JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am sure I am not the only person to ever do something stupid ( Although I might be the only one willing to publicly admit it)

I had a momentary laps of judgment. The roll pin in this trigger guard was freakishly tight. I had the lower rested on my little anvil on a chunk of card board and I was having trouble holding the whole mess and so i put the thing in my lap and smacked it (with a roll pin punch and copper hammer) Pop...... The only saving grace is its a $65 lower. If I would have done that to my Noveske I would be in a whole different head space, but as it is I can just smile. Of course I know better, I have told countless folks to be careful of exactly what I did. Not sure what to do with the lower now. It does not affect anything other than its ugly. I might throw a pistol upper on it and make it a truck beater.

So what stupid things have you done? I know we are suppose to be manly men and not talk about such things in public, but confession is good for the soul :)

photo.JPG

Last Edited:
Man, which ones am I willing to admit too...

I've got dings and scratches on more then one firearm I own, either from learning mistakes or just plain duh moments.

I almost broke a mint sks stock trying to get the hand guard off before I realized there was a small pin holding it together.

I put a small dent (recently:mad:) in the original wood grips on my S&W 39-2 that I started shooting when I was 4.

I've dropped my carry gun 3-4 times in the last 6 months alone (I've never dropped any other gun in my 33 years of shooting), maybe because I handle it daily - idk. That walther takes it like a champ tho! I'm hard pressed to find any dings on it.

I'm sure there are a ton more, more then that if you go beyond just firearm stories;)

When I was a kid I smacked a live shotgun primer with a hammer - thought I lost my hearing and actually did for a little while. It is amazing how much power a shotgun primer has. Louder than most fire crackers, at least it was in my dads garage. I have never had a desire to do it again. Kids do stupid things.

I had just finished installing a CMC Drop-in trigger into one of my AR lowers. This is the third time I've changed out triggers on my different AR lowers, so I was VERY confident I knew what I was doing. I put everything back together, finished torquing down the pistol grip and went to check everything out.

Cock the hammer - Check
Safety on - Check
Hammer Doesn't fall -Check

Cock the hammer - Check
Selector switch to fire - Check
Hammer Falls - Check (of course I was holding it)

Cock the hammer again - move the selector back to Safe....and....WTF??
The selector switch does a complete 360. Ummmm....that's not right....so I figure the detent spring/pin are misaligned (or fell out) so I loosen the pistol grip. Nope Everything is where it should be. So I carefully re-torque everything and try again....Safety - Check: Fire - Check: but the selector switch is still just turning and turning.

Of course being the smart trouble shooter that I am, I repeated the EXACT same process 2 more times (with the exact same results...big shocker there). Finally I decide to walk away for a little bit before I wedge my nice new lower into the drywall of my garage.

It was still bugging me when I went to bed that night, but I thought a good night's sleep might clear my head. Then at 4:00 in the morning it hit me.....I had put the safety in the wrong way....instead of the selector switch being on the left side of the lower....I had it on the right..........

DOH!!!!!!!!!:s0037:

When I was a kid I smacked a live shotgun primer with a hammer - thought I lost my hearing and actually did for a little while. It is amazing how much power a shotgun primer has. Louder than most fire crackers, at least it was in my dads garage. I have never had a desire to do it again. Kids do stupid things.

When I was around 8ish, I opened a box of .22LR from my dad's cabinet, pulled one out, brought it to the back yard and threw it against the concrete walkway which ran to the back door. The primer hit the pavement just right and discharged the round. I felt the hot powder flash and deafening crack, and that was that.

Got out of my truck one chilly morning, put one foot down then slipped on ice which wasn't the funny or bad part, my side scraped against the little plastic mud scrapper thing in bottom door jam it ripped my holster right off my a** and it got stuck there just dangling.

:eek:When i was about 12 years old shooting my cousins bow in his hayfield agains a tall stack of bails my aunt was sunbathing in the front yard shot one high didnt find it till we headed back to the house found the arrow stuck in the grass about 2 feet from the lounger luckily she had went in the house before that shot and we didnt volunteer to tell on ourselves,

Smashed my thumb reloading a M1 Garand. After I had just reminded myself that it bites.

Pulled both. Barrels of a 10ga double barrel at once(I was 9 or 10 at the time)

A few more things but I ain't gunna go there

I did that in 8th grade shop class. The teacher was not happy with me. My wife often tells me: "If I knew what a rotten kid you were, I would have never married you." Guilty as charged.:(

first time I took my brand new surefire suppressor out I didn't realize I failed to fully lock it in place... First shot through it sent it flying 10 feet down range in a nice high arc.

the sick feeling in my stomach only went away after close inspection showed no baffle or end cap damage whatsoever, and the fact I was alone on the range at the time :)

I was figuring out why my resized 223 cases were too tight in my ar chamber and getting stuck while feeding. I got the bright idea to pull the bolt all the way back and let it slam forward to see if the case would feed all the way. It didn't. Instead it got stuck in the chamber so tight I couldn't pull the bolt back by hand. So I read online that people would sometimes smack their buttstocks against the ground to unstick a jammed round. So I went to the garage and slammed my ar down a few times until the pin inside the the collapsible stock lever broke, wedging the stock in that position permanently. I still haven't gotten around to dremeling the wedged pin out so I can pull the stock off and replace it....

Those adjustable stocks give me the heeby jeebies..
I was at a match once and some guy had your same problem.. he slammed the butt on the ground and the stock collapsed, pinching the web of his hand so securely we about had to modify his hand to get him loose. ouch

oh man I have a few in my younger dumber days...

First time i took the 454 casul out to shoot we shot all day and were packing up. while we were all standing around the back of the truck packing up I noticed 1 more round sitting in my pocket. without thinking i threw it in and shot it.... with no ears on me or any of my buddies who were standing withing 2 feet of my beside me... pretty sure we all lost hearing that day.

while showing an Australian friend of mine who had never even held a real gun how to properly hold and fire a 1911, I racked the mag, dropped the magazine, fired into the dirt 6-8 feet in front of us...yeah it was supposed to go click not bang...I had done them in the wrong order. plus side was we were able to easily find the bullet as it didnt penetrate the ground more than 1/2 an inch and he kept it as a souvenier.

Released live sheep into the school office over the weekend while in highschool....1 had a little accident and chewed somthing electrical it wasnt supposed to and electocuted its self and died. huge mess and 3 day vacation when they found out who did it.

once while I was restoring a jeep in my single car garage i had to put tires on the wheels while on the vehicle becuase of the wheels being welded on to the axles from a fire. the first 3 went well with shoe horning them on then using lighter fluid and a match to pop the bead. the 4th didnt work the first time due to lack of fluid (also the last match) so i filled it with a LOT more and used a lighter and the spray can as a make shift flamethrower to light it....the blast that followed lifted the jeep over onto its side and into the drywall on the other side of the garge and threw me on my bubblegum with no hearing....

oh man I could go on and on..thanks God we get smarter from these type of things.

Here is another one - as a kid we use to shoot arrows up in the air (dumb ) - we had one that stuck in the peak of our old farm house. Dad never saw that one and we weren't going to say anything - eventually the wind blew it down but up there for the better part of six months.

And another
As an adult I thought I was a gun smith and bought an old perch belly model 99 savage for 100$. It was a 30-30. I felt really good about the work I had done on it and it looked really nice considering what I started with. So I made the mistake of running a live round through it in the basement. I closed the bolt and gun fired - it fired through 3 floors of my house. When I had reassembled it, I had done it wrong, the fire pin was sticking out the breech face of the rifle and when I closed the action caused it to fire. Fortunately my wife was not home at the time and my dogs were in the basement with me but things could have gone much, much worse. I don't necessarily believe in a god but something has to protect those of us that do stupid things at times.

Crap where do I start, if were sticking with firearms. The first stupid thing I did when I was about 10-11 my mom had just married my stepdad and he was kind of a scary guy to me, we all spent a lot of time at his property in bend. As kids running around killing anything that moved with our bb guns, not thinking fired a hip shot at the outhouse, and the pellet bounced around a bit, in time to hear a very loud yell and cursing. My stepdad was in there taking a dump. I thought he was going to kill me.

I too banged up a couple ARs building them.
Recently building my AR pistol. The YHM lo pro gas block wasn't going on easily. Hammered it on a little, nust enough the get it stuck.
Couldn't get it off!!! Figured F it, hammered it all the way on. If I need to take it off I will have to cut it off. F!
Then I read online you have to sand it down or grind it down to fit.

Left one of my 1911's in my range bag and threw an old rag that had some Brasso on it in the bag and it sat right on top of the gun. The next day I got up and took the gun out only to see that it caused some sort of chemical reaction to the slide. It literally burned into the slide and the only way to fix it would to have the shole gun re-blued. Ended up selling it. Here are the before and after shots.

IMG_0504.jpg IMG_0520.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads