JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will stick with the old war horse because I have faith in it. I will stick with the 45 ACP because it has and will continue to do its job without fancy bullets and special conditions.

Doesn't matter what you carry as long as you can hit your target with it. I just get amazed they keep changing calibers. They had 9mm a long time ago and dumped it for a 10mm then went to a 40 now back to nine. Change calibers as often as they do underwear:D.
They're going back to the bobbed and de-seared 3" M-13 .357 Magnum S&W revolver with not 158's of any flavor. All is good in the world. lol

I had been steering clear of .40 till I bought two Walther PPX's six months ago, one in 9, one in 40. I actually think the 40 to be more accurate and with the PPX at least not too much recoil as in other 40's I have shot. So I have the PPX and a Charter Arms Pitbull revolver in 40, but I am not seeking another 40. I know everybody's mileage varies, but has anyone else shot similar pistols in 9 and 40, and found one or the other noticeably more accurate?

Yes they say the 9mm is just as good now with the right bullet design. I recall the great Miami shootout when Platt and Matix were hit solid with 9mm and went on to kill officers and that is why the FBI went eventually to 40.

It's up to every man to figure out what weapon and caliber works best for him, I have nothing bad to say about any of them.

Well.........except Glocks! Right? I mean, right!?!?!?:rolleyes:

In cars the old song goes "Ain't no substitute for Cubic Inches" and I would remind most that our 9 MM choices are normally 115, 124 or 147 Grain while the 40 has the most common round at 165 or 180 Grain. More is More. I might buy another Glock and if I do I think it will be a 23, but more likely a XD Mod 2 in 45. More is More

All pistols should be a Glock. All Glocks should be a 9mm. All Glock 9MMs should be Glock 19s lol.

Sometimes I'll listen to Yeager, so I decided to listen to him three years ago and it sure paid off. Oh btw.... I got XS big dots on one of my 3 G19s :D

Luckily the people who make ammo for the Military and Feds aren't the same companies that make ammo for us.

Or have you ever seen a Lake City deer hunting round at BiMart? and I', mpt talking something made from reprocessed brass.

Same goes with the handgun stuff its companies like General Dynamic's that fill the huge gov contracts.

In cars the old song goes "Ain't no substitute for Cubic Inches" and I would remind most that our 9 MM choices are normally 115, 124 or 147 Grain while the 40 has the most common round at 165 or 180 Grain. More is More. I might buy another Glock and if I do I think it will be a 23, but more likely a XD Mod 2 in 45. More is More

Yeah, getting a hit with a 230gr .45acp+p is better than two hits with a 115gr 9mm+p. ;)

I run Cor-Bon 230gr .45acp+p JHP, and them babies hum along at 1,000+fps. It's analogous to getting hit by a full dump truck going 90-mph. (Or a heavy glass ashtray doing 120-mph) :D

In the end it's ALWAYS about shot placement... I'd hate a 22LR in the right (or any) spot, too. o_O

I recall the great Miami shootout when Platt and Matix were hit solid with 9mm and went on to kill officers and that is why the FBI went eventually to 40.

Yet they were stopped by a wounded agent and his 38 Special. Good shooting trumps caliber.

I'm not a 9mm fan. Never have been probably never will be. But I'd be a fool to proclaim it to be a bad round, especially with all of the ammo and bullet advancements that have come along.
Pat Sweeney has an article in the recent G&A that states the same things that gaijinsamurai mentions. I spose it makes sense for an agency, but I'll keep my 40 and 45s. I like them and they work for me.

Good shooting trumps caliber.
Nearly always does AND as previously mentioned choice of gun regardless of caliber is going to have a huge effect regardless of caliber - A full size 1911 is going to be a much better defensive handgun over a G36 - same with a 9mm - and the the ability to control a full size 9mm is without par. For me though if it were PURELY defense it would be my CZ in 9mm - 17 over 8 is a big difference and if some of those 'inferior' 9mms were to be one shot stops then that ups the ante for the high cap argument. BUT - in all fairness I shoot my 1911 probably as well (maybe a touch better) than my CZ but that is probably due to it having better sights, trigger and it has had some accuracy work. BUT when I swap out the CZ sights for something I can see and do something about the trigger it may outshoot the 1911. Still though there is no denying a full size 9mm will always be more controllable than a similar sized .45.

