JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My understanding is that any private firearm transfer, handguns or long guns, is illegal to residents of differing states. The gun must be transferred to an FFL in the buyers state.

You can purchase rifles from an FFL dealer in any state, but can only buy handguns from the FFL in your state.

And handguns out of state through FFL's?

Interstate Commerce Act (what gives the feds the right to regulate the firearms biz). You can't transfer a modern firearm (long gun or hand gun) over a state line without using an approved and licensed transfer agent (an FFL) as a receiver of said gun. It's not a big deal as you can ship a firearm directly to an FFL that will accept from a private party. You just have to ship it to an FFL or get in really, REALLY big trouble. I believe that you can ship a firearm directly to an individual within the same state (live in Bend and ship to someone in Medford for example) but not ever over state lines.

I'm sure someone can correct any inaccuracies I may have proffered.

You cannot buy a handgun outside of your home state from anyone.

Without coming off as too confrontational: since when? I just sold a pistol to someone in another state and his FFL had no problems whatsoever accepting the item. I spoke with them in depth about it and according to the BATFE rules (which I believe I saw posted somewhere on this site) it's perfectly legal.

Soo Uh lets say I move to WA and I take my guns with me... and when I move there one of you WA guys wants to buy it does that mean I cant sell it to you cause I bought it in a different state?

Without coming off as too confrontational: since when? I just sold a pistol to someone in another state and his FFL had no problems whatsoever accepting the item. I spoke with them in depth about it and according to the BATFE rules (which I believe I saw posted somewhere on this site) it's perfectly legal.

I must not be making myself clear.

A person cannot drive across state lines and buy a handgun from a dealer. They can buy a long gun from the dealer though.

A person cannot drive across state lines and buy ANY firearm FTF.

A person can have a gun shipped to their dealer in the state in which they live and have it transferred to them.

I thought the OP was asking about buying FTF from out of state, which is a felony.

I must not be making myself clear.

A person cannot drive across state lines and buy a handgun from a dealer. They can buy a long gun from the dealer though.

A person cannot drive across state lines and buy ANY firearm FTF.

A person can have a gun shipped to their dealer in the state in which they live and have it transferred to them.

I thought the OP was asking about buying FTF from out of state, which is a felony.

All very true - I figured we'd clear up what needed to be done if he decides he wants something from someone in WA. I believe that someone from WA can travel to, say, Portland and make a transfer through an FFL though right?

Hey Coctailer,

I see where the confusion set in. Your reply to sheepdog223 seemed to preclude the legality of transfer (through FFL) pretty definitively. We’re all cleared up now though I think. :)

Someone pleeeeez tell me the intelligence behind these laws?

What difference is there where one buys a gun? There shouldn't be. These laws/rules aren't stopping anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aint we the United States...or are we the Separate States?

I don't have a problem with background checks, I believe we need to know who we are selling to. But not being able to do it across state lines?

Whomever thought of that needs to be slapped!

I think some of us are making this more complex than it is.
If you buy any gun from a private party in another state, you do it through an FFL.
Cross state lines = use FFL= DO NOT GO TO JAIL.
Simple.

There are exceptions (i.e.) Military if you are stationed in one State but reside in the adjacent state (OR and WA) you are considered a resident of both states. All you would need to do is show Orders showing your duty Station and ID, etc, etc.

Someone pleeeeez tell me the intelligence behind these laws?

What difference is there where one buys a gun? There shouldn't be. These laws/rules aren't stopping anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aint we the United States...or are we the Separate States?

I don't have a problem with background checks, I believe we need to know who we are selling to. But not being able to do it across state lines?

Whomever thought of that needs to be slapped!

I agree.

IIRC, you can't even sell to a resident of your own state if you are out of state. For example, an OR resident can't sell to an OR resident at a WA gun show.

Bruce

I believe the law is a hold-over from times before internet when records could only be checked by someone looking in a file cabinet at your local/state police department.

Bruce

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads