have so much admiration for these old(er) guys at that show. Make me feel like I'm a real bum.
It still is holding cases. Kills my hands.
Any chance your boy could be enlisted to trim cases for you?

LE Wilson standard trimmer with a cordless drill attached.
I clamp the trimmer into a small drill press vice. I've never timed my rate but it's fairly quick. The only moving part is the trimmer that's attached to the drill and use a dab of lube on it. Slip the case into the die, lay it on the guide rails, push/pull the drill & you're done. Thousands of rds (pistol/rifle) & still using the same cutter. I don't have anything over .40.
Trim length within .001 every rnd.
It doesn't chamfer the inside/outside but I don't care. I use a different setup for that.

Dan

20221223_091903.jpg 20221223_091851.jpg

If you're trimming 223/556 with a drill press mounted trimmer I use a pair of rubber coated winter gloves, like posted above but I also use a pair of needle nose pliers with the side cutters. That hole is the perfect size to hold 223/556 cases perpendicular and all I have to do is just lift up with a little pressure, no pain at all. :s0023:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top