JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I read the opinion column once in awhile. This letter from a high school sophomore really got to me. I'm not anyone that could put together a good response to this young lady, so I'm asking that someone here see if they could get a well written response published. I'm thinking @etrain16 could be the perfect person. I know there are others here that are very well written, but it's etrain that come to mind first for me. I wanted to get the age of a high school sophomore and asked alexa, (a cool little toy BTW). She didn't give me the age but defined "Sophomore". It cracked me up! It was something like this from "The Urban dictionary"

Urban Dictionary: sophomore

sophomore
From the Greek words Sophos; meaning wise, and Moros; meaning fool, or foolish. Literally, a 'wise fool'.
1. A word used to denote the stage when a person has gained sufficient knowledge and/or skill to be of some use to his/her society or community, but is still sufficiently untutored or unskilled to perform wisely or correctly in most situations.
2. The second level of instruction in both secondary and collegiate education.
1. His explanation was sophomoric (sic) and uninspired.

2. She is in her sophomore year in college.
by Uncle Owl October 20, 2004

Eight common sense gun laws: Letter to the editor

Her letter totally ignored the fact that the right to keep and bear arm in America is nothing like driving or hunting. Or, that not one of her first seven "Common Sense" gun laws would have prevented most of the school shooting we've had.

So is anyone up for this?

I appreciate the vote of confidence Mike. Not sure if I have the time tonight, but I'll take a look anyway, maybe I can knock something out.

The grammr Nazi would tear my letter apart but if I talked to her first hand I would apologize to her. I would express how deeply sorry I am that the schools have become killing grounds and how little there is a common person can do to stop it. I would give her a short history of how Joe Biden took her protection away and made her a victim in the 90s with his gun free laws. Yes the laws ban all the guns she listed from being in a school yet laws did her no good.

I would give her heart felt regret that our schools create the killers and and won't take the steps needed to stop the insanity. Yes I would agree that new bans and changes are needed, a ban on public school and our tax money going to safe private schools where she could learn and enjoy life. We too want her to be safe and public schools are killing grounds, ban them.

Did I miss something? When did high school kids become policy makers? Must be all that life experience.
Like Dylan said, "I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now".

The grammr Nazi would tear my letter apart but if I talked to her first hand I would apologize to her. I would express how deeply sorry I am that the schools have become killing grounds and how little there is a common person can do to stop it. I would give her a short history of how Joe Biden took her protection away and made her a victim in the 90s with his gun free laws. Yes the laws ban all the guns she listed from being in a school yet laws did her no good.

I would give her heart felt regret that our schools create the killers and and won't take the steps needed to stop the insanity. Yes I would agree that new bans and changes are needed, a ban on public school and our tax money going to safe private schools where she could learn and enjoy life. We too want her to be safe and public schools are killing grounds, ban them.
I prefer grammar strumbahnfuhrer if you please.

Alright, I posted up a response. Hopefully it's a good one. Took me 4 posts to do it because they limit the number of characters in any single post. Follow Mike's link above if you want to read them - they're under the same username I use on this site.

The problem is that most newspapers editorial boards won't let the well reasoned, factual letters ever see the light of day. They shape the conversation in an extremely one sided, partisan manner by picking the ones that seem to let the argument go the way they want it to.

Dont bother, She did not come up with that list herself.

From another article where she was quoted

"I learned how preventable these tragedies were. I became disgusted at how long it's taken for our government to take large steps to prevent future gun violence in school."

Either given or read anti-gun propaganda. I suspect she contacted some anti-gun group and they gave her the list of talking points.

I would consider it the same if she came up to me and told me how to treat my patients.

My hope in responding to things like this is not necessarily trying to change the mind of the person I'm addressing, but I consider the folks that are reading the comments, people that may be on the fence and may consider each point of view, maybe even consider changing their mind. People do need to see that folks on the 2A side are able to reason, to offer solutions and not just shout 'molan labe' or 'from my cold, dead hands'. They need to know taking a pro-gun position can be a position of thought and reason. That's why I choose to engage in debates and make comments on things such as this - always in the hope of winning the middle to our side.

That's the thing though. There are laws now against everything the shooter did and one hell of a social barrier he crossed. How is a new law going to stop that?

There are four sorts of shootings.

Gang/drug shootings. ALL COMMITTED BY FELONS WHO CANNOT LEGALLY OWN GUNS. Stop these by keeping felons in jail. They can't be killing others while they're in jail.

Family/domestic disturbances. Maybe these red flag laws might help there. Maybe not. Been going on since forever.

Suicides. Not much to do here unless we're going to start committing people and setting up institutionalized care which were not things we liked before.

Finally and most rare. Mass shootings. Committed by anyone for obscure reasons. Rarely are the shooters on police radar. Most timed guns were legally procured or stolen from family.

These last are hardest to stop and hardest to predict but they sure aren't going to be solved by background checks or banning AR15s. As we see today a good old Rem 1100 and a .38 work just fine.

Ms Spurr, first, thanks for writing but might I ask a question, you used the term 'a group' as well as the word 'WE' several times in your Op-ed, could you quantify these terms, e.g., you are speaking for the entire student body of Lake Oswego?

Second, might I be afforded to respond to your proposals:
1. Ban assault rifles, as you state there is no need for these firearms in a civilian society. So these are being banned in the civilian society, are you also asking and prepared to ban these firearms from the local civilian society's Law Enforcement agencies, especially since you feel there is no need for them.

2. Currently, Federal statutes mandate in the majority of cases in this great nation, handgun sales are banned to those under 21 through Federal Firearm Licensees.

In the recent Texas school shooting the 17-year-old shooter took their caregivers firearm shotgun and revolver without permission; same situation in Columbine; same in Sandy Hook; same in Parkland; are you seeing a pattern? There was no purchase!
Sales has nothing to do with underage individuals obtaining firearms!

3. Elimination of high capacity magazines is already state law in several states, but have you considered the fact that in the recent Texas shooting, the individual reloaded his shotgun & revolver, as did the Pulse shooter, as did the VA Tech shooter, as did every shooter who has perpetrated these kinds of events.

Homeland's scenario is to hide, run away not challenge the shooter while they are reloading which is when they are most vulnerable to stopping further injuries and deaths. Why?

4. Please see number 2 above.

5. You are aware this nation loses approximately 44, 000 persons per year on our nation's highways where licensed drivers operate their motor vehicles.

6. Please explain how background checks or limitations on ammunition will mitigate these shootings. Further, please see # 2 above.

7. Currently, Federal statutes already prohibit Federal Firearm Licensees from transferring firearms to those citizens who profess to using illegal substances.

8. OUTSTANDING SUGGESTION. Please push this past those school administrators/teachers & State Legislators/Governor/Law Enforcement sheriffs/chiefs.

Again, thanks for your Op-Ed Ms Spurr, I hope you will please continue to be a good citizen.

"I learned how preventable these tragedies were. I became disgusted at how long it's taken for our government to take large steps to prevent future gun violence in school."

Either given or read anti-gun propaganda. I suspect she contacted some anti-gun group and they gave her the list of talking points.

I would consider it the same if she came up to me and told me how to treat my patients.
Most of the proggies toadies can't demonstrate any reasonable depth beyond the talking points th are fed to them.

I still believe the conversation needs to go to social media to get more folks reading common sense. When we let media like the oregonian control the conversation they get to pick and choose who gets heard.

Did I miss something? When did high school kids become policy makers? Must be all that life experience.

Both of these.

If i was trying to gain sympathy from my enemies ranks i'd certainly use a innocent neutral figure that plays upon their hearts to persuade slowly coming towards that once seen mine field even easier.

Not to say you shouldn't have sympathy and compassion (especially for you parents on here, god bless) but you gotta be careful like others have pointed out and question some things. We for sure know the media loves to get kids politically active in recent times then exploit them across the channels.

Excellent gentlemen!

I agree. I think well spoken reasonable responses to the points in the letter are what need to be in print.

The problem is that most newspapers editorial boards won't let the well reasoned, factual letters ever see the light of day. They shape the conversation in an extremely one sided, partisan manner by picking the ones that seem to let the argument go the way they want it to.

Some of the letters in today's paper were criticism of Gov Brown.:eek: So? :shrug:

That doesn't surprise me at all. The point is to get the rebuttal out there. Sitting here at the computer on NWFA carping and complaining doesn't do anything other than pee US off.

My hope in responding to things like this is not necessarily trying to change the mind of the person I'm addressing, but I consider the folks that are reading the comments, people that may be on the fence and may consider each point of view, maybe even consider changing their mind. People do need to see that folks on the 2A side are able to reason, to offer solutions and not just shout 'molan labe' or 'from my cold, dead hands'. They need to know taking a pro-gun position can be a position of thought and reason. That's why I choose to engage in debates and make comments on things such as this - always in the hope of winning the middle to our side.

Yes yes! Notice the girls #8 "Common sense gun law"? Fire arm education???? What a concept! ;)

Both of these.

If i was trying to gain sympathy from my enemies ranks i'd certainly use a innocent neutral figure that plays upon their hearts to persuade slowly coming towards that once seen mine field even easier.

Not to say you shouldn't have sympathy and compassion (especially for you parents on here, god bless) but you gotta be careful like others have pointed out and question some things. We for sure know the media loves to get kids politically active in recent times then exploit them across the channels.

Read the part about how much good carping and complaining on our forum helps the cause. The point was to rebut the fallacies in the op-ed page. Come up with courteous responses to these folk and get them printed.

I still believe the conversation needs to go to social media to get more folks reading common sense. When we let media like the oregonian control the conversation they get to pick and choose who gets heard.

I don't disagree with that. Go for it, too.

Read the part about how much good carping and complaining on our forum helps the cause. The point was to rebut the fallacies in the op-ed page. Come up with courteous responses to these folk and get them printed.

Valid point but first let me also include from prior readings across other threads,

"The internet and media especially social media is the devil in these kids." - general consensus

To now what you just said. It gives a bit of a contrarian image. I get we want to do the right thing which I do not oppose but I feel going from one forum to essentially a comment section on a local publishing is about the same in reality.

My 2 cents but I prefer doing the manual leg work and talking in person where you can really gauge a person via engagements vs another place to throw text on a wall that someone may or may not see. I do not disagree with your decision to be active just casting in my advisory from things i've personally encountered and had debated from both sides in person.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews