JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i answered the questions truthfully but on the top of the paper is says prohibited dose this mean i am not allowed firearms or is is simply a denial from the nics system i have zero criminal history i take meds for anxiety and am on ssi due to said anxiety and i cant find anything online about this at all

if anyone could help i would be very great full

i answered the questions truthfully but on the top of the paper is says prohibited dose this mean i am not allowed firearms or is is simply a denial from the nics system i have zero criminal history i take meds for anxiety and am on ssi due to said anxiety and i cant find anything online about this at all

if anyone could help i would be very great full

Welcome to NWFA first of all!

Second...this isn't really the place to ask for info like that. This IS certainly the place to relate your experience with the process of dealing with a denial/delay.

Try this website...

Oregon State Police - CJIS Division - Identification Services Section Firearms Denial Information and Reports

And this person specifically I believe.

[email protected]

Good luck and let us know how things go please.

Just chiming in, not referring to you OP, but in general this is why when people say hey, vote for this law, one better look at the fine print. Many laws in Oregon have passed for all sorts of things and now effect firearms ownership's.

If you have had a 5150 or some other involuntary placement in a mental facility, you are prohibited
Or it could be that a prohibited person has the same name as you.
As said before, check with the Oregon DOJ.
You may need a lawyer to get things cleared up.

I am almost done tunnelling out out the asylum, I just hopes my spoon doesn't break.
You only have to go far enough to break into the conveniently placed man-sized sewer pipe that empties into a similarly convenient creek outside the facility's walls.

Works every time I've seen it tried: Shawshank Redemption, Runaway Train...

As far as being labeled "prohibited", that's a new one on me. If it's a case of mistaken identity, it's definitely something that needs to get fixed ASAP. Did the FFL provide you with the OSP Challenge Line phone number? I believe they're required to in the case of a delay... that's as far as I've ever gone with it. Beyond that, I'd be looking for reasonably priced and competent lawyer (I do so hate suggesting a lawyer, but it's almost mandatory anymore).

Last Edited:
If you voluntarily disclosed info about the meds, that is likely why you were denied. I'm fairly certain that being on anxiety meds would qualify you as (for this purpose, not certain of what you are actually like) a mental defective, although, looking at a 4473 right now, I'm not seeing where you would do so other than either box e or f, and then you would still have to write it in, in very small print.
If you had filled it out as necessary, and your name was a match for someone less savory, I would imagine that the sheriffs deputies would likely have shown up. Maybe the person behind the counter didn't like the cut off your jib, sailor, and prohibited you themselves.

Also this is a thing
Screenshot_20181028-104234.png
So, essentially, if you are on SSI disability due to a mental issue (like anxiety) you can't buy guns.
Thanks Obama
link here: https://parmelelawfirm.com/social-security-disability-gun-ownership/

Also this is a thing
View attachment 512954
So, essentially, if you are on SSI disability due to a mental issue (like anxiety) you can't buy guns.
Thanks Obama
link here: https://parmelelawfirm.com/social-security-disability-gun-ownership/

The very next paragraph says it was overturned, though...
On February 15, 2017, Congress used the Congressional Review Act to undo this action. The Congressional Review Act is rarely used, so this response was quite surprising. Nevertheless, this means that individuals who receive Social Security disability for a mental illness no longer have to fear losing access to their firearms.

The very next paragraph says it was overturned, though...
Good catch.
However, if when he 'told the truth' about his condition he indicated that he had been declared a mental defective (which i believe is a key factor to determining eligibility for disability) when he was approved for the disability, he would have been disqualified.
So, he could perjure himself and say he had not been declared a mental defective and roll the dice, or tell the truth.
As you have proven, I am not infallible. But, if the OP told the full truth as I imagine he must have, and he has stated that he did, that would be why he was refused.

I believe "being declared mentally defective" requires being institutionalized or involuntarily committed by court order, not just being disabled or seeking voluntary treatment. I could be wrong, though.

There's definitely more to this story though, and I hope we get some follow up from OP.

I believe "being declared mentally defective" requires being institutionalized or involuntarily committed by court order, not just being disabled or seeking voluntary treatment. I could be wrong, though.

There's definitely more to this story though, and I hope we get some follow up from OP.

There is definitely some confusion on voluntary stays longer than 14 days. I think it is not a disqualification, but is sometimes filed as such. 14 Day Diversions I believe are a disqualification. Court commitments are a definite no go. (This info is good for Oregon only)

Since you would have to have had to be unable to work for more than a year due to mental state to be eligible for disability due to anxiety or depression, it may be the case that one declares themselves as such during the signing of any paperwork, regardless of the nature of hospital stays, if any at all.
I would absolutely not be surprised if this were the case, but who knows.
Hope the best for the OP.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads