JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking about reloading .223/5.56 and possibly .308. Have been using a Lee LoadMaster for the last 10 years or so and have reloaded 20-30k 9mm with this press. Most all videos I've seen show that case prep for rifle ammunition is best done on a single stage press. Here's what I believe is one of the best videos. The guy seems to do an excellent job of explaining the steps, not only the physical actions but the reason they're being done. I've seen some single stage presses on the classified here and also looked at several online. is there any brand that is best or are they all pretty much the same for this operation?

This is mostly for blasting ammo but may want to get more precise for the .308.

RCBS Rockchucker (supreme or otherwise).

Strong enough and large enough to accommodate the calibers you mentioned and more, and precise enough to load match grade ammunition.

Oh and customer service is some the best you'll get!

Thinking about reloading .223/5.56 and possibly .308. Have been using a Lee LoadMaster for the last 10 years or so and have reloaded 20-30k 9mm with this press. Most all videos I've seen show that case prep for rifle ammunition is best done on a single stage press. Here's what I believe is one of the best videos. The guy seems to do an excellent job of explaining the steps, not only the physical actions but the reason they're being done. I've seen some single stage presses on the classified here and also looked at several online. is there any brand that is best or are they all pretty much the same for this operation?

This is mostly for blasting ammo but may want to get more precise for the .308.
Any decent press will work great for just prepping cases up to .308. I would look for a used one here or places like E bay.

I would agree with Dizzy...A stout press is a good way to go....esp if you need to use (more sizing) small base dies for an AR and for the bigger stuff...way different than pistol. Lot of good presses for sale but for not much more, you can buy a Forster CO-AX. Lots of unique features ...wont list them all here and I belive they load more accurate ammo because of the design.
This is prob the best source for reloading reviews out there... https://ultimatereloader.com/

I 2nd the RCBS Rockchucker or RS, this was my first press and have been using it for dedicated resizing, swaging and collet bullet puller for 10 years.
What I like is when resizing you can adjust the die for certain amounts of cam over positions which to me is vital for consecutive results.
Also, use a case gauge AND a chamber for safety.
I would also recommend using Lanolin/Heet lube, it's slicker than owl snot on a rainy night…

Any used single stage by a reputable manufacturer would be fine for case prep or reloading. I would not rule out a turret press, it does everything a single stage does, but faster.

While I have and use a couple older RCBS single stage presses, and they can be picked up used reasonably, I agree with flashpan on the Co-Ax if it fits your budget. I really like mine. The floating die setup makes swapping dies out real quick and easy and seems like it would benefit concentricity. I prefer this type of shell holder to the other insert types on RCBS/Redding/LEE single stage presses. And with the leverage created from the design, sizing rifle brass has been pretty smooth for me.

Last Edited:
If you're going to be doing a lot of 556 and 308 your gonna have a lot of crimped primer pockets. The lee APP press is great for removing the crimp fast. It has a "case feeder" so you can literally stage as fast as you can pull the handle. It does other processes as well. But that's a big one in my book. You can also deprime, size cast bullets. They're only like $80 iirc. I wouldn't try resizing cases... it's not a robust press. But for the swaging, you can't beat it.

For my rifle loading I like to deprime, then wet tumbler so to be able to just crank the handle super fast eliminates the tediousness of a traditional single stage.

I used a Rock Chucker for decades. Still have it. However, I rolled the dice and bought a Lee Classic Cast (cast iron from railroad rails) press. Very strong, large "window", and the handle is adjustable for length and height. You need only small leverage and a short handle to resize 380s, for example. Yet, extend the handle and it will resize any commerical caliber, and Lee sells a specific 50 BMG kit employing the cast iron press. Spent primers fall through the hollow ram into a tube which can be plced in a jar or can to collect the primers.

Last Edited:
I'll add, to not go with a cheap Lee press. I'm not sure which one it was, might have been the Challenger. I had a member come to my house with his Lee press to see why he couldn't get it to work for him. It wouldn't bump the shoulder back .003" on a .223 case. I don't know why. That ram got to the top and the handle wouldn't move that case shoulder for nuthin'! The press seemed quite flimsy compared to the RCBS press I use.
Get heavy, and seemingly overbuilt.

The more I look into this, the more I see some different ways to get the job done, especially swaging primer pockets. I've got several thousand pieces of range pickup 223/556, many after LEO training so can expect to see many different types of brass.

The more I look into this, the more I see some different ways to get the job done, especially swaging primer pockets. I've got several thousand pieces of range pickup 223/556, many after LEO training so can expect to see many different types of brass.
I bought this one.

However, before I bought that I borrowed (from a good member) this one...

Oh baby! It was sweet!

Dang, the prices have sure gone up on both of those choices.

Get a press with compound leverage like a Rockchucker or Hornady Classic or Redding Big Boss.
This single station press will always be useful to you, so get a get one with compound power.
Not a straight-pull like a RCBS Junior.
Off set "O" frame is great for right-handers.

Last Edited:
I have both RCBS Rock Chucker, and a Lee allot O frame press. I would not shy away from the alloy press for any standard duty reloading job. It has a short throw and a short handle that combine to make the required arm movement much less.
Where the Rock Chucker comes into its own is when you get into swaging, creating your own wildcat calibers by forming a new case from an old , Or forming jacketed bullets. That's where the extra strength, and mechanical advantage come in most handy.
The truth is any reloading press will do the standard tasks.
If you are looking at used presses, the ones to avoid are the old ones that used proprietary shell holders. [ you can get adapters to use modern shell holders but why]
And I would stay away from Lee's open front alloy press. There are lots of that design in Cast Iron that held up fine, but in alloy not so much.
As far as how accurate you can load ammo on any press, That is controlled by how well you set up your dies, and your own process. The press only puts upward pressure on the shell holder, and holds the die in the upper half. It contributes very little else. DR

Is Hornady One Shot a good case lube or should I go straight to the lanolin/Heet combination.?
I used RCBS lube with an RCBS lube pad for over 20 years. I still have them, but for the past 5 or 10 I have used Hornady Unique lube in the tub. You just put a little on your fingers and apply to the case and it works great. A single tub will lube thousands of cases and I just wipe it off with a towel.

Is Hornady One Shot a good case lube or should I go straight to the lanolin/Heet combination.?
It's ok as long as you use plenty and FULLY allow the cases to dry. Don't use it while it's still wet/drying. The same applies to using the HEET/Lanolin mixture. Allow it to fully evaporate off the alcohol content.

Otherwise you'll be making good use of a stuck case puller.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top