JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First: I thought this was going to be a pic thread :(

Second: I actually had to switch my carry gun to a smaller gun because of concealing it when situations with my work changed. I could no longer carry my Glock 19 (about the same size as the SW9mm) in my IWB holster at 5 o clock where I normally did. I actually had to switch to a Kel-Tec PF9 in my front pocket. Sometimes the gun you would rather carry doesn't allow you to carry it for whatever reason. For this I would recommend having a couple options based on the situation.

Third: Ankle holsters work well, as do IWB that are carried between 1 and 3 o clock. I am a slightly larger than average sized guy, but everyone who had tried my glock on, it pretty much disappeared on everyone when carrying up front. The buttons, zippers, folds, etc. help cover it up some and it's not very uncomfortable unless you have a really long barrel on the gun, then it's just a matter of getting it at the right angle.

Some holster styles tend to hold the gun closer to the body than others. Some kind of IWB like a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 could work well for you or something like the Comptac.

I personally don't like carrying IWB. I usually carry a Commander size 1911. I have tried several OWB holsters and the one I like best is the Kirkpatrick Leather Texas Strong Side holster. It is an open top OWB holster that is the best I've found so far for pulling the butt of the gun tight to my body. I have the same holster for my Sig 229 as well.

ok i understand didnt figure it would work anyway but im sure glad to see that a women is taking her self defense serious and isnt thinking the police are always gonna be there for you . as for advice on holsters i would just go try a bunch out and see what works for you my wife carries in her purse so im not much help.

Check out the website Chick Holsters

She is a member of NWFA and on her site, it give options for concealed carry for women.

Can't believe no one else remembered this website....Once again it appears TRLSMN, among other are asleep at the pc............

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE...WITH THE
INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL
PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE,
THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY
PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

I had the same problem and questions as you when I started carrying. The ankle carry was my first solution but it doesn't lend itself really well to larger or double stack guns unless you are wearing belle bottoms. And if it's a large frame then it becomes a calf holster not an ankle. :)

I personally couldn't comfortably handle anything IWB due to clothing restrictions and comfort. I had two c-sections so anything in front just didn't sit well and anything in back didn't feel good with how tight it was stuffed into my jeans, if I could even zip them up.

Shoulder holsters... love the idea but not practical without larger overlay coat etc.

The thigh holster is my favorite so far. Not all skirts work, but I find so many do a good enough job and some times even conceal as large as a full sized frame in the XDM .40. I like the accessibility as well and have on more than one account reached for my gun and held it in my hand without my attacker even knowing. So my .02 is thumbs up for the thigh holsters. They have received a lot of flack from people in the past, but to me they have been my saving grace--including in summer heat when I can still pack a large gun in a skirt instead of shorts. No one has ever spotted it on me, even when there is a noticeable (to me) bulge. Your thighs aren't noticed as much by people.

I do want to try the UBG Regulator some day... I have heard some good things about it. <broken link removed> . But it still would require long and flowy tops which is not vast majority of my wardrobe.

Best wishes in this search and interested to know what you decide on.

Check out the website Chick Holsters

She is a member of NWFA and on her site, it give options for concealed carry for women.

Can't believe no one else remembered this website....Once again it appears TRLSMN, among other are asleep at the pc............

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE...WITH THE

INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL
PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE,
THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY
PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Lol--thanks Bajablast. I for one am impressed by the sharp memory. ;) I actually almost didn't post for the sake of appearing salesy... but I do appreciate your support anyhow. But I will throw in--there are other thigh holsters out there. :)

One thing I have learned is sometimes you have to dress to what your carrying... If your carrying a bigger size gun your most likely gonna have to wear baggier clothes whether your a guy or girl.... My wife who is about 5'4 and 120 wears the tight clothes... so her carrying a gun the size of your M&P (which is about the same size as my Glock 27) would be some what hard.. I purchased a Sig P238 for her to carry, when she gets her CHL and I think that will be a good lil gun for her....AND no im not trying to get you to switch guns:)

A thigh holster would work, but your attacker may think your trying to get freaky with him with you start lifting up your dress or skirt lol...

This is exactly what I was hoping for, lots of useful information and some great links. Thanks for responding and keep the ideas coming! I especially like the idea of buying used holsters - definitely a way to save money in the pursuit of the perfect one.

Oh, and something else I forgot to mention that tends to cramp my style a bit - I am very "short waisted." This means that the distance from my armpit to my waist is a lot shorter than most women my size. There is literally about an inch from the bottom of my last rib to the top of my hipbone.

This is both good and bad - doesn't leave much room for a gun but does mean most shirt end up being too long for me.

I also wear medium-rise pants most of the time. The zipper/snap area on these pants is all of about four inches long so wearing a Smartcarry holster would leave the gun sticking up out of the waistband and probably poking me in the tummy while sitting.

Amy

It may have already been mentioned... but from what I understand IWB doesn't always bode well for ladies with the natural curves they have. This has a tendancy to push the grip into the ladies' waist. Ofset OWB which require a cover garment are the most comfortable from what I understand

Now this all hear say and your milage may vary...

A thigh holster would work, but your attacker may think your trying to get freaky with him with you start lifting up your dress or skirt lol...
:s0114: Hey... whatever works ya know. :winkkiss: You aren't the first person to say or think this. But in truth... if you wear it low enough at close to arm length and when possible always on the outside of the leg, it's decently easy to draw without them noticing (given you have time like with the kind of guys that are trying to engage you in conversation--not during times you just get jumped). I drew once when two guys were blocking me from moving past them going up to a store and held the gun behind my skirt during the entire encounter. That time I never ended up showing my gun and they never saw it. You can get an idea of this on our very lame youtube video (skip to 2:30 since it's a demo video). I have done this at least 3 times in under 3 years when you just aren't comfortable full blown drawing it on the guy, but you just aren't comfortable waiting it out to see what happens. P.S. That Sig is probably my most favorite carry gun--nice choice IMHO.

My wife used to carry a fanny pack to carry her guns. She was quite fast opening it with her left hand and drawing her gun with her right. We traveled alot and the gun was allways worn. While certianly out of style for the younger generation it served my wife well for years.

jj

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads