JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
· 9mm Luger now offers select projectiles which are, under identical testing conditions, I outperforming most of the premium line .40 S&W and .45 Auto projectiles tested by the FBI

· 9mm Luger offers higher magazine capacities, less recoil, lower cost (both in ammunition and wear on the weapons) and higher functional reliability rates (in FBI weapons)

· The majority of FBI shooters are both FASTER in shot strings fired and more ACCURATE with shooting a 9mm Luger vs shooting a .40 S&W (similar sized weapons)

· There is little to no noticeable difference in the wound tracks between premium line law Auto enforcement projectiles from 9mm Luger through the .45 Auto

If the science behind it is true and the 9mm these days are more effective and pack more power then it's would be stupid not to switch.
Cost
Capacity
And ease of handling for begining shooters makes sense

I shot a deer and a pig with those first gen standard pressure 115gr Silvertips. The deer went about thirty feet and piled up with a lung shot and the pig I heart shot and then spine shot (going away and slightly below me on the second shot) in less than two seconds. It spun around a bit but sure didn't go far.
I use slightly better constructed slugs these days and in +P or better power.

And this is the edit.. you do not want to be shot with a hunting/defense 9mm slug!

Last Edited:
The old 115gr standard pressure Remington HP's were absolute killers. They'd feed in anything (back then it was an issue and that profile was just perfect for any type of gun) and they'd expand on jackrabbit ribs but hold together if shot into gravel or solid bone. They were awesome.. and they existed before the Silvertips. Then there's the old Super-Vel line that came before those and then handloading of everything before during and since. lol. A sharp shouldered SWC is a good hunting bullet in 9mm, don't you know. anyway

SuperVels! Wow, I had completely forgotten about them!

I'm with the FBI on this one! I love my .45's and .40S&W but have issues with my thumbs, hands and wrists these days! The reduced recoil is welcome! And, I love that higher capacity or smaller pistoi with those of my 9's that single stack! My compact 9's are a step up from the .380's that are semi-retired, except on the hottest days!

So, I opines that nines are fine!:cool:

It's not just the FBI, law enforcement agencies across the countries are dumping their .40's for 9mms. Same goes for the civilian consumer market.

Loaded with Hornady Critical Duty, I have faith in effectiveness of my Glock 19 for personal defense. My 1911A1s, .357, and .44 mag are purely for recreational purposes. And I got rid of my .40 a couple of years ago.

Doesn't matter what you carry as long as you can hit your target with it. I just get amazed they keep changing calibers. They had 9mm a long time ago and dumped it for a 10mm then went to a 40 now back to nine. Change calibers as often as they do underwear:D.

They do. It always seems like they have some "science" to back up the change. Next the 45 will be all around better.
I like all calibers but I do happen to shoot my 40s better in my carry guns. Of course I shoot 9mm faster in things like the CZ 75 but that is not a carry gun most of the time for me!

Haha that made me laugh. I feel the love of plenty of ammo at the store for me now! Cops will be taking up all the 9mm instead and I got plenty of that for the 9s I have. Good luck to those that only use 9mm!

You are probably right about ammo availability on 9mm, reading the military is going to 9mm hollow points too. Take a couple billion rounds of production to fill government demand so 9mm guys better buy while it's still available.

Doesn't matter what you carry as long as you can hit your target with it. I just get amazed they keep changing calibers. They had 9mm a long time ago and dumped it for a 10mm then went to a 40 now back to nine. Change calibers as often as they do underwear:D.

There was a time when the .40 was a good idea, and when I first became acquainted with the round, I was excited about it, and went out and bought a Glock 23. Later, I owned a Glock 22, just like the one that was issued to me as a parole & probation officer, and later, a private security contractor for the US Govt. However, the lapse of the Clinton era "Assault Weapons" ban has made standard capacity magazines available to the public again. More importantly, advances in munitions technology has resulted in significant improvements in 9mm, making the advantages held by the .40 S&W virtually negligable. And of importance to Law Enforcement Agencies, the increased pressures of standard .40 results in more wear and tear on the weapon, causing police departments the cost of increased maintenance and earlier replacement. Finally, because standard 9mm is cheaper to purchase for us consumers, most of us can afford to practice more, resulting in better skills.

To each his own. The .40 S&W IS a good round, and I would have utmost confidence in its abilities, but for me, the above reasons I listed make the nine my caliber of choice.

Oh, and by the way, I was in the USMC when our unit traded in our old trusty WWII era 1911A1s for nines. I and a lot of others were pissed. A lot of our annoyance was with the Beretta M9, more than the caliber.

There was a time when the .40 was a good idea, and when I first became acquainted with the round, I was excited about it, and went out and bought a Glock 23. Later, I owned a Glock 22, just like the one that was issued to me as a parole & probation officer, and later, a private security contractor for the US Govt. However, the lapse of the Clinton era "Assault Weapons" ban has made standard capacity magazines available to the public again. More importantly, advances in munitions technology has resulted in significant improvements in 9mm, making the advantages held by the .40 S&W virtually negligable. And of importance to Law Enforcement Agencies, the increased pressures of standard .40 results in more wear and tear on the weapon, causing police departments the cost of increased maintenance and earlier replacement. Finally, because standard 9mm is cheaper to purchase for us consumers, most of us can afford to practice more, resulting in better skills.

To each his own. The .40 S&W IS a good round, and I would have utmost confidence in its abilities, but for me, the above reasons I listed make the nine my caliber of choice.

Yes they say the 9mm is just as good now with the right bullet design. I recall the great Miami shootout when Platt and Matix were hit solid with 9mm and went on to kill officers and that is why the FBI went eventually to 40.

It's up to every man to figure out what weapon and caliber works best for him, I have nothing bad to say about any of them.

That's what they say, but with the Army in charge of deciding what everyone will get, I have no doubt the trials/procurement will be the usual clusterphvq.....just like the multicam/ACU fiasco, the Bradley development program, adoption of the M14 over the FAL, the Sgt. York, and of course, the M9!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top