Yes they say the 9mm is just as good now with the right bullet design. I recall the great Miami shootout when Platt and Matix were hit solid with 9mm and went on to kill officers and that is why the FBI went eventually to 40.

The switch to the 10mm/40S&W was based upon the "failure" of one 9MM round fired by Agent Dove from a range of about 15 yards that went through Platts upper arm, into his lung, and stopped just short of his heart. This was a fatal wound but not instantly incapacitating. Platt absorbed multiple hits to various parts of his body from .38+P rounds and 00 buck before finally being stopped by a point-blank chest shot with a .38+P. Platt was determined to keep fighting no matter what, and in this case I think 9mm's with higher capacity and faster reloads would have served the officers better than lower-capacity guns with more theoretical "stopping power."

I have become fond of the S&W M&P autos.

I have both full size and compact versions in both 9MM and .40 and I have a 9MM Shield and a 9MM Pro series.

I also have a couple in .22LR and a couple pellet guns (one is modeled after the .45 and the other a 9MM)

After extensive ammo consumption I can tell you I shoot the full size 9MM the best of the lot and the difference is considerable in the smaller guns between the 9 and the .40 but not so noticeable in the larger guns (shooting full size=not much difference, shooting compacts difference more pronounced)

I have learned more about pistol shooting from having a range of calibers in the "same" handgun than any thing else. Shooting a "matching" .22LR gives you feedback about what you are doing in the larger calibers and allows you to use that feedback to alter your hold, trigger squeeze and stance.

I dont have a M&P .45 yet, but eventually I will. I am interested to see if the pattern holds true.

I have both full size and compact versions in both 9MM and .40 and I have a 9MM Shield and a 9MM Pro series.

I also have a couple in .22LR and a couple pellet guns (one is modeled after the .45 and the other a 9MM)

After extensive ammo consumption I can tell you I shoot the full size 9MM the best of the lot and the difference is considerable in the smaller guns between the 9 and the .40 but not so noticeable in the larger guns (shooting full size=not much difference, shooting compacts difference more pronounced)

I have learned more about pistol shooting from having a range of calibers in the "same" handgun than any thing else. Shooting a "matching" .22LR gives you feedback about what you are doing in the larger calibers and allows you to use that feedback to alter your hold, trigger squeeze and stance.

I dont have a M&P .45 yet, but eventually I will. I am interested to see if the pattern holds true.

The switch to the 10mm/40S&W was based upon the "failure" of one 9MM round fired by Agent Dove from a range of about 15 yards that went through Platts upper arm, into his lung, and stopped just short of his heart. This was a fatal wound but not instantly incapacitating. Platt absorbed multiple hits to various parts of his body from .38+P rounds and 00 buck before finally being stopped by a point-blank chest shot with a .38+P. Platt was determined to keep fighting no matter what, and in this case I think 9mm's with higher capacity and faster reloads would have served the officers better than lower-capacity guns with more theoretical "stopping power."

Looking back on it the biggest mistake was the FBI not having rifles. They knew who the bad guys were and that they were heavily armed yet went after them armed with pistols and a shotgun. The bad guys with a mini 14 simply over powered the good guys.

Unless you hit a sweet spot on the target a handgun bullet is just going to make a person bleed out. The wound has to be big enough to drop blood pressure to make the bad guy pass out. It's why you need to be a good shot and hit a sweet spot, depending on the wound it may give the bad guy time to kill you before he passes out.

This. I really like the less snappy recoil of a .45, but I'm just as accurate with a 9mm and much quicker with follow-up shots. I've tried a lot of different guns in a lot of different calibers and I prefer a 9mm for carry. This article makes sense when you think about it - if the permanent cavity is responsible for most of the results, how is a one millimeter wider hole going to have a noticeable effect? Carry what you can hit a target with. Practice.

Looking back on it the biggest mistake was the FBI not having rifles. They knew who the bad guys were and that they were heavily armed yet went after them armed with pistols and a shotgun. The bad guys with a mini 14 simply over powered the good guys.

Unless you hit a sweet spot on the target a handgun bullet is just going to make a person bleed out. The wound has to be big enough to drop blood pressure to make the bad guy pass out. It's why you need to be a good shot and hit a sweet spot, depending on the wound it may give the bad guy time to kill you before he passes out.

This has got to be the most spot-on analysis I've read of that incident.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top