JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I understand how and why advertised velocity can be different in my gun, and I have a chronograph to measure my actual velocity.

My guess is a bullets Ballistic Coefficient (BC) can also be different than the advertised BC. Is there a way to measure or determine the actual BC I am getting in my rifle?

If the shape and weight are accurate, the manufacturers stated BC should be good (temp, elevation, humidity and air pressure of course will vary).

I understand how BC affects flight, windage, trajectory etc. Im curious if there is a way to measure the BC I'm actually getting in my rifle?

I understand how BC affects flight, windage, trajectory etc. Im curious if there is a way to measure the BC I'm actually getting in my rifle?
Not that I know of. And what would be the advantage? Assuming its not a manufacturer defect, the BC on the box should be enough. Besides the fact of some or even all the variables in my first post changing often from day to day or "trip to trip". Even if you know it, how would you convert it to "real world" usable information? The BC will even vary from round to round slightly needing manufactures to post the average.

Not that I know of. And what would be the advantage? Assuming its not a manufacturer defect, the BC on the box should be enough. Besides the fact of some or even all the variables in my first post changing often from day to day or "trip to trip". Even if you know it, how would you convert it to "real world" usable information? The BC will even vary from round to round slightly needing manufactures to post the average.
The advantage is in long range shooting, all of the environmental elements can be calculated for in the field. If your BC is way off then that all goes out the window.

I do know that the advertized velocity can way way off from the actual velocity, so I suspect the same with the advertised BC. Im hoping your right its close enough.

Can it be done only 100yds apart?

So you get two velocity numbers, and a distance spread, how do you use those to calculate actual BC?
Use a ballistic calculator and see if the velocity lost over the distance matches the BC input. If the loss is lower, your BC is higher than advertised.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top