JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
nah, YFZ...i was just smiling when i typed that, reading what you had written:
"everyone reading it is local" and "can legally buy". that is hyperbole, which
was all i was trying to point out.

just bought 1k of quality ammo for fire sale prices on SG, so I appreciate that site
*and* NWF !

As an update...

I took the CHL class today. Pretty basic, not much new information, but at least it is done and out of the way. While I was waiting for the class to start I browsed through the holsters (class was held at Sportsman's Warehouse on 82nd).

Right now, I'm leaning toward IWB appendix or crossdraw carry in a kydex or very small leather holster. One of the main reasons is because I feel funny about having the gun behind me where I can't see it or see who might be getting close to me. I think because I'm small people tend to infringe a little on my personal space, especially in crowded situations, and I'd hate for something bad to happen.

Also, I'm worried about sitting for extended periods of time with the gun between me and the chair... I don't want to mess up my back any more than it already is. I think I'm going to try appendix carry as my first option and see what happens. Might change my mind later on, of course. Girls are like that! :s0112:

I'm planning to send in the application for my CHL tomorrow so I'm definitely in the market to buy my gun now. Since y'all have been so kind so far, I'd sure love to take one off of someone's hands who is looking to sell. Spare S&W M&P 9c anyone?

Kathy Jackson has a great website about carrying from a female point of view and goes over the pros and cons of each carry method along with suggestions, it's worth the read:
<broken link removed>

I'm not a fan of the small of back carry. It's not bad for hiding the gun but a 2+lb hunk of steel right up against the base of your spine is not worth the risk IMO. I'd hate to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair because I slipped on a patch of ice (which is far more likely to happen than needing to use it in self defense).

I know this is past date of last post by 30 days but wondered what you decided? I am a 50 year old woman 4'8"; 80#. I carry every day MOB slightly offset. I carry a 1911 .45 ACP from Kimber. I started with a Kahr 9 but the truth is, the smaller the gun the more it wails the tar out of your hands! Recoil is better controlled on a slightly larger gun. I was frustrated with trying to hide even the small Kahr. I decided to make it my mission to buy AND carry ON MY PERSON the largest gun I could safely and accurately fire. You know what? Once you mentally make that commitment, it gets easier.

I have not changed my wardrobe. I wear fairly well-fitting jeans and tops, and then I just toss a sweater or jacket or vest over it. The combinations are endless. I don't look "frumpy".

Yes, I am aware of the risks. I wear the MOB from galco slight off-set so that my spine is less at risk. Kidney? Well, heck I got two of them so, worst case I reckon I'll take that risk. It's comfortable, I can drive long distances with the 1911 in the holster and never feel it.

I have also used the smart carry and I love it too. What's so nice about it is that so often ladies summer-weight clothing won't support a solid sturdy belt such as ANY off the waist holster does required. IWB, MOB, OWB...they all have to have a heavy belt. Smart carry neatly solves that. Broom Skirts, shorts...all of them make me feel feminine and the gathers hide the 1911 quite well in that "kangaroo pouch". It's my favorite for summer wear. And, with practice I can draw faster out of that than my MOB and it's far less noticeable that I'm preparing to do so.

I have used a purse but am not comfortable with it. For one thing, I work a desk job with lots of meetings. I keep my purse locked up and dragging it to meetings would be suspicious. And, if someone wanted to 'search' my desk for contraband, that would be the first thing they'd look at. The closer to your body, the less likely for someone to know about it.

Finally, and this works better in winter than in summer, consider a chest holster. Not those togs that are basically elastic belts under your arm pit..I'm talking about one made of kydex suspended over the shoulder that hangs the weapon right under "thelma and louise". Even a small busted woman like myself can get away with that in winter when sweaters and jackets are not so uncommon. Love it in the fall under sweat when I'm working in the yard. Can't put the 1911 there but the Taurus slim 709 goes there just dandy.

hope you found what you were looking for.

fanny pack or a armpit/shoulder rig would be the direction you could look. My daughter has rather large breasts and she can concel in a shoulder holster pretty well. She can't do anything on her back due to having a serious back problem. So it's either her fanny pack or the shoulder holster.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top