JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
About 1959 me and my 12 year old buddies started making our own black powder. Of course, that led to having to figure out what neat stuff we could do with it. One fun use was filling used CO2 cartridges with it and using Jet-X fuse to make crude hand grenades. Luckily the shrapnel never hit anything valuable. Then we wanted to try something more spectacular, so we filled a 4" piece of 3/4" pipe with it and screwed a pipe cap on each end. When that one went off it took a 4" limb out of an oak tree 100 yards away.

Then there's standing in a pickup bed with a .22 S-A rifle while chasing jack rabbits across an alfalfa field, using the pickup roof as a shooting rest.

Any one of these items would have been enough to provoke my dad to beat me within an inch of my life had he known. But years later he told me about the time he and his brothers put a .22 short round in their father's pipe. Ah, kids!

About 1959 me and my 12 year old buddies started making our own black powder. Of course, that led to having to figure out what neat stuff we could do with it. One fun use was filling used CO2 cartridges with it and using Jet-X fuse to make crude hand grenades. Luckily the shrapnel never hit anything valuable. Then we wanted to try something more spectacular, so we filled a 4" piece of 3/4" pipe with it and screwed a pipe cap on each end. When that one went off it took a 4" limb out of an oak tree 100 yards away.

Then there's standing in a pickup bed with a .22 S-A rifle while chasing jack rabbits across an alfalfa field, using the pickup roof as a shooting rest.

Any one of these items would have been enough to provoke my dad to beat me within an inch of my life had he known. But years later he told me about the time he and his brothers put a .22 short round in their father's pipe. Ah, kids!

One of my brothers old trucks had a bullet hole in the hood from one such outing. Several guys standing up in the back of the truck chasing down rabbits with the headlights. I was not on that one but one of my late night rabbit hunts I drove up the back of a guys leg who was out in front of the truck and stopped to take a shot. Ground was soft enough it only bruised him. I had forgot all about the midnight rabbit shoots.... :)

!

Let's see....my first wife
Think I was around 11 or so and my best friend and I collected the flash powder from a bunch of firecrackers. We put that in a spent CO2 cartridge as well with a random green fuse we found. There was a small part of the shoulder erroding under the road that we placed it in. Well, that thing went off and part of the shrapnel went flying right between us and hit the wall behind. It also turned that little wash out into a nasty sized pothole....I have a feeling I'm going to be paying for this kind of stuff with my kids as they get older.

Drove from Portland to Garibaldi at 3:30 am in the morning to go Salmon fishing by myself in the bay.
Around noon, I was really tired from trolling all morning, so I decided to anchor the boat and eat lunch without having to operate the kicker motor.
I grabbed the anchor and heaved it overboard, only to realize a split second later, that the anchor rope wasn't attached to it.
So, without giving it a second thought, I grabbed the rope and tossed it in to the bay right along with the sinking anchor.
I stood there in the boat watching the rope sinking into the water and sheepishly looked around to see if anyone saw what a dumb azz stunt I had just pulled. I figured it was time to pack it up and go home.

Drove from Portland to Garibaldi at 3:30 am in the morning to go Salmon fishing by myself in the bay.
Around noon, I was really tired from trolling all morning, so I decided to anchor the boat and eat lunch without having to operate the kicker motor.
I grabbed the anchor and heaved it overboard, only to realize a split second later, that the anchor rope wasn't attached to it.
So, without giving it a second thought, I grabbed the rope and tossed it in to the bay right along with the sinking anchor.
I stood there in the boat watching the rope sinking into the water and sheepishly looked around to see if anyone saw what a dumb azz stunt I had just pulled. I figured it was time to pack it up and go home.
I remember my cousin did that with our anchor at Detroit Lake in Oregon. So out of desperation we took his anchor and tried dragging for it in the area. On our last to we hooked ours anchor and got it back. Pure luck.

In the old days here (Clackamas county), they'd notify you that it was going to lapse.. no more..

Yup! That's the county I live in. In the older days, I knew they didn't send notices that your CHL would expire. But I got a notice a little over 4 years ago, the last time it was up. Guess I was counting on that notice. When I got a notice about my driver's license, it reminded me that June 2014 was the number...
At least I can renew online now. Just did that.

Biggest mistake - my first wife - whom I married when I was 20. A big mistake that lead to me making a bunch more mistakes that thankfully didn't leave any permanent scars (except mentally maybe) on me. Thankfully she's someone else's problem now, and lives in Colorado from what I've been told.

Worst firearm related mistake - came home from work dog tired one night, only got partially undressed. I'd removed my Glock 21 from it's holster with the intent on putting it on the dresser - but it didn't make it onto the dresser. I woke up the next morning with my left hand resting on a Glock and still in the previous day's work clothes.

When I was working as an armed security monkey, I discovered I'd worked an entire shift without a round in the chamber and an empty mag in the gun. Only ammo was the loaded mags on my belt.

Did my business out in the woods one day. Learned a very valuable biology lesson that day.
Don't use Poison Oak as toilet paper

img4223jpgversio.jpeg

Last Edited:
1) Forgot (probably six or seven times now) that you don't fire a Browning Auto .22 rifle with your forward arm directly under the receiver while wearing a long-sleeve shirt with a loose cuff.

.22 Long Rifle brass (freshly ejected) shares a striking similarity with a mad hornet where confined contact with tender human flesh is concerned.

2) Forgot to move the selector lever on a Savage 24 from 20 ga shotgun (the lower barrel) to .22lr (the upper barrel) when bearing down on a sitting cottontail at 15 yards. Result was less than favorable for the cottontail, worse for the dinner table, and an instantly delivered revelation to myself.

1) Forgot (probably six or seven times now) that you don't fire a Browning Auto .22 rifle with your forward arm directly under the receiver while wearing a long-sleeve shirt with a loose cuff.

.22 Long Rifle brass (freshly ejected) shares a striking similarity with a mad hornet where confined contact with tender human flesh is concerned.

2) Forgot to move the selector lever on a Savage 24 from 20 ga shotgun (the lower barrel) to .22lr (the upper barrel) when bearing down on a sitting cottontail at 15 yards. Result was less than favorable for the cottontail, worse for the dinner table, and an instantly delivered revelation to myself.

I thought #2 was quite funny :) Thanks for sharing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